Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every time I take my guitar out of its case...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every time I take my guitar out of its case...

...it gone sharp.

So surely that suggests the case is pressing on it somewhere. Am I likely to see any damage from this?
    http://soundcloud.com/hugespiders

This happens often for my electric guitars too... sometimes after they sit on a stand. This might suggest a flex in the neck but I can't imagine it leading to damage. Or it has to do with the strings settling in the nut and going sharp.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

Temperature change, it's to be expected. I tune up before I play regardless, it's part of playing guitar. Don't get me started on guys who don't. Okay, you have started me...

I have a mate, I love him to death but he thinks its cool when his guitar is flat or sharp compared to others we are playing with. As soon as he goes to the toilet, I tune his guitar and he comes back and remarks how well his guitar sounds...?
      One MIA Fender Strat, one Gibson Les Paul, one Martin Acoustic, what more do you need?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...ps92b32f13.gif

Comment

Every time I take my guitar out of it's case...

...You realize you didn't complete your thread title?

I hate it when that happens.

EG
        We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

I think the wood expands or contracts, resulting in tuning changes.
          The best piece of advice I ever got was when John Mayer told me, "Don't be a name dropper."

Comment

How anyone can just take out their guitar and play, especially at a gig, without tuning up first is just unbelievable...nothing "cool" bout sounding like ****************
            "The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought"
            Sir Thomas Beecham

Comment

I think the wood expands or contracts, resulting in tuning changes.

This is the correct answer. It's simple physics. The wood on your guitar has more mass and only contracts a small amount while the strings contract more. That means the guitar SHOULD be sharp. If it isn't you may have tuners slipping, sloppy string winding or something else physically wrong with the guitar. When you find a guitar that's sharp, but still in tune with itself when pulled out of the case, keep that mutha!
              There can never be a perfect plan. What's perfect for one human bean ain't perfect for the next one. Cuz he's a lentil.

Comment

My guitars have done this for 30 years.

I've never thought anything of it.
                "Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans..."
                - John Lennon
                Videos of me playing guitar!

My original music

Stupid, meaningless HC clubs I'm a PROUD member of:
                Epiphone Empire
                F-Holes (Semi-Hollow and Hollowbody owners)
                Marshall Circle of Tone
                SG ARMY

Comment

Mine do the same thing, and they're out on stands; I always tune them before I play.
                  Everyone wants to shine: who wants to polish?
                  Good deals with: RadioSilence

Comment

Simple, tune that motha!
                    dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

I never believed those people who say that their guitar always stay in tune. Metal expands and contracts depending on the temperature, that's how thermostats used to work.
                      "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."- George Orwell

My music: http://www.oranjproductions.com

The first website dedicated to the the baritone guitar: http://www.thebaritoneguitar.com

Comment

...You realize you didn't complete your thread title?

I hate it when that happens.

EG

So I'm not the only one annoyed by that?...
                        __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

Was the guitar tuned when you bought it?
                          Geezer Brigade Trooper #30
                          1st generation Irish

Comment

Well, the first thing you have to do is find and capture the tuning gremlins that are probably living in your case, or perhaps even in your guitar. They like to hide in the cracks and crevices... inside folded paper, guitar string packs, etc. They are pretty hard to see with the naked eye. Your best bet is to trap them. You do this by putting sticky double-sided tape on your tuning buttons. Leave it overnight, and the next morning put on a pair of leather gloves and tightly squeeze each tuning button... hopefully you will kill them. Do this a couple times and that should take care of your tuning problem. You can also spray your guitar down with bug killer (that's what tuning gremlins really are... just little annoying bugs). If you do this, you should test it first in an area like under the pickguard to make sure it won't harm your finish. Poly is usually OK,... I don't recommend using it on nitro.

...or you can do what everyone else is suggesting... just tune your guitar each time. Your choice.

Good luck!
                            Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

So I'm not the only one annoyed by that?...

Nope!!!
                              Originally Posted by book_of_lies777

.......... if you practice the wrong things, you can get real good at not being very good.

Originally Posted by aenemated

I question many things about a person that does not love the Ramones.

Comment

Working...
                              X