Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Anderson vs. Suhr: Let's start the year with a debate!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by timmyfirst
    View Post

They're impeccably built and sound great but they seem to have no soul or vibe to them

Ugh this argument. Maybe you just didnt know how to get the tone you wanted out of it. But to say "no soul or vibe" regarding any guitar is just... ugh. There is no such ting as soul or vibe (and if there is it certainly would be out of guitars like suhr, not some run of the mill strat or LP for sure).

Comment

Neither?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rock-lobster
        View Post

Ugh this argument. Maybe you just didnt know how to get the tone you wanted out of it. But to say "no soul or vibe" regarding any guitar is just... ugh. There is no such ting as soul or vibe (and if there is it certainly would be out of guitars like suhr, not some run of the mill strat or LP for sure).

All that fancy music school edumuhcation and they didn't teach you about soul and vibe? No wonder music today sucks.. You need to find yourself a Willie Brown and go hoboing..
        Signature...

Comment

"No soul or vibe" easily translates to "just didn't like it." Nothing wrong with that. They're just trying to give some sort of expression about something that's difficult to describe.
          Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD
            View Post

Suhr and Anderson are both trying to capture what Fender has had since 1954.. Personally, I'll take a good Fender over either of them, all day long.

with their strat/tele models they are. they both do a lot more than that though. i think anderson has some bolt on bigsby stuff that's not fender like at all and suhr makes as many super strat types as they do strats.

Comment

They lack groove and mojo.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD
                View Post

All that fancy music school edumuhcation and they didn't teach you about soul and vibe? No wonder music today sucks.. You need to find yourself a Willie Brown and go hoboing..

Let me translate. I think music can have plenty of soul. A guitar, hell no. It either sounds good for what you do or it doesn't, and in either case it's your call how much soul you put into the music from there. I just can't stand when people say something like "it played and sounded good but had no mojo." IMO if it played and sounded good it's you who has no mojo

Comment

I've never played a Tom Anderson, but I sure would like to. I have played a bunch of Suhrs, however, and two of them - the 2010 LE and a Standard Carve Archtop were by far the best two guitars I've ever played. Notes just lept out of them, they were effortless to play, super dynamic and expressive, and they sounded absolutely full and gorgeous. Simply flawless. I've played a bunch of Suhrs that didn't click with me at all, even with similar specs, but those two... wow. A friend of my has a Guthrie Govan signature Suhr modern and it's a pretty amazing guitar as well.
                  Multiple award winning blues/rock/country at http://www.zeyerband.com or http://www.reverbnation.com/zeyer.Check my solo (instrumental rock) projects at: http://www.reverbnation.com/vincedickinson"Music is like the English language - it's just full of rules that need to be broken or you aren't hip.""It doesn't take talent to upgrade your playing. It takes patience" - Kenny Werner

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation
                    View Post

They are very nice guitars but for the prices both of them charge you could get high end Japanese guitars that will embarrass them in my opinion.

can you give examples?.... i'm interested in your opinion as to which are the top japanese strats in particular... i've seen you mention momose before yeah?

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by rock-lobster
                      View Post

If it played and sounded good, it's you who has no mojo.

grammar corrected, QFT.
                      The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by smorgdonkey
                        View Post

I don't find that about Suhr but I know what you mean because I found that PRS seems that way to me. It's an intangible that we can't explain as humans I suppose.

I agree that no human has ever been able to explain this in any coherent way. I guess that's why I think it's absurd.
                        ~Heel

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DaleH
                          View Post

Suhr pickups are great.

What makes them better than others? Pickups are very easy to replicate so you could take it apart and create the same thing, could you not?
                          Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by elsupermanny14
                            View Post

Which do you think is better and why? Let loose!

In a blind test with the same amps, etc., you would have a hard time telling the difference IMO.
                            Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

I've heard the "no soul", "no mojo", "no vibe" comments about these two brands along with other boutique brands on other forums as well. I wonder if it comes down to the "Jack White" theory? He likes a guitar that isn't perfect and requires him to work at playing it.

Most of these boutique brands are as close to perfect as humanly possible.....excellent wood selection, quality components, excellent finish work, often have contour cuts and so forth to make them more ergonomic, flawless setups including fret leveling/crowning, etc. Perhaps that perfection takes the "vibe" or whatever out of the instruments for a lot of people?

Comment

I own two Suhrs, and I've played a ton of Andersons. I even have Suhr pickups in one parts guitar and I have a set on order for another right now....I dig the SUhr Aesthetic more but they both make great instruments. At the end of the day they are only the tools. You make the music.
                                Vote for me on Truefire.coms "Next Top Guitar Instructor" contest
                                McFeely Custom Guitars Artist
                                MarkWein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X