Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wanted to learn more about 'doom' music...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I wanted to learn more about 'doom' music...

    ...so I figured I'd check out that band with an unpronounceable logo at the end of their name. I feel without any context this was a mistake.






    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtnG6EHh1N4





    Help me to understand your doomey ways, do I need to witness it live or something
    Originally Posted by RoboPimp


    doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?



    Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

  • #2
    that would fall into the Drone category.



    and yes, you need to witness it live.



    "Domkirke" is probably THE live album to check out by them. listen to Monoliths & Dimensions really loud as well.
    "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

    "play in church.. Jesus will provide reverb" - wiklund87

    "Flaming Korg solos don't grow on trees." - big69

    Comment


    • #3
      Just reading a news article on them








      If you thought the My Bloody Valentine reunion gigs were loud, then you clearly haven't heard these California doom merchants at their bowel-loosening best.



      Do these guys ever play shows in the UK? They look/sound crazy, I feel I need to see them play
      Originally Posted by RoboPimp


      doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?



      Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

      Comment


      • #4
        Sunn 0))) is definitely not doom. I would personally argue that it
        Recent good deals: Fruvai, Darkmavis, Mind_Riot89, jeid2000, Krish, andthenurse, JDE, figjamaussie, Slow Life, The Riffer, Netstar, SimplyBen, magnum pi, WAWBanks, Hides-His-Eyes, Neoflox, woolyh, AidyCM, Gambit, MPH, joshp13589

        DCC Engineering - custom cabinets, pedals and amps.
        Omens - my band







        Originally Posted by FreekishBluesFX


        Let me see you piss on me and I will show you my tits. Well it no work that way. You need to rub my balls first. And balls I mean testicles

        Comment


        • #5
          No wait, thats Sludge



          my bad its, Crushing



          No actually, its Wall O Sound



          **************** it, its just Sabbath played at different tempos
          O)))

          Comment


          • #6






            Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982
            View Post

            Sunn 0))) is definitely not doom.




            I dunno, it was the only band name I recognised on the "List of doom metal bands" Wikipedia page.
            Originally Posted by RoboPimp


            doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?



            Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

            Comment


            • #7






              Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris1982
              View Post

              Sunn 0))) is definitely not doom. I would personally argue that it
              Got Funk?

              Good deals with: wilsoneffectsll, mr cheef, the.nameless, kpd78, Seano_Porno, jonPhillips, gjhardwick, Korgi

              Selling: PRICE DROP!! NEED TO SELL ASAP
              AMT Japanese Girl WH-1
              Zoom Multistomp
              Digitech RP3 Blue version
              Wilson Effects Uber Fubar Bliss


              want to buy:
              EHX Ring Thing
              Devi Ever Hyperion
              Orange Crush The Button Wampler.
              BAT Pharaoh

              Comment


              • #8
                This genre is confusing, so generally any metal band with lots of fuzz and a slow tempo is doom?



                Are Fu Manchu doom? I do love the Fu






                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zko7pBeHkk
                Originally Posted by RoboPimp


                doesn't everyone have a psychedelic dungeon?



                Cool people : Tengo, jah_vengeance, Supernova9, scott_tele, 21rush12, HeartfeltDawn, Kaz2550, Kayzer, daysofspeed, kpd78, RoboPimp, jrkirkish, WAWBanks, PerFusionist, Pointer, wiklund87, tubezipper, Foamoi_refreshe, melx, JRBain, arcaneaether, Barnaby, Hardly, strtdv, sh333, RadioSilence, deftoneboy, Poltergeist, Snufkino, Mogwai, Soapbars, fuzzface71, JDE and loads more...

                Comment


                • #9






                  Quote Originally Posted by woolyh
                  View Post

                  This genre is confusing, so generally any metal band with lots of fuzz and a slow tempo is doom?



                  Are Fu Manchu doom? I do love the Fu






                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zko7pBeHkk




                  Fu Manchu are not Doom, they're most definitely stoner.



                  Yob is doom:




                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdxiEmvHVvI





                  Dark Castle is Doom:




                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0hXYMXbrg
                  http://www.facebook.com/thegloriousrebellion
                  http://thegloriousrebellion.bandcamp.com

                  Comment


                  • #10






                    Quote Originally Posted by woolyh
                    View Post

                    This genre is confusing, so generally any metal band with lots of fuzz and a slow tempo is doom?



                    Are Fu Manchu doom? I do love the Fu






                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zko7pBeHkk




                    Fu Manchu are not Doom, they're most definitely stoner.



                    Yob is doom:




                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdxiEmvHVvI





                    Dark Castle is Doom:




                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0hXYMXbrg
                    http://www.facebook.com/thegloriousrebellion
                    http://thegloriousrebellion.bandcamp.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      cue 4000 example videos/different opinions of what constitutes 'doom'.
                      my band Bloody Mammals on facebook and bandcamp

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        that would be stoner / desert rock variant.



                        try listening to the following:



                        Red Fang

                        Bardo Pond's earlier albums ("Bufo Alvarius, Amen" to "Amanita")

                        Yawning Man

                        Fatso Jackson

                        Clutch

                        Dead Meadow

                        Nebula

                        Unida

                        Kyuss















                        i also recommend you checking out a documentary called "Such Hawks Such Hounds" before you venture that much further, that would be a great place to start. it's streaming on Youtube, the full thing, i recommend it to you and to anyone.
                        "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

                        "play in church.. Jesus will provide reverb" - wiklund87

                        "Flaming Korg solos don't grow on trees." - big69

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yawning Man doesn't really sound much like any of those other bands, more psychedelic than heavy at all...
                          my band Bloody Mammals on facebook and bandcamp

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            all i know is i ****************ing love Yawning Man and to me it seems appropriate on that list Rock Formations is a masterpiece.
                            "15 layers of oscillating delays and samples of hedgehogs having sex. There's your chorus." - hwaorang

                            "play in church.. Jesus will provide reverb" - wiklund87

                            "Flaming Korg solos don't grow on trees." - big69

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              BORIS



                              they are loud, they are awesome. but depending on the track/album, you'll get doom, sludge, stoner, shoegaze and other subgenres.
                              we could be dangerous: art, as a real threat

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X