Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by killswitch_19

With the master at 5 and the channel volume at 6 on the crunch channel, my amp is DEAD silent. It's nuts.

However, I'm having major problems with my amp right now. I don't know what happened, but it just sounds very harsh to my ears right now. It's pissing me off. I'm gonna go do some preamp tube swapping and see if I can come up with something good.

That is odd because mine stays pretty consistent. If you want I am looking to get rid of my 12dw7 because it just doesn't do it for me. Let me know if you want to trade for a 12at7 which I think will do better in my PI slot for me with the 12at7 in V1 as well. Do you have a power conditioner? I used to have changes in my tone from day to day until I got one of those.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">my clips: <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio" target="_blank">www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio</a>-JSXJCM800 <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    My fingers, PRS and Taylor guitars, Budda, Fryette and Orange amps, Genz Benz cabs, Line6 effects and wireless, various dirt and fuzz boxes.</div>

Comment

• Hey man. Nah I don't have a power conditioner. I pulled the 12DW7 out of V2 to screw around and it seemed to make things worse. But I did switch out one of my Chinese pre-amp tubes for another high-gain JJ and it helped a bit. I think I'm gonna put the 12DW7 back in and then experiment with the 12AT7 in V1 to see what I can come up with.

How did the 12AT7 affect the tone of your amp?

And my drummer came over yesterday and said the tone is all in my head. He said it still sounds unreal, so if must just be me.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Krank Rev Jr. Pro 50 Watt<br />
      Mesa Traditional 2x12<br />
      PRS SE w/ EMG 81/60<br />
      ISP Decimator<br />
      Randall RG 100SC G2 Combo</div>

Comment

Hey man. Nah I don't have a power conditioner. I pulled the 12DW7 out of V2 to screw around and it seemed to make things worse. But I did switch out one of my Chinese pre-amp tubes for another high-gain JJ and it helped a bit. I think I'm gonna put the 12DW7 back in and then experiment with the 12AT7 in V1 to see what I can come up with.

How did the 12AT7 affect the tone of your amp?

And my drummer came over yesterday and said the tone is all in my head. He said it still sounds unreal, so if must just be me.

The 12at7 is perfect in the v1 to me. It lowered the gain just enough so it cleans up really nicely with the guitar's volume control and I can now dial in some nice crunchy blues tones or some jcm 800 type crunch sounds on the crunch channel. It also seems to make the clean channel a little nicer as well. I have the 12dw7 in the PI slot now and I like it but I can't help but think another 12at7 would be better in there. I am probably going to find out here soon. I really didn't like the 12dw7 at all to be honest in v1, v2, or v3. It did cut the gain down but it seemed to change the overall tone of the amp to something I really didn't care for, it seemed to make the low end kind of dull to my ears. BTW, I think your drummer is probably right, I have had days when I thought my tone sucked and the rest of the band couldn't tell a difference.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">my clips: <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio" target="_blank">www.soundclick.com/angrygodsoftheradio</a>-JSXJCM800 <br />
        <br />
        <br />
        My fingers, PRS and Taylor guitars, Budda, Fryette and Orange amps, Genz Benz cabs, Line6 effects and wireless, various dirt and fuzz boxes.</div>

Comment

• BTW, I think your drummer is probably right, I have had days when I thought my tone sucked and the rest of the band couldn't tell a difference.

I think he's probably right too. Because I talk so much about amps and ****************, and show him clips non stop he's beginning to understand what good tone is and he gets all excited to introduce me to a new band that he thinks has great tone. And he's usually right. Well I mentioned yesterday about possibly ditching the XXX for something else.....I thought he was gonna drill me in the face lol. It's probably just me.
          ISP Decimator<br />

Comment

I think he's probably right too. Because I talk so much about amps and ****************, and show him clips non stop he's beginning to understand what good tone is and he gets all excited to introduce me to a new band that he thinks has great tone. And he's usually right. Well I mentioned yesterday about possibly ditching the XXX for something else.....I thought he was gonna drill me in the face lol. It's probably just me.

I sometimes drive myself crazy tweaking my tone and thinking it just doesn't sound right. Lately I have just been concentrating on practicing and improving my playing more than messing with tone and guess what, my tone is getting better because my playing is. My very first guitar teacher was a monster on the guitar and could play circles around most anyone I knew or know now. He said he really didn't care what guitar or amp he played through because after a while the differences were small to him. I hope to be to that level at some point here.
            <br />
            <br />

Comment

• What is required to 'convert' the XXX to use EL34 tubes?
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Agile Intrepid Dual<br />
              Ibanez RG7321 w/liquifire-n - paf-b<br />
              Peavey Ultra Plus<br />
              Digitech GSP1101<br />
              Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab<br />
              NS-2/Bad Monkey/Boss FW-3<br />
              TC Electronics Gmajor<br />
              <br />
              <font color="Blue">Good Transactions:</font> Lucius, EdgeOvThorns</font></div>

Comment

• Originally posted by UVguy

What is required to 'convert' the XXX to use EL34 tubes?

You just flick the button to EL34 and all done!

Comment

• Originally posted by batotman

You just flick the button to EL34 and all done!

Ah, sweet. Simple. Thanks.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Agile Intrepid Dual<br />
                  Ibanez RG7321 w/liquifire-n - paf-b<br />
                  Peavey Ultra Plus<br />
                  Digitech GSP1101<br />
                  Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab<br />
                  NS-2/Bad Monkey/Boss FW-3<br />
                  TC Electronics Gmajor<br />
                  <br />
                  <font color="Blue">Good Transactions:</font> Lucius, EdgeOvThorns</font></div>

Comment

• I finally ended tube swapping and now have an all JJ setup.

V1 - 803s

V2 - 12DW7

V3 - High Gain 12AX7

V4 - Balaced High Gain 12AX7

I'm pretty happy with it for now. I think I'm gonna get a new cab though.
                    ISP Decimator<br />

Comment

I finally ended tube swapping and now have an all JJ setup.

V1 - 803s

V2 - 12DW7

V3 - High Gain 12AX7

V4 - Balaced High Gain 12AX7

I'm pretty happy with it for now. I think I'm gonna get a new cab though.

You're running damn near what I have, except I put a JAN 12AT7 in the PI/V4 spot.

As for the cab, I'm pretty happy with the 5150 for the most part, although I am toying with the idea of putting some porting in it, I have seen some port tubes from some amp parts store on Ebay. I would have to be real careful modifing it though, too much porting can screw up the cab from what I have been told.

I am really eyeballing those Buzzbomb cabs hard I saw Gainfreak raving about a while back, they had a PERFECTLY matching one for my head. It was a 2x12 just like a Genz-Benz G-Flex except in all black with flat black diamond plate, porting, the works!
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&amp;q=Gibson+M-III+pictures&amp;um=1&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;source=univ&amp;ei=kq8oTIvKDcL38AaWksC3Dw&am p;sa=X&amp;oi=image_result_group&amp;ct=title&amp; resnum=1&amp;ved=0CCMQsAQwAA" target="_blank"><b><font size="3">The Gibson M-III</font></b></a><br />
                      <i>....my weapon of choice for sonic destruction.</i><br />
                      <a href="http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4964/miiisggliverig.gif" target="_blank"><br />
                      My live rig...</a><a href="http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5220/miiisggstereorigbn4.gif" target="_blank">stereo rig...</a><a href="http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srig7ge.jpg" target="_blank">and pics of mah gear!</a></div>

Comment

• Originally posted by M-III

You're running damn near what I have, except I put a JAN 12AT7 in the PI/V4 spot.

As for the cab, I'm pretty happy with the 5150 for the most part, although I am toying with the idea of putting some porting in it, I have seen some port tubes from some amp parts store on Ebay. I would have to be real careful modifing it though, too much porting can screw up the cab from what I have been told.

I am really eyeballing those Buzzbomb cabs hard I saw Gainfreak raving about a while back, they had a PERFECTLY matching one for my head. It was a 2x12 just like a Genz-Benz G-Flex except in all black with flat black diamond plate, porting, the works!

M-III you have to be really careful porting cabs that weren't designed for it because you could end up with a flubby piece of crap or blown speakers. I would just get a new cab if I were you because believe me these heads sound a lot better with a G-flex or something similar.
                        <br />
                        <br />

Comment

• Originally posted by Sordid1

M-III you have to be really careful porting cabs that weren't designed for it because you could end up with a flubby piece of crap or blown speakers. I would just get a new cab if I were you because believe me these heads sound a lot better with a G-flex or something similar.

Yea, I know, me and my drummer already had this analysis/discussion, he's already done such a job to one of his brother's guitar cabs some years ago when they used to play together. He put maybe one or two ports on the cab. He did a good job and he said it sounded much better in the bass registers and overall punch. However, his brother went crazy and added some more ports afterwards from what I remember and he totally fubared the cab. Considering all of this, if I do add any ports, they will be small ones on the back panel, as that can be replaced easily.

Yea the G-Flex's are amazing with the Triple XXX, I have played them extensively at the local shops (Zeaglers) here in town with that combination they had in stock. If I had to choose all over again when I was looking for a cab for the Triple XXX, it would have been that, without a doubt.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&amp;q=Gibson+M-III+pictures&amp;um=1&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;source=univ&amp;ei=kq8oTIvKDcL38AaWksC3Dw&am p;sa=X&amp;oi=image_result_group&amp;ct=title&amp; resnum=1&amp;ved=0CCMQsAQwAA" target="_blank"><b><font size="3">The Gibson M-III</font></b></a><br />
                          <i>....my weapon of choice for sonic destruction.</i><br />
                          <a href="http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4964/miiisggliverig.gif" target="_blank"><br />
                          My live rig...</a><a href="http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5220/miiisggstereorigbn4.gif" target="_blank">stereo rig...</a><a href="http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srig7ge.jpg" target="_blank">and pics of mah gear!</a></div>

Comment

• Originally posted by M-III

Yea, I know, me and my drummer already had this analysis/discussion, he's already done such a job to one of his brother's guitar cabs some years ago when they used to play together. He put maybe one or two ports on the cab. He did a good job and he said it sounded much better in the bass registers and overall punch. However, his brother went crazy and added some more ports afterwards from what I remember and he totally fubared the cab. Considering all of this, if I do add any ports, they will be small ones on the back panel, as that can be replaced easily.

Yea the G-Flex's are amazing with the Triple XXX, I have played them extensively at the local shops (Zeaglers) here in town with that combination they had in stock. If I had to choose all over again when I was looking for a cab for the Triple XXX, it would have been that, without a doubt.

you also have to factor in the impressing the guitarist in other bands thing with those too. Every show we play I have three or four guitarist huddling around my rig checking my cab out since the average guy hasn't seen them before.
                            <br />
                            <br />

Comment

• I just had to post a pic in here....

I'm "storing" my buddy's 2X12 for him. Actually, he said I'm free to use it anytime I want so that's cool. The triple xxx sounds amazing through this cab.

Comment

• Originally posted by als_lespaul

I just had to post a pic in here....

I'm "storing" my buddy's 2X12 for him. Actually, he said I'm free to use it anytime I want so that's cool. The triple xxx sounds amazing through this cab.

I love the look of the treadplate with the logo on there. I'm waiting till someone sells one that won't require me to cut up the original.
                                <br />
                                <br />

Comment

Working...
                                X