Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by killswitch_19
I finally ended tube swapping and now have an all JJ setup.

V1 - 803s
V2 - 12DW7
V3 - High Gain 12AX7
V4 - Balaced High Gain 12AX7

I'm pretty happy with it for now. I think I'm gonna get a new cab though.
You're running damn near what I have, except I put a JAN 12AT7 in the PI/V4 spot. cool.gificon14.gif

As for the cab, I'm pretty happy with the 5150 for the most part, although I am toying with the idea of putting some porting in it, I have seen some port tubes from some amp parts store on Ebay. I would have to be real careful modifing it though, too much porting can screw up the cab from what I have been told.

I am really eyeballing those Buzzbomb cabs hard I saw Gainfreak raving about a while back, they had a PERFECTLY matching one for my head. It was a 2x12 just like a Genz-Benz G-Flex except in all black with flat black diamond plate, porting, the works!

• Members
Originally posted by M-III

You're running damn near what I have, except I put a JAN 12AT7 in the PI/V4 spot. cool.gificon14.gif

As for the cab, I'm pretty happy with the 5150 for the most part, although I am toying with the idea of putting some porting in it, I have seen some port tubes from some amp parts store on Ebay. I would have to be real careful modifing it though, too much porting can screw up the cab from what I have been told.

I am really eyeballing those Buzzbomb cabs hard I saw Gainfreak raving about a while back, they had a PERFECTLY matching one for my head. It was a 2x12 just like a Genz-Benz G-Flex except in all black with flat black diamond plate, porting, the works!
M-III you have to be really careful porting cabs that weren't designed for it because you could end up with a flubby piece of crap or blown speakers. I would just get a new cab if I were you because believe me these heads sound a lot better with a G-flex or something similar.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

M-III you have to be really careful porting cabs that weren't designed for it because you could end up with a flubby piece of crap or blown speakers. I would just get a new cab if I were you because believe me these heads sound a lot better with a G-flex or something similar.
Yea, I know, me and my drummer already had this analysis/discussion, he's already done such a job to one of his brother's guitar cabs some years ago when they used to play together. He put maybe one or two ports on the cab. He did a good job and he said it sounded much better in the bass registers and overall punch. However, his brother went crazy and added some more ports afterwards from what I remember and he totally fubared the cab. Considering all of this, if I do add any ports, they will be small ones on the back panel, as that can be replaced easily.

Yea the G-Flex's are amazing with the Triple XXX, I have played them extensively at the local shops (Zeaglers) here in town with that combination they had in stock. If I had to choose all over again when I was looking for a cab for the Triple XXX, it would have been that, without a doubt.

• Members

Yea, I know, me and my drummer already had this analysis/discussion, he's already done such a job to one of his brother's guitar cabs some years ago when they used to play together. He put maybe one or two ports on the cab. He did a good job and he said it sounded much better in the bass registers and overall punch. However, his brother went crazy and added some more ports afterwards from what I remember and he totally fubared the cab. Considering all of this, if I do add any ports, they will be small ones on the back panel, as that can be replaced easily.

Yea the G-Flex's are amazing with the Triple XXX, I have played them extensively at the local shops (Zeaglers) here in town with that combination they had in stock. If I had to choose all over again when I was looking for a cab for the Triple XXX, it would have been that, without a doubt.
you also have to factor in the impressing the guitarist in other bands thing with those too. Every show we play I have three or four guitarist huddling around my rig checking my cab out since the average guy hasn't seen them before.

• Members
Originally posted by als_lespaul
I just had to post a pic in here....

sweetrig.jpg

I'm "storing" my buddy's 2X12 for him. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Actually, he said I'm free to use it anytime I want so that's cool. The triple xxx sounds amazing through this cab.smile.gif
I love the look of the treadplate with the logo on there. I'm waiting till someone sells one that won't require me to cut up the original.

• Members

Yeah, mine actually has the original peavey face plate behine my treadplate. I just cut a hole in the treadplate so that the logo shows through. Man, if we were neighbors, I'd just invite you over one afternoon and we'd take my jigsaw and cut one up for you! Maybe we should meet in Minnesota somewhere biggrin.gif j/k.

• Members
Yeah, mine actually has the original peavey face plate behine my treadplate. I just cut a hole in the treadplate so that the logo shows through. Man, if we were neighbors, I'd just invite you over one afternoon and we'd take my jigsaw and cut one up for you! Maybe we should meet in Minnesota somewhere biggrin.gif j/k.
I just need to find someone with a jig saw down here. Although I would love to meet a fellow forumite I don't know if I can justify the gas prices right now. Thanks for invite though, I will get mine done here soon hopefully.

• Members

I just need to find someone with a jig saw down here. Although I would love to meet a fellow forumite I don't know if I can justify the gas prices right now. Thanks for invite though, I will get mine done here soon hopefully.
Yeah man, just kidding about the minnesota thing. Gas prices are out of control right now. If you end up having some trouble finding someone with a jigsaw, let me know. Maybe we could work something out where I cut one for you and ship it to you. I think the piece of diamond tread only cost me roughly $15. It's a little lower grade than what Mesa uses (i.e. not as shiny) but I just used some crome polish and a rag and it seems to look good enough. That shiny diamond tread is very expensive. At least twice the price of the stuff I used. I may try buffing mine a little too.

• Members

Yeah man, just kidding about the minnesota thing. Gas prices are out of control right now. If you end up having some trouble finding someone with a jigsaw, let me know. Maybe we could work something out where I cut one for you and ship it to you. I think the piece of diamond tread only cost me roughly $15. It's a little lower grade than what Mesa uses (i.e. not as shiny) but I just used some crome polish and a rag and it seems to look good enough. That shiny diamond tread is very expensive. At least twice the price of the stuff I used. I may try buffing mine a little too.
Go to your local auto parts store and buy some blue magic metal polish! Best {censored} on the market! I saw it shine up some 2 decade old diamond tread mudflaps off a truck and make them look brand spankin new! It's a blue paste that smells like ammonia and it's about $5.

• Members
Originally posted by Omichron

Go to your local auto parts store and buy some blue magic metal polish! Best {censored} on the market! I saw it shine up some 2 decade old diamond tread mudflaps off a truck and make them look brand spankin new! It's a blue paste that smells like ammonia and it's about $5.
thanks, I talked to a buddy and he has a jigsaw so now I just have to locate some treadplate locally here.

• Members

anyone know the dimensions of the faceplate? I'm not home right now but there is a machine shop down the street and I am going to check and see if they have some.

• Members

anyone know the dimensions of the faceplate? I'm not home right now but there is a machine shop down the street and I am going to check and see if they have some.
Hey bro, I just measured my replacement faceplate and the dimensions are :

24 1/2 inches long by 5 1/16 inches wide. Hope that helps!

• Members

Hey bro, I just measured my replacement faceplate and the dimensions are :

24 1/2 inches long by 5 1/16 inches wide. Hope that helps!
you rock, i'm putting you on my buddy list. I am heading over to a shop in town that sells the stuff here in an hour or so. I talked to a friend that races sprint cars and he said they sell it dirt cheap and cut to size. thanks again

• Members
Originally posted by Omichron

Good info, thanks!

• Members

you rock, i'm putting you on my buddy list. I am heading over to a shop in town that sells the stuff here in an hour or so. I talked to a friend that races sprint cars and he said they sell it dirt cheap and cut to size. thanks again
That's awesome! Good luck with the project!

• Members

You might also want the hole sizes/dimensions too Sordid and if so, I will try to get them for ya this weekend. Hell I could even draft ya up a schematic(in AutoCAD, Microstation, etc, etc) to give to those guys to produce the plate for ya if you want. smile.gif

• Members
You might also want the hole sizes/dimensions too Sordid and if so, I will try to get them for ya this weekend. Hell I could even draft ya up a schematic(in AutoCAD, Microstation, etc, etc) to give to those guys to produce the plate for ya if you want. smile.gif
M-III that would be amazingly cool of you to do that. I am going to talk to them about what it would cost to have them drill everything and cut out the logo. I might just take my existing faceplate with me and have them go from there. If it's too much I am just going to buy the material and do the work with a buddy of mine.

• Members

alright guys I now have a cut to size piece of diamond plate in my posession. Tonight I am going to drill the holes and put it on until I get a chance to get the logo cut out. Best part was it was only $5.00.

• Members
alright guys I now have a cut to size piece of diamond plate in my posession. Tonight I am going to drill the holes and put it on until I get a chance to get the logo cut out. Best part was it was only $5.00.
Holy! That's an awesome price man! Good job.

• Members

Holy! That's an awesome price man! Good job.
I thought so too, I drilled the holes and got it installed last night. I think I am going to leave the XXX logo off for now because I really am digging the understated look it has without it. I can always go back and cut the hole in the diamond plate if I get tired of it. This thing is going to look awesome on stage with the lights reflecting off the diamond plate!

Archived