Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Omichron
Blown fuse... I wonder what caused it? Well, off to town to get some new fuses.
I have had fuses blow before and once they were replaced there was never a problem again. If it blows again than most likely you have a bad tube since 90% of amp problems (tube obviously) are tube problems. You might have had some sort of a weird power surge or something, one of the reasons I spent the $50 for a power conditioner.

• Members

Glad to hear your problem was not serious in taking out your amp Omichron! That kind of thing would scare me too! eek.gif

If you ever want to isolate a blown tube that has taken out a fuse, here is my cheap diagnostic approach taught to me by a good friend at the local music place here in town. This will require a spare replacement power tube and some extra mains fuses:

Once a fuse has been blown and you think it might be a bad tube, use this to find out which tube has caused the fuse to blow. Replace the blown fuse with the correct replacement type. With the amp turned around with the power amp tubes facing you, turn on the power, leave it off standby for a minute to see and make sure if it blows then. If it does, it's more than likely something other than the power tubes, if not move on. Next, with your hand on the power switch(to immediately turn if off when it blows again) while still watching the power tubes, turn the amp off standby and watch for one of the tubes to light up as the fuse blows again. There you will see the problematic tube that lit up and blew the fuse, so replace it and the fuse and power it up again. If it blows the fuse again, another culprit could be at work here.(so take it to a tech!) If it powers up normally and does not blow, viola! Problem tube fixed and amp is back in working order!

Hope this info helps out some of you guys as most of the amp problems I have had in the past was usually power tubes blowing the mains fuse, this saved me ALOT of money in music store amp tech visits and hassles. smile.gifcool.gif

• Members

Thanks guys, I read that somewhere else and was going to try it. I put the new fuse in and watched the tubes, nothing happened. I took it out of standby and shredded for a good 30 minutes and still, nothing. Sounds great and it never blew the new fuse.

I'm quite confused. Must've been some kind of power surge.

• Members
Thanks guys, I read that somewhere else and was going to try it. I put the new fuse in and watched the tubes, nothing happened. I took it out of standby and shredded for a good 30 minutes and still, nothing. Sounds great and it never blew the new fuse.

I'm quite confused. Must've been some kind of power surge.
Good to hear man, it most likely won't happen again then but go out and buy a damn power conditionersurge protector. Not only will it take away any electrical noise but since the power is more consistent your amp will sound pretty much the same every day as opposed to godly one day and so so the next.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

Good to hear man, it most likely won't happen again then but go out and buy a damn power conditionersurge protector. Not only will it take away any electrical noise but since the power is more consistent your amp will sound pretty much the same every day as opposed to godly one day and so so the next.
2nd the surge protector, at the least. I don't hook anything up without one going into the outlet. Power surges/spikes/dropouts, "dirty" power sources, ground hum(bad grounding) and interference are all issues you have to deal with when it comes to electrical outlets/electricity. Get your gear some protection(and you some peace of mind!) as electricty is most of the time very uneven in power fluxes and voltages. Any variation in power or voltage beyond your equipments specs/tolerance can harm or seriously damage them, "clean up" your power sources if you are experiencing such issues!

• Members

Oh yea, I gotta post about my new band (finally) and hear the ole blackfaced Triple XXX in action! We finally have the resemblance of a site up on soundclick.com with (FINALLY!!!!)some demo tunes. If you like metalcore stuffs you might dig it, check us out! We're called Core Breach, tell me what you guys think! cool.gif

www.soundclick.com/corebreach

*update*

Holy {censored}, I just checked the songs ratings and one of our songs, "Spirits of the Dead" is already up to #37 on the list of 14,443 other songs under the Metal - Heavy Metal genre on soundclick.com! (I just uploaded them like a couple of days ago! eek.gif ) W00T!

• Members
Well, still no problems. I may change the power tubes here in a couple of weeks, I can't afford it right now. I'm leaning toward wierd power surge, even though most say that is highly unlikely.
Scratch that, it started doing the wierd pulsing noise again so I shut down the amp. 2 of the power tubes were flashing blue with each pulse. {censored}! I guess it's time to put the 6L6s back in and see what happens. What could be causing this pulsing noise?

• Members
Originally posted by M-III
Oh yea, I gotta post about my new band (finally) and hear the ole blackfaced Triple XXX in action! We finally have the resemblance of a site up on soundclick.com with (FINALLY!!!!)some demo tunes. If you like metalcore stuffs you might dig it, check us out! We're called Core Breach, tell me what you guys think! cool.gif

www.soundclick.com/corebreach

*update*

Holy {censored}, I just checked the songs ratings and one of our songs, "Spirits of the Dead" is already up to #37 on the list of 14,443 other songs under the Metal - Heavy Metal genre on soundclick.com! (I just uploaded them like a couple of days ago! eek.gif ) W00T!
Dude, I can't wait to hear your stuff but i'm at work right now and I can't get into it.

• Members

Guys I picked up a Boss SD-1 on Friday and I gotta say i'm really digging it so far. If I use it as an overdrive on the clean channel or the crunch channel with the gain way down it makes for some seriously great bluesy tones. If I turn the gain down and crank the level it gives my two lead channels a really nice tight sound. I haven't decided if I like it better with or without the boost for rythm and lead stuff but as soon as I have rehersal again I will let you know. So far so good though.

• Members
UPDATE...

Bad PI tube... I think. I put the stock one back in there and no problems so far. I'm also noticing how much of a difference the JJ made in there now.
I actually had the same issue a few months after I got mine. $70 later for a rush repair I realized it. The funny thing is that I changed every damn tube in there except for the preamp tubes because I was sure that wasn't the problem.

• Members

Hey guys, I know the XXX is pretty awesome for heavy tones, but how does it do clean/semi dirty tones? I'm looking for a jack of all trades tube amp (I mean from clean country to semi-dirty alt to blues to zep and AC/DC tones through punk and metal) I don't need exact replicas of Blackface/AC30/JMP tones, just something that will get me close for the above styles. I've been using a Line 6 spyder and it's time to get a real amp. wink.gif For most of what we would play live I think the XXX will sound awesome, but for messing around and having fun... A Road King would do it, but I don't have that kind of cash. We're talking ebay for the XXX.

Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree here? Do I need a XXX and a classic 50?

• Members

so what do you all think about the XXX Super 40 1x12 combo? basically a 40w version of an XXX head in a 1x12 cab and they merged 2 of the channels together so now there are 2 total (not a big deal for me at all). I'm coming from a 15w tube amp, but wanted something more high gain, and this seems perfect. I like to play mostly classic rock and metal, and i hear this can do both pretty damn well. Led zep, iron maiden, ac/dc, van halen, satriani, GNR, velvet revolver is mostly what I play.

think the XXX super 40 combo fits the bill?

btw - how much louder is 40 tube watts compared to 15 tube watts?

thanks

• Members
Originally posted by PFDarkside
Hey guys, I know the XXX is pretty awesome for heavy tones, but how does it do clean/semi dirty tones? I'm looking for a jack of all trades tube amp

Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree here? Do I need a XXX and a classic 50?
Go to the peavey web site and look at the XXX page, there's sound clips of all 3 channels with tight and loose damping modes, you can get a feel of what it can do overall.

• Members
Originally posted by Thexder

Go to the peavey web site and look at the XXX page, there's sound clips of all 3 channels with tight and loose damping modes, you can get a feel of what it can do overall.
Since I posted I've been doing some serious internet scouring... I found the sound clips and it seems like it does the clean well and the dirty well, but that elusive verge of breakup/harmonically complex tone is nowhere to be seen. It sounds like the JSX might be really nice, but there are no used JSX's on ebay yet. wink.gif I'll keep searching...

• Members

PFDarkside, the crunch channel with the gain about 9:00 does a very nice AC/DC type crunch. Just my opinion, others may disagree. Also very low gain on the crunch channel with an SD-1 to push can get some very nice smooth blues lead tones, I was very surprised.

Archived