Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members
Originally posted by killswitch_19

I played a JSX through a XXX 4x12, 5150 4x12 and a Marshall 4x12 w/75's the other day and I thought the XXX cab smoked all of them. Tighter, and bigger sounding. When I get the cash I'm gonna ditch my 5150 cab and get one.

Not to mention it was the cheapest cab of the bunch too.

Yeah.......im growing tired of the 5150 cab........I played thru a 1960 straight and it was totally different.........just wondering how the XXX cabs held up agaisnt some of the others....being married with a kid.....i dont have 900 bucks for a VHT Fattie, or a Genz........and like you said....they are the cheapest.....the local shop is all loaded up with harkte bass cabs and no guitar cabs, so i cant try one out till he gets some, if he ever does.......i dunno if its just me....but the 5150 cab is a bit loose and noisy.......

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by OldSkin

How are the actuall XXX cabs......worth a {censored} or nay???
They are actually pretty decent cabs and especially for the money. I still prefer the Marshall's to them as well as the Boogie cabs and of course the G-flex. The XXX cab is really tight but it has a certain mid spike to it that I don't particularly like. BTW guys, I put the 12dw7 in the PI slot and spent about an hour with it there this morning. So far I really like the sound as it seems to warm it up some and I don't notice any negatives.

• Members
Originally posted by OldSkin

Yeah.......im growing tired of the 5150 cab........I played thru a 1960 straight and it was totally different.........just wondering how the XXX cabs held up agaisnt some of the others....being married with a kid.....i dont have 900 bucks for a VHT Fattie, or a Genz........and like you said....they are the cheapest.....the local shop is all loaded up with harkte bass cabs and no guitar cabs, so i cant try one out till he gets some, if he ever does.......i dunno if its just me....but the 5150 cab is a bit loose and noisy.......
I'm kinda agreeing here...I think the XXX and 5150 stuff sound great through the 5150 cabs but the JSX seem to miss something. Now the 5150 sounds real good through Marshalls w/ Gt-75's and I'm thinking the JSX will as well.

• Members
I was also kind of turned off of the marshall cab because of all the bad press it gets around here for being cheaply made. Does anyone have one that can say otherwise?
not really, the one I used to own had good materials but the quality control just wasn't there. I had to take it apart and reinforce the center beam as well as tighten all the screws. For the money I would take a Carvin or Avatar cab if you want the celestions since they are cheaper and better made imho.

• Members
Yeah man I dunno. I was pretty impressed with the XXX cab. The other one that I'm gonna go try is the Randall XL cab w/v30's. That cab has got some great reviews.
Randall is a lot like Peavey where they make killer stuff but don't get the respect the big boys do. The XXX sounds really good with V30's, almost as good as my G-flex but not quite biggrin.gif You might want to try a G-flex 2x12. You would be surprised at how loud they get and the cab is a perfect match for the head. Wheresgrant has that setup and he said his other guitarist with a 4x12 can't keep up with him volume wise.

• Members

Nobody in my are carries Genz Benz. I'd have to go to Alberta for that which is just too much. The speakers in the XXX are V30 copies so maybe that's why I liked them so much. You're right though, they definately have this upper mid thing going on, but I figure that'll only help me cut through better in the mix.

I'm thinking about adding an MXR 10 band EQ to my setup as well. Do you have any experience running an EQ in the loop?

• Members
Nobody in my are carries Genz Benz. I'd have to go to Alberta for that which is just too much. The speakers in the XXX are V30 copies so maybe that's why I liked them so much. You're right though, they definately have this upper mid thing going on, but I figure that'll only help me cut through better in the mix.

I'm thinking about adding an MXR 10 band EQ to my setup as well. Do you have any experience running an EQ in the loop?
yes I do and I was actually going to get that one before I found a steal on the older blue MXR 6 band eq for $30 used. My eq adds a little warmth to the signal which I don't think the newer ones do. I basically have it set flat with some of the 800hz mids cut a little and some of the 200 and 400hz boosted just a tad. It really makes the amp sing. You also might want to check out the Danelectro fish n chips eq. I have heard nothing but great things about them and they are only thirty or forty bucks new. I agree that the XXX cab should cut through really well although I haven't had a problem cutting through with any cab so far.

• Members

you might want to see if anyone in your area is at least an authorized dealer in your area that would be willing to order one in for you. Really after trying the G-flex I couldn't imagine owning a different cab, it is the single best piece of equipment I own and I have a lot of nice stuff biggrin.gif

• Members

Jay, I listened to your stuff and I really like it. You are definitely right about the recording because I think with a good recording you guys would be pretty smokin. The guitar sound is nice and thick and your riffs are pretty killer as well. About the only thing I would change would be the singers delivery on some of the vox but in general good stuff. Like I said my bands website is supposedly supposed to be up any day now so I can post some clips. My singer is effin' terrible though so you will have to get past that.

• Members

W00t! Thanks for the kind words Sordid1! biggrin.gif Yea, wish he could do melodic stuff, we're still working on that... I would love to help him out there with background vocals but I am too busy doing the "5-finger tap dance" to do so in the songs. frown.gif I wanna get another guitarist in with me too that can keep up with me rhymically but it's hard to find good help around here. There's lots of guitarists around here, but not many "good" ones unfortunately.

I will definately check out your band when the site is up! biggrin.gif Thanks again for checking out the band and good luck with yours dewd! cool.gif

• Members
Originally posted by M-III
W00t! Thanks for the kind words Sordid1! biggrin.gif Yea, wish he could do melodic stuff, we're still working on that... I would love to help him out there with background vocals but I am too busy doing the "5-finger tap dance" to do so in the songs. frown.gif I wanna get another guitarist in with me too that can keep up with me rhymically but it's hard to find good help around here. There's lots of guitarists around here, but not many "good" ones unfortunately.

I will definately check out your band when the site is up! biggrin.gif Thanks again for checking out the band and good luck with yours dewd! cool.gif
Des Moines actually has a decent amount of good metal guitarist but finding ones that aren't conceded pricks is hard to do. Too bad you don't live closer or we could hookup since we have fairly similar styles going on and obviously we both have exquisite taste in gear smile.gif

• Members
Originally posted by UVguy
Anyone use an effects processor to switch channels on the XXX? I'm interested in this amp but would like 1 button patch changes. G Major?
In order for it to work you would first have to buy one of these:

cable.JPG

From www.fjamods.com

Get one of those, damn near any processor, and a midi pedal and you're set.

• Members

Hey everyone whats up? Saw this post and glad 2 see all of you tearing it up with your XXX's! I gotta agree with you guys there is so much you can do with this amp. I'm still tweaking it to find the right sound that i'm looking for. So far my amp is all stock, would like to change out the 6L6's and put in some EL34's. Now my question to you guys, any of you have some killer DEATH METAL SETTINGS that i could try? So far all the settings i have used make my amp sound bright to mid range. I'm using the the crunch channel and my dampening switch is set to LOOSE. OH yeah I use the ISP Decimator, it kicks major ass, takes out all the useless feedback that my amp used to have. Thanks!

m/ (>.

• Members

With the master at 5 and the channel volume at 6 on the crunch channel, my amp is DEAD silent. It's nuts.

However, I'm having major problems with my amp right now. I don't know what happened, but it just sounds very harsh to my ears right now. It's pissing me off. I'm gonna go do some preamp tube swapping and see if I can come up with something good.

• Members

I have the G3 DVD which Im sure many of you have as well. On this DVD Satriani is playing through three Triple XXX heads. It sounds like they stock. To me the sound was good but a little bright and brittle at times IMO. As the concert progressed it seemed I found myself liking his tone more and more. I went to Sam ash and plugged into a Triple XXX and I immediately loved it! Also they were having a salke as always and the head was going for like $875 + tax!
Now thats a good head for the buck!

my eqp:
BOgner Uberschall
Bogner Ubercab
Marshall 2203x
Marshall 1960a
71 LP Custom
03 PRS SInglecut BIrds "chirp"
TC GForce
Seinheiser wireless EW 172 #
Furman Regulator
Boss OD1 mod a man
TS9 a man mod
Morley volume-BH 2 wah- ABY pedals

• Members
With the master at 5 and the channel volume at 6 on the crunch channel, my amp is DEAD silent. It's nuts.

However, I'm having major problems with my amp right now. I don't know what happened, but it just sounds very harsh to my ears right now. It's pissing me off. I'm gonna go do some preamp tube swapping and see if I can come up with something good.
That is odd because mine stays pretty consistent. If you want I am looking to get rid of my 12dw7 because it just doesn't do it for me. Let me know if you want to trade for a 12at7 which I think will do better in my PI slot for me with the 12at7 in V1 as well. Do you have a power conditioner? I used to have changes in my tone from day to day until I got one of those.

• Members

Hey man. Nah I don't have a power conditioner. I pulled the 12DW7 out of V2 to screw around and it seemed to make things worse. But I did switch out one of my Chinese pre-amp tubes for another high-gain JJ and it helped a bit. I think I'm gonna put the 12DW7 back in and then experiment with the 12AT7 in V1 to see what I can come up with.

How did the 12AT7 affect the tone of your amp?

And my drummer came over yesterday and said the tone is all in my head. He said it still sounds unreal, so if must just be me.confused.gif

• Members
Hey man. Nah I don't have a power conditioner. I pulled the 12DW7 out of V2 to screw around and it seemed to make things worse. But I did switch out one of my Chinese pre-amp tubes for another high-gain JJ and it helped a bit. I think I'm gonna put the 12DW7 back in and then experiment with the 12AT7 in V1 to see what I can come up with.

How did the 12AT7 affect the tone of your amp?

And my drummer came over yesterday and said the tone is all in my head. He said it still sounds unreal, so if must just be me.confused.gif

The 12at7 is perfect in the v1 to me. It lowered the gain just enough so it cleans up really nicely with the guitar's volume control and I can now dial in some nice crunchy blues tones or some jcm 800 type crunch sounds on the crunch channel. It also seems to make the clean channel a little nicer as well. I have the 12dw7 in the PI slot now and I like it but I can't help but think another 12at7 would be better in there. I am probably going to find out here soon. I really didn't like the 12dw7 at all to be honest in v1, v2, or v3. It did cut the gain down but it seemed to change the overall tone of the amp to something I really didn't care for, it seemed to make the low end kind of dull to my ears. BTW, I think your drummer is probably right, I have had days when I thought my tone sucked and the rest of the band couldn't tell a difference.

• Members

BTW, I think your drummer is probably right, I have had days when I thought my tone sucked and the rest of the band couldn't tell a difference.

I think he's probably right too. Because I talk so much about amps and {censored}, and show him clips non stop he's beginning to understand what good tone is and he gets all excited to introduce me to a new band that he thinks has great tone. And he's usually right. Well I mentioned yesterday about possibly ditching the XXX for something else.....I thought he was gonna drill me in the face lol. It's probably just me.

• Members

I think he's probably right too. Because I talk so much about amps and {censored}, and show him clips non stop he's beginning to understand what good tone is and he gets all excited to introduce me to a new band that he thinks has great tone. And he's usually right. Well I mentioned yesterday about possibly ditching the XXX for something else.....I thought he was gonna drill me in the face lol. It's probably just me.
I sometimes drive myself crazy tweaking my tone and thinking it just doesn't sound right. Lately I have just been concentrating on practicing and improving my playing more than messing with tone and guess what, my tone is getting better because my playing is. My very first guitar teacher was a monster on the guitar and could play circles around most anyone I knew or know now. He said he really didn't care what guitar or amp he played through because after a while the differences were small to him. I hope to be to that level at some point here.

Archived