Peavey XXX lounge enter here

Sordid1

• Members
Originally posted by mtbiac
so what do you all think about the XXX Super 40 1x12 combo? basically a 40w version of an XXX head in a 1x12 cab and they merged 2 of the channels together so now there are 2 total (not a big deal for me at all). I'm coming from a 15w tube amp, but wanted something more high gain, and this seems perfect. I like to play mostly classic rock and metal, and i hear this can do both pretty damn well. Led zep, iron maiden, ac/dc, van halen, satriani, GNR, velvet revolver is mostly what I play.

think the XXX super 40 combo fits the bill?

btw - how much louder is 40 tube watts compared to 15 tube watts?

thanks
I have a XXX 40 and recently had 2 (the other being the EFX). These amps can be great for bedroom levels or get {censored}ING LOUD!!!!!! The amp is pretty versatile but you may have to tweak the EQ a bit to get the exact sounds. Its pretty high gain and can do quite a bit. This being my first tube amp i was pretty thrilled with it. Pickups actually sound different and not all pretty much the same as it seemed with the modeling amps I've owned.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love my XXX head......was wondering what kinda cabs you guys are pushing........im running a 5150 straight.......not bad, but im sure there are better cabs out there.....what cabs are some of you guys that are playing heavy/brutal type stuff using???

• Members
Originally posted by OldSkin
I love my XXX head......was wondering what kinda cabs you guys are pushing........im running a 5150 straight.......not bad, but im sure there are better cabs out there.....what cabs are some of you guys that are playing heavy/brutal type stuff using???

I use a 5150 slant cab and it sounds really good to me, although, I haven't tried it with many others.

• Members

I finally got my 12dw7 in yesterday and did some messing around. I first tried the v2 like everyone else and liked it but to me it lowered the gain a little too much although the inbetween sounds were great. I tried it in v3 next and that was better since the crunch channel was still pretty much the same but the ultra channel was now lower gain. Last I tried the V1 and that is where it is staying. With it in V1 it seems to make the clean a touch sweeter and lowers the gain just enough on the other two channels where I can now get those inbetween sounds without sacrificing my lead sounds. It definitely is more open now and has less gain but just not quite as drastic of a change as with it in the v2. So I think I am officially 100% happy with this amp at this point.

• Members
Originally posted by OldSkin
the G-flex is the best match I have used with it. The Marshall 1960's sound good as well as do the Mesa recto cabs. The 5150 cabs are actually a pretty good match too.

• Members

Killswitch, let me know what you think. I know you like it the way it is so it might be TOO much gain for you this way. Be careful in there, I broke one of my tubes in the process being a little impatient. mad.gif

• Members

At the recommendation of Doug Preston, DougsTubes, I just bought a set of Ruby EL34's, a JJ-ECC803S for V1, a JJ-ECC83S High Gain for V2, I have ECC83S in V3 and a Matched one in V4. I had put the JJ E34L's in and thought that they were a little boomy. I have the bias set @ 36mA, the JJ's were set @ 38mA from JerryP. The JJ 803 is more Open sounding than the regular ECC83s. I tried a full compliment of JJ's and the sound was muddy. I swapped the V1 socket with an Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 and that made is a little to trebly for my taste but helped the clarity of the gain channels. I spoke with Doug about this to some extent and he recommended for the sound he thought I was describing to switch to the long plate JJ for V-1, and going with a high gain for V-2. This didn't sound like the best direction to me but I gave it a try. I really like it so far but only have about an hour on the Power tubes and a couple on the preamp tubes. I changed them out separately to hear the differences as I was doing them.

I also need to mention I have FJAMods clarity mod, a Mercury Magnetics OT and choke and I've had the Crunch gain slightly lowered in the circuit. I can back of the gain to between .5 and 1 and gave a pushed Blackface sound that cleans up nicely by rolling the guitar's volume back.

I am playing through a Carvin Cabinet with Celestions and Carvin British speakers in it. (*I think I'm going to try the Carvin Vin30 clones next).

I have run pedals in front of the amp and really like the versatility but perfer the straight sound. I have a DS-1, TS-9 and an SD-1 that have all been modified. I works very well if you use one of these through the loop as a boost after the effects processor.

I use a Rocktron Intellifex through the loop with a Ground Control and an Ernie Ball Volume pedal set up as an expression pedal to modulate effect level, mixer level, delay times, etc. I have a Boss DD-6 I use for tap tempo stuff.

I also have a Modded Crybaby and TC Electronics Chorus that I put out front for certain songs and sounds.

I cannot think of anything the XXX cannot do short of the 5150 6L6 all out Gain Snarl. But I'm working on that too. I might just have to break down and buy another amp. Naw, fugetaboutit.

• Members

just sent out the money for my XXX 1x12 combo biggrin.gif

can't wait to play this thing!!!

any tips for a first time XXX combo user? The XXX head and combo are pretty similar I hear. The head has a bit more bass since it's usually run through closed back, larger cabs, but other than this are there any other huge differences besides the combo only having 2ch vs 3?? This is mainly a bedroom/practice amp, but i can't wait to crank it wink.gif

• Members
Originally posted by Omichron
Will I still be allowed in this lounge after I get one of these?

02_12_sb.JPG
I have submitted your request to the board of advisors and they are deciding right now. From an inside source it looks as though you may be allowed to stay since you seem like a good guy.

• Members
Originally posted by mtbiac
just sent out the money for my XXX 1x12 combo biggrin.gif

can't wait to play this thing!!!

any tips for a first time XXX combo user? The XXX head and combo are pretty similar I hear. The head has a bit more bass since it's usually run through closed back, larger cabs, but other than this are there any other huge differences besides the combo only having 2ch vs 3?? This is mainly a bedroom/practice amp, but i can't wait to crank it wink.gif
I've got that same amp, killer. For a nice dirty sound, try lowering the master volume and crank the clean volume, it breaks up in a more bluesy way. For the most part though, I crank the master volume and work with each channel's volume separately. I also use the loose setting on back.

A $30 Fish-n-Chips eq REALLY set it over the top for me tough! Best $30 spent so far!

• Members

I used my Fish and Chips with my 40 EFX but haven't used it on the other 40. The 6L6's just sound damn good stock i guess....eek.gif Odd that they weren't that awesome on the EFX though. The high gain 12ax7 JJ's i put in didn't hurt biggrin.gif

• Members
Originally posted by batotman
I used my Fish and Chips with my 40 EFX but haven't used it on the other 40. The 6L6's just sound damn good stock i guess....eek.gif Odd that they weren't that awesome on the EFX though. The high gain 12ax7 JJ's i put in didn't hurt biggrin.gif
The XXX's definately love JJ preamp tubes.

• Members

well I got my 12dw7 the other day and have been messing around with it trying to find the best slot for it. I liked it pretty well in V1 but it seemed to change the overall voicing of the amp some to accentuate the lowend a little too much and make the palm mutes a little muddy sounding. So today I took it out and put the 12at7 in V1 and I think I am finally happy. It lowers the gain just like the 12dw7 did enough to get the inbetween sounds and open up the sound some but it doesn't change the overall voicing of the amp. I put the ecc83s back in the PI slot and it seems to sound good like this. I also tried the 12dw7 in the PI slot just for kicks and it actually seems to sound good there but not much different than the ecc83s, just a little darker and a little more open sounding. I am curious as if there are any saftey reasons with the amp to not have an unbalanced tube there. Anyway I think I have finally found my combination that makes me happy with the amp.

• Members
Originally posted by Omichron
There are no safety reasons for the balanced tube in the PI slot. It just supposedly makes it sound more consistent by eliminating dead spots. I personally can't tell the difference but apparently some paople can. [/Q

I know that you don't need the balanced one in there but the 12dw7 is half 12ax7 and half 12au7 so it's a little different. I am going to post a thread and hope that Jerry P is around today since he would know for sure. I haven't decided if I like it better than the 12ax7 in the PI slot or not yet but I want to try it and not worry about hurting anything.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

the G-flex is the best match I have used with it. The Marshall 1960's sound good as well as do the Mesa recto cabs. The 5150 cabs are actually a pretty good match too.

How are the actuall XXX cabs......worth a {censored} or nay???

• Members
How are the actuall XXX cabs......worth a {censored} or nay???
I played a JSX through a XXX 4x12, 5150 4x12 and a Marshall 4x12 w/75's the other day and I thought the XXX cab smoked all of them. Tighter, and bigger sounding. When I get the cash I'm gonna ditch my 5150 cab and get one.

Not to mention it was the cheapest cab of the bunch too.

Archived