Please make me feel better for purchasing...

• Members

Hey guys, I am feeling awful because I pulled the trigger on purchasing a Presonus Studio Live. I just bought a set of QSC HPR122s during the summer and I told my wife I was done with my gear purchases. With all the hype about digital mixers going on and all the researching I've done on the SL I started having dreams (more like NIGHTMARES) about it. Then last week my nightmares came true!!! I saw that Music123 had a 20% off sale with free shipping and because there aren't any Music123 stores in WI, no tax either. Came to $1599 shipped. I jumped all over it. The mixer is on it's way here. How do I tell my wife??? She's gonna be pissed!!! :cry:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Use the integrated Firewire to record an album of love songs just for her?

Took the words right out...

Seriously, record an all acoustic "CD" of her favourite love songs (covers or your originals). Then work up some nice cover art on the computer and dedicate the album to her - oh and sell something, sell anything, just to make it look good:)

• Members

One of my bandmates bought a $500 Rode NDK and had it shipped to my house where we record. She later found out; went out and bought $18K worth of furniture and antiques.

I always tell my wife before I buy things. Fortunately, she's great about saying yes; except perhaps about that 12th guitar.....;)

• Members

You found an awesome price on that SL! Great board...you won't want to work with your A&H and FOH rack anymore.

Got a case yet? Many (including myself) favor the OSP with 4 spaces below the mixer for your monitor EQ's and x-over: http://www.ospworldwide.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6493&idcategory=20

Also a good idea to get on the Presonus StudioLive forum.

• CMS Author

As I see it, you either made a smart purchase that you can justify to both your wife and yourself, or you {censored}ed up royally and have no excuse for doing so. Either way you need to be honest about it and face the music you've composed for yourself.

If I had a really nice mixer (GL2400) and then bought another that I really don't need, I'd feel like a jerk.

• Members

All options will be considered guys. Right now working on Alexcosta's advice but don't know how long that will last. Craigv, I do feel like a jerk. I am trying to sell everything I can to pay for the SL. Long story short I no longer have the GL2400. Back to the Mackie Onyx 1640.

• Members

IF you bought it to add to the inventory of gear, you made a huge mistake in buying without discussion. If you bought it to replace the GL and the analog gear, you made a good business decision, but still made a tactical marriage mistake. If you can explain to her that you are selling analog to go digital, and how much lighter, smaller, and easier to move the digital is, and that the investment is good because the value of analog is dropping and sale in the future would be for less $$ than now, you may be able to recover.

Moral: Never buy without discussion with your partner, unless you don't care about your marriage. My wife's favorite line is "I know where you sleep and I CAN kill you" rings loudly whenever my credit card gets itchy.

• Members

As I see it, you either made a smart purchase that you can justify to both your wife and yourself, or you {censored}ed up royally and have no excuse for doing so. Either way you need to be honest about it and face the music you've composed for yourself.

I agree... somewhat.

If the equipment was purchased with community property funds, then that capitalization of the new equipment should have been mutually agreed upon with your partner.

If the equipment was purchased with your own money, then what you do with your money is your business, and what she does with her money is her business... and there's nothing to explain one way or the other.

If you don't have a business plan, and she's a silent nuptial tie investor... I'll suggest now would be a good time for the two of you to develop a business plan, together.

• Members

Axisplayer, very true. Honesty is key in every marriage. Eventhough I know that, logic just goes out the window when I saw that Music123 had a 20% discount. In addition, I have been wanting to go digital for the last six months.

During the summer I had a trade deal that fell through. My Mackie 1640 plus $400 for a GL2400-24. I had the GL2400 for about two months. The guy changed his mind and wanted to sell outright instead. I thought about it and figured it would be better to go digital than to spend $1400 on the GL2400 and drop another $500-$600 on an ACP88 and however much more for other processing that I may need. Long story short, I gave the GL2400 back to the guy and got my Onyx 1640 back. Only thing that screwed me over was when I got the GL2400 (briefly) I went out and bought 4 HPR122s. I begged my wife for that purchase. She finally gave in. Now another big purchase like that would tick her off pretty bad.

Regardless I will have to come clean on this one.

• Members

She's gonna be pissed!!!
:cry:

I sold my motor bike a few months ago, the guy came to pick it up and we "talked shop" for a bit, and bikes ect. The last thing I as him as he was about to leave (bike strapped to the back of the truck), "so told your wife yet", his responce "of course not."

Few days later we where talking again, he just needed soem info form me, and I asked him if he told his wife yet. "not yet..." .

I just think it is funny. Buying "stuff " is a waste of money - but getting highlites in your hair is a sound investment.

• Members

LOL!!! I just have to laugh. Why do we even have wives anyway? I love my wife but I seriously think that she is a roadblock when it comes to my music career. I would be a rockstar by now if it wasn't for her. SARCASM about the rockstar and roadblock part.

I just feel awful when my gas takes over :poke:. I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. WAIT A MINUTE, that sounds familiar!!!

Archived