Please make me feel better for purchasing...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One thing that my wife and I agreed on many years ago is that we should each have separate "mad money" accounts with a predetermined automatic deposit amount that goes into each. My wife uses hers to travel and go on shopping trips with her girlfriends. I use mine for gear.

Part of the deal is that we don't comment on how each of us spends the money. My wife needs reminding of this from time to time. The only predictable part of this is that I don't bug her about her spending, but she still feels compelled to offer an opinion about mine from time to time.

It's been working well for us. No more arguments.

• Members

One thing that my wife and I agreed on many years ago is that we should each have separate "mad money" accounts with a predetermined automatic deposit amount that goes into each. My wife uses hers to travel and go on shopping trips with her girlfriends. I use mine for gear.

Part of the deal is that we don't comment on how each of us spends the money. My wife needs reminding of this from time to time. The only predictable part of this is that I don't bug her about her spending, but she still feels compelled to offer an opinion about mine from time to time.

We do a similar thing. My wife enjoys shoes and girly foo foo stuff. Her shoe closet inventory rivals my PA in acquisition cost..not to mention, clothes, jewelry, hair stuff and the weekly fingernail hookup. Now we also have a deal that all these "non essential" items are purchased out of our individual discretionary spending accounts and we don't rack up debt to finance this stuff. We still poke innocent fun at each other but both of us are responsible and manage our money well.

• Members
You also will no longer need the dbx 231 or the 266xl.

I won't even need the 231 for monitor duty? I thought the 31 band eq firmware update was only on the main outs. Regardless, that's a couple hundred dollars at most. Still quite a mountain to climb. :confused:

• Members

Very smart! I will definitely have to propose that to her. I gotta find the right time though as I don't want it to sound suspicious.

• CMS Author

I agree... somewhat.

If the equipment was purchased with community property funds, then that capitalization of the new equipment should have been mutually agreed upon with your partner.

If the equipment was purchased with your own money, then what you do with your money is your business, and what she does with her money is her business... and there's nothing to explain one way or the other.

If you don't have a business plan, and she's a silent nuptial tie investor... I'll suggest now would be a good time for the two of you to develop a business plan, together.

Please always remember and don't ever forget: If you're married ALL funds are community property.

I have a theory that this was and is the major impetus behind incorporation.....

• Members
I won't even need the 231 for monitor duty? I thought the 31 band eq firmware update was only on the main outs. Regardless, that's a couple hundred dollars at most. Still quite a mountain to climb.
:confused:

I was thinking that the Driverack would handle monitor duty but maybe not the PX.

• Members

Please always remember and don't ever forget: If you're married
ALL
funds are community property.

That's the way we do it too.

But how I buy my gear is I do multiple things that bring in money (not just my day job).

When I get extra money, it goes into a savings account. I split it with my wife. She goes on trips to visit her family, is also saving up for a jeep, and other things. I get music and motorcycle gear. Even with this method, we still discuss our purchases before we make them.

• Members

Hmmm, math can be your friend,

$1599. for the Studio-Live
- 400. (you saved when the GL deal fell thru)
- 150. (if you sell the dbx 266)
- 600. (that you may get for the Mackie)
-------
$449. in the hole, that's not so bad. Buy her an equivalent Christmas present, and you're golden. :)

• Members

You could tell her that you'll make the money back this summer when you cross-rent your HPRs to me??? Of course it has nothing to do with the mixer, but still...

Seriously, PM me if you're anywhere near the Green Bay/Fox Valley area. I have the same speakers and will likely have need to double them up on occasion this summer.

• Members

You could tell her that you'll make the money back this summer when you cross-rent your HPRs to me??? Of course it has nothing to do with the mixer, but still...

Seriously, PM me if you're anywhere near the Green Bay/Fox Valley area. I have the same speakers and will likely have need to double them up on occasion this summer.

I'm less than 100 miles from you. You have PM.

• Members

I believe my better 1/2 has a pretty good grasp of this angle, since her first question to that explanation is:

"So: What else do we need to buy to make that happen?":facepalm:

Archived