Mustang Sally - catchy number to gets the women dancing, or bane of your existence?

EightString

• Members

I used to hate that song, having played it in cover bands so often.

Then I decided to approach it from a fresh perspective, and REALLY stank up the vocals like that kid from The Commitments, only boozier/bluesier.

Now it's kind of fun again because instead of singing it like the boring old bar-band song I THOUGHT it was, I sing it like I'm really pissed at that Sally for jacking me around like that. :mad:

No one expects that sort of nasty, raspy blues voice to come out of a middle-aged white guy, and if I lull them into a false sense of security with a couple of Sinatra tunes beforehand, the reaction when I start singing is often gasps of surprise, followed by, "Wow!" :lol:

So, I guess through a deliberate mental shift on my part, I've learned to like the song again. :thu:

• Members

No one expects that sort of nasty, raspy blues voice to come out of a middle-aged white guy, and if I lull them into a false sense of security with a couple of Sinatra tunes beforehand, the reaction when I start singing is often gasps of surprise, followed by, "Wow!"
:lol:

Xactly the same when I go from Folsom Prison blues to Highway to Hell in original keys. This often ends up in being accused for playback, but when I ask them to point out the CD/mp3 player, they can't find it.... :)

Yup, there are many challenges to keep the music interesting.

• Members

Xactly the same when I go from Folsom Prison blues to Highway to Hell in original keys. This often ends up in being accused for playback, but when I ask them to point out the CD/mp3 player, they can't find it....
:)

Yup, there are many challenges to keep the music interesting.

I think my most extreme transition live has been going right from Misty (Nat King Cole style) into Metallica's "Creeping Death". :lol:

The looks on people's faces... :D

Of course that only works with certain audiences. :o

• Members

In 30 years of playing live, mostly rock cover tunes, I have never once played it. Ever.

It's not that I hate it (though it is badly overdone), I just don't consider it a good option for a solo or even a duo. Too much going on in the song. No bass, drums, horns, backup singers, ripping lead fills, etc.

That said, I'll be playing it this Sunday evening with the new band. :o

• Moderators

in a solo/duo? I doubt I would do it, unless as a request written on a $100 bill...we do this as a request with the band, and I took the tempo up a bit, and put a little more 'funk' under it...still, the song has been over done, like Brown-eyed Girl, Hey Joe, The Joker, HOTRS, Suzy Q, Wild Thing, Louie Louie, etc. I have a list that was originally the 'ten songs I refused to play ever again' [unless paid specifically to play it], these are all on the revised top 50 list ;)

Wilson Pickett did so many great songs, why is this the most memorable? Give me the Land of a Thousand Dances anytime...

[video=youtube;Kk4Uwge4DzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk4Uwge4DzQ

• Moderators

Brown Sugar? ...hmm, never burned out on that...Wild Horses, yes, that made the list...Proud Mary is actually #1 on the list, btw...I love Creedence, but 'PM' and Suzy Q (#29 IIRC)...enough...:rolleyes:

and that list differs from the list of 'Songs I Categorically Refuse to Play EVER'..."Yummy Yummy Yummy" is #1 on that list...a guy's gotta have some scruples, yes? ;)

• Members

I do Proud Mary. I mean, I play the song. People like that one. I found I got a better reaction once I sped it up a bit. I think that one's kinda fun. I never did any of these songs until this year, so I'm still having fun with them. AS far as "Yummy Yummy Yummy," I give that song my vote for worst song ever written. I would never play that unless there were big dollars involved. Which will never happen. I also won't do Free Bird. And it seems like every other gig there's some joker who shouts out "Free Bird." My line to that is "Be careful, I might actually PLAY it," which always gets a few laughs. Hotel California is another one - I don't do that song. I also don't do Sweet Home Alabama, but only because I can't sing it - it's just out of my comfortable range.

• Members

Can we add Margaritaville to this list? Cute, clever song with a nice tune but, at least around here, the mark of an unambitious "imagination has completely failed us" cover band. Most of the songs named here are pretty decent songs, just badly overdone and overdone badly. I mean, Mustang Sally is just a nice funky blues. Easy to play, easy to dance to, absolutely non-challenging if you don't care about digging in and doing it well. A few ("Hotel C" "Free Bird" SHA) are overlong pretentious twaddle and probably should never be played again by anyone ever.

• Members

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to Mustang Sally, though I'm not sure I'd be able to pull it off. A big part of what makes it work is the groove. It's more of a band's song. Seems like it would be tough to pull off solo--though I suppose that's all the better reason to try, if you can do it. I'm sure some people can.

• Members

In 30 years of playing live, mostly rock cover tunes, I have never once played it. Ever.

It's not that I hate it (though it is badly overdone), I just don't consider it a good option for a solo or even a duo. Too much going on in the song. No bass, drums, horns, backup singers, ripping lead fills, etc.

That said, I'll be playing it this Sunday evening with the new band.
:o

For sure its a better song with a band. we do it. just like we do other old stuff. we have older crowds in the winter. we have been adding some 60s rock. This week it was the wind crys mary , last time by the stones. its the garage rock set stuff. I dont cringe on songs...after you have played the unicore song with a bunch of little kids up on stage at a gig all doing the the animal moves nothing phases you. I got a chance to sit in and practice with a big horn band a couple years ago ,, doing stang with those guys was fun. Stang is what you make it. do it good and it always works. love it hate it ,,, stang will always be there.

• Members

Can we add Margaritaville to this list? Cute, clever song with a nice tune but, at least around here, the mark of an unambitious "imagination has completely failed us" cover band. Most of the songs named here are pretty decent songs, just badly overdone and overdone badly. I mean, Mustang Sally is just a nice funky blues. Easy to play, easy to dance to, absolutely non-challenging if you don't care about digging in and doing it well. A few ("Hotel C" "Free Bird" SHA) are overlong pretentious twaddle and probably should never be played again by anyone ever.

We do M ville every gig. we play it well. Its boring. The lead player and i are going to start swappin every other fill just for the hell of it. Steel drums and guitar. That way we wont be wankin all over each other. get bored ,, arrange what you are bored with.

• Members

Do it every gig with good results. It's a song that
demands
an aggressive approach.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I think I learned to hate the song because not only did I get tired of seeing bar bands playing it half-assed (think Ralph Maccio in Crossroads, where Willie Brown asks him, "Where'd you learn them {censored} chords?"), but I started adopting that half-assed "let's just get through this turd" attitude myself.

I only started liking it again when I started singing it like Joe Cocker on a bender. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Mustang Sally - catchy number to gets the women dancing, or bane of your existence?

Can't it be both?!?

"Songs We Hate To Play" seems to be a very personal thing. I worked with a guy who would play Gimme 3 Steps but NOT Sweet Home Alabama! Like, Tush is okay but not Sharp Dressed Man. The line is a touchy thing. Personally there are lots of songs that I hate playing MUCH worse than MS, like the entire Lynyrd Skynyrd songbook, and probably MOST Southern Rock.

• Members

i guess i'm a whore... i saw a pianist in an irish pub style bar in san antonio.. little place on the river walk called durty nelly's... a man got up and asked him to play free bird and proceeded to drop a hundred dollar bill in the tip jar... dude did his best and pleased the customer... five minutes later the same guy gets up drops in a fifty and asks for country roads... i slugged down the rest of my guinness and decided at that point i too, am a music whore... you drop a c-note in the tip jar, i'm on it... i'll make it up and try my best... when i'm in public i'm performing for the customers... if i can, i'll play what you want to hear... i'll leave the art to my studio time... ;)

• Members

i have a whole list of songs that i'd rather not play, but it comes down to supply and demand. if someone demands a song, i'll supply it.

old time rock n roll, turn the page, proud mary, mony mony, margaritaville, swinging, boot scootin boogie, mustang sally, sharp dressed man, achy breaky, feelings, misty, crazy, sweet caroline, celebration, shake your bootie,kansas city, johnny be goode, rocky top, country roads........

i could go on and on.......

but i do all these songs if requested. they arent on my set lists, but if i have a request for one of those songs, i usually get a nice tip when i do them. so i'll keep doing them if they stay in demand

• Members

I'm not playing out much these days but my own solution would be to include the offending song in a 'set' of three. So, for example, if someone wants Mustang Sally, I'd roll it into a set of three Wilson Pickett songs, say "Midnight Hour" "834-5789" "Mustang Sally." That wouldn't help, of course, if I dislike an entire songbook; then I look innocent and say I don't know it.

• Members
i have a whole list of songs that i'd rather not play, but it comes down to supply and demand. if someone demands a song, i'll supply it.

old time rock n roll, turn the page, proud mary, mony mony, margaritaville, swinging, boot scootin boogie, mustang sally, sharp dressed man, achy breaky, feelings, misty, crazy, sweet caroline, celebration, shake your bootie,kansas city, johnny be goode, rocky top, country roads........

---Now THAT is a medley!

• Members

I'm not playing out much these days but my own solution would be to include the offending song in a 'set' of three. So, for example, if someone wants Mustang Sally, I'd roll it into a set of three Wilson Pickett songs, say "Midnight Hour" "834-5789" "Mustang Sally." That wouldn't help, of course, if I dislike an entire songbook; then I look innocent and say I don't know it.

Good idea, but I've actually seen people pack the dance floor on a medley that starts with Mustang Sally then goes into another song WITH THE EXACT SAME BEAT they flee the dance floor. Seriously!

Archived