Mustang Sally - catchy number to gets the women dancing, or bane of your existence?

EightString

• Members

I will not play it unless I get a request for it.

Probably told this story elsewhere, but I've played a couple of places that will not let the artists play Mustang Sally. If you do, you don't get asked back. It's a great feeling to say "sorry, the management won't let us play that song".

• Members

And of course there is the one song to reign supreme over all songs done poorly, wrong and way too often- Old Time Rock and Roll. I hate that song. At one point, ten or so years ago, the durmmer and I got so bored with that song that we morphed it into something akin to Tower of Power covering OTR&R. We were ending a set with it and pretty much jamming it together, oblivious to the crowd and having a great time. Great groove, in the pocket and funky as hell! We look up at the end of the song and the dance floor is deserted. Not even crickets! We took a break, came back and played OTR&R again, this time as recorded, no embelishments. Freakin' dance floor packed. Sometimes I play for me, sometimes I play for the money. It sure is awfully nice when the two coincide.

Added: I forgot I was posting in the single/duo forums. I also perform in this configuration(s) and have simular experiences. I find it even harder to break out of the box when trying to keep it familiar to the listeners on some level.

• Members

I haven't started playing out yet, but when I do, if I get a request and I know it, I will play it. People come out to hear me. If they like something I do, I will play it, no matter if I have played it only twice, or two thousand times.

Of course I will come back from break periodically and state "I got a lot of requests while on break, but I am going to keep playing anyway". ;)

Archived