Science determines the most iconic song of all time

Phil O'Keefe

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...2i9?li=AAa0dzB

I came across this rather interesting article and thought I'd share it and get everyone's take on it. Apparently they took "best songs" lists from places like NME and Rolling Stone and ran them through analytical software to compare their key, BPM, chord variety, lyrical content, timbral variety, and sonic variance.

The result of their study? Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana took top honors. John Lennon’s “Imagine” was second, and U2’s “One,” Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” filled out the rest of top five.

What do you think? Can something like this really be determined scientifically? What about the individual listener's emotional response? Do you think the songs they came up with make sense, and if not, why not?

• Members

But...people do like variations and unexpected twists and turns. Think Led Zeppelin going from heavy metal to acoustic guitars in the space of a few measures. And frankly, listen to Taylor Swift's songwriting. It doesn't follow a formula, which I think is a big reason for her success.

• Members
Never liked Nirvana. They got it wrong.

They actually grated on my nerves while they were a band and the long worship period after Cobain took early retirement.

It's just been in the last few years that I actually started hearing the merit in their music. Obviously coming from a deep well of personal pain. But I've grown to actually like a lot of their material. "Heart shaped box" is my personal favorite. Really good tone....Nicely constructed. They had talent, I was just too old to hear it at the time. I'm younger than that now.

• Members
What happens when "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro is run through the software? Blue screen?

Worse than that. The computer automatically disconnects the power supply as a means of self-preservation.

As for rap if the computer is running Windows 10, Cortana interprets it as dictation so you end up getting a printout.

• Members

I don't think a computer can do that at all. At least not in the near future.

Too many variables in people's personal tastes and sophistication.

As mentioned, predictability vs. surprises.

It's like playing with a cat using a toy at the end of a string. If you let the cat catch it too easily, it gets bored. If you never let it catch the toy, it gives up - bored again. But different cats have different levels of that.

Same with people.

Some people can listen to a one-chord song with a simple repetitive melody and never get bored. Others need a symphony to keep their interest.

I would say the most iconic song of all time would be the first movement of Beethoven's fifth symphony.

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived