The Absolute Most Annoying Thing You've Heard On A Recording

the stranger

• Members

Originally posted by E-money

Mariah Carey, when she hits that super high note.

While I'm not really a Mariah Carey fan, I coudn't disagree more with you on this one. I think she sounds amazing when she hits those notes that are about an octave above what normal human being sopranos can do.

• Members

There was one r&b singer's album I got -- can't remember it, not memorable at all -- where for whatever reason the decision was made to simulate "scratchy record sound" throughout the _entire_ album. Didn't sound realistic, didn't add to the sound, it was like someone had graffiti'd the sound. Horrible.

• Members

Pretty much any country music recorded after 1980, with the exception of Dwight Yoakam.

The current state of the "art" is as embarrassingly homogenized, hackneyed and dumbed-down as late-60s -early 70s bubblebum pop (i.e. The Archies, Partridge Family, Bobby Sherman, etc.).

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Botch

I can't stand little children's choruses. I wish Christmas was over for that very reason.

Yeah... lately I've been listening to the O Brother soundtrack. The first time through I was charmed by the children's chorus on the one song... very effective. So effective, I never need to hear it again. :D

• Members

Anything by Whitney Houston. There is something about her voice that gets to me like fingernails down a blackboard. Oh, she's well able to sing and all that sort of thing - I just can't stand the sound of her voice. A friend of mine who ran a music shop years ago had to leave the room if anyone played a violin. He'd have to get his wife to come out and serve them.

• Members

Originally posted by blackpig

Anything by Whitney Houston. There is something about her voice that gets to me like fingernails down a blackboard. Oh, she's well able to sing and all that sort of thing - I just can't stand the sound of her voice. A friend of mine who ran a music shop years ago had to leave the room if anyone played a violin. He'd have to get his wife to come out and serve them.

There's not a contemporary oversinger, er, I mean diva, I can stand... Maria, Celine, Christine, Whitney... yonk.

I suppose, to some folks, they're the "quality singers" who stand in opposition to your Britney's and Ashlees... and you can see, even sympathize, with the sentiment.

But I STILL can't stand the way they sing.

What's sad is when some of the classic singers of earlier decades get tempted into showing off their chops in the same fashion. I mean... I thought some of them kinda oversang, back then... ;)

But, anyhow, I am SO much more moved by ONE heartfelt phrase than ALL the faux coloratura bravura crap...

• Members

Any rock record where there is some stupid idiot going "whacka whacka" in he background on a turntable.

Incubus is a great example of that. How may decent songs have they jumped the shark with their "turntable guy" jerking off in the background? All of them.

• Members

Originally posted by gtrbass

Any rock record where there is some stupid idiot going "whacka whacka" in he background on a turntable.

Incubus is a great example of that. How may decent songs have they jumped the shark with their "turntable guy" jerking off in the background? All of them.

+1 :thu: :thu:

• Members

Gutoral vocals in new metal make me laugh my ass off. I was watching a metal program on VH1 and there was a chick doin it! Sounded just rediculous.

Vocal pitch fixing... I dig the band Rascal Flats. They are good musicians and great singers but I heard a song and I could hear that funky perfect harmony goin on. I don't get it, they are great singers!! :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by axe2 2001

Gutoral vocals in new metal make me laugh my ass off. I was watching a metal program on VH1 and there was a chick doin it! Sounded just rediculous.

Here's a couple more bands like that, with female vocalists, just to irritate you (I like them both):

http://www.2minutehate.net/

http://www.{censored}thefacts.com/

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this: Auto-Tune.

• Members

In the last 10 years, in R&B and dance, there has been that tendency to have amelodic, loud soundfx going on in the background, such as sirens, scratch and hyperbass stuff. These FX are as loud in the mix as the vocals and any other element of the ensemble! Bad taste, methinks.

Take the recent "Milk Shake" song..

This technique, to me, ruins what could have been a nifty-sounding pop record. (But, granted, I am so damned old-fashioned in my inner models of what comprises a perfect pop record... my notions are positively Brill-esque...).

Yes, and pitch-fix and the addition of multiple , synthetic (digital shifted) harmonies in Country Music. It seems to me that these producer's toys were meant to be delicate "secrets" for gently smoothing the sound of a record; only now, in Country especially, they are openly, liberally and flagrantly applied, giving the whole record a COLD, synthetic feeling. And country music-- more than any other genre-- is supposed to sound WARM and sincere. Now, it's anything but.

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

There's not a contemporary oversinger, er, I mean
diva
, I can stand... Maria, Celine, Christine, Whitney... yonk.

I suppose, to some folks, they're the "quality singers" who stand in opposition to your Britney's and Ashlees... and you can see, even sympathize, with the sentiment.

What's sad is when some of the classic singers of earlier decades get tempted into showing off their chops in the same fashion. I mean... I thought some of them kinda oversang, back then...
;)

But, anyhow, I am SO much more moved by ONE heartfelt phrase than ALL the faux coloratura bravura crap...

I don't think its the singers - it's the songs. The material is written to be overwrought, produced to the last nth of excluding spontaneity, and packaged in the most banal, predictable way possible.

Now that she's done with Bobby Brown, can someone PLEASE put Whitney in a room with Rick Rubin?

• Members

Originally posted by blue2blue

There's not a contemporary oversinger, er, I mean
diva
, I can stand... Maria, Celine, Christine, Whitney... yonk.

What's sad is when some of the classic singers of earlier decades get tempted into showing off their chops in the same fashion. I mean... I thought some of them kinda oversang, back then...
;)

Correct-i-mundo. Since about 1985 or so, there's been a whole spate of black and white kids who believe "More is more." I agree with Carlos Santana, who has singled out Dionne Warwick as someone who has always known how to embellish. Embellishment is truly an art in itself. For one thing, I've always considered it a great virtue-- and a tribute to the songwriter-- to sing the melody straight once through, before launching off into ripples, wails and faux-orgasmic shrieks of self-indulgent, insincere riffing. Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald knew that, and that's why their old "songbook" anthologies are such a joy to listen to today... They'd sing the song straight once... then come back and add their TASTEFUL deviations from the original melody... Shows great humility, a nice trait for an artist to have. And the scatting they did was based upon sound bebop harmonic principles... I'm not sure many of the post-STAR SEARCH/AMERICAN IDOL kiddos know jazz harmony well enough to make intelligent scat choices. And worse, they mostly don't care to LEARN it... the lure of shaking glittery tits 'n' ass on TV is just too strong.

Nowadays? When there often was not much real melody to begin with? Geez, count me out.

And another painful truth: If you didn't grow up in a Black church, or haven't spent a number of years attending one, you shall be hard-pressed to sound as though you had, in the pop arena... Some things are learnt young...

And lastly, as you point out: there is simply no substitute-- none-- for a truly emotional delivery.

• Moderators

This is more engineering:

I hate when the drummer's a hat basher so the enginner / mixer gates the snare and eq's it bright as he can. Then everytime the snare hits you hear a wash of hat that more resembles accidentilly calling a fax number.

Boom

Whssshhhh

Boom -boom

Whssshhh

Archived