Would you work at Guitar Center?

Videodrone

I did a similar work in Mexico, for a Yamaha dealer -back in the VL-1 synth and ProMix digital mixer days- and I loved it. I was actually respected as a savvy guy and as a musician. I was able to promote my music, my business making sequences on any synth, my project studio and my work as a sound guy... got lots of customers. That was about 15 years ago, not too bad for a 20 years old guy.

Being 35 now and with a 9 years old son, perhaps the money won't be enough if sales go slow in a certain month.

So, leaving my current work for working at GC is a big "NO, thanks".

However, I guess I'd actually enjoy working for a GC store if that was one of few employment choices I had. Why not? You have the chance to play with the newest stuff, some discounts, benefits, make contacts -which is the real deal in this business- and stay close to music -which I guess it should be a plus for all of us-.

• Members

On the subject of noise, I was actually at one of my local GCs last night. It's usually metal riffs played poorly. Last night was strummed chords with Bigsby tremolo. Of course it was played beautifully.

I have to say that, as reviled as it is, I have a few people I work with at this Guitar Center that give me great service, are knowledgeable of the gear, and give me good prices, too. I used to live across the alley from a smaller trendy used/vintage music gear shop and even though I was only walking 100 feet to get to their store it was still not worth the trip. These guys were snobs.

The upside was that they didn't have many people cranking up the amps. Maybe that was because they didn't have much business.

• Members

Working at GC center would be wierd. It always seems like the guys that were wanna be musicians worked there and other music stores for that matter. 90% of the time they are not good musicians is what I have found.

+10000

I think that a lot of the guys(especially in the keys department) are mainly "bedroom" musicians, computer and s/w geeks who probably have never gigged in their lifetime.

• Members

At the GC closest to me I think the people in the keyboard department work there just long enough to open all the sample and software packages that are not copy protected. Once they copy everything they can then they leave to let the next person make his copies and try to push opened merchandise.

• Members

If I were a kid, maybe. I always wanted to work in a music store when I was a kid. I used to work at McDonalds doing maintenance (which I still think is the best job you can get there -low stress, variety of responsibilities, when you get sick of people you go outside and pickup the lot or go rotate the freezer. ), and every pay check I did 3 things:

1. Cash the check.

2. Fill the tank.

3. Hit the music store and buy something new for my drumset.

If I'd worked at GC I think the check would've been spent before it got cashed, and the tank would be on E most of the time.

Never let an addict work at the liqueur store. :D

Believe it or not, I've been offered jobs there a few times. :):o

No, I wouldn't want to work there. It's not the commission / pay schedule - if you're a good salesperson and willing to work hard (and not just poo-poo the system and whine about it), and if you actually DO have a clue (and believe it or not, some of the folks working at GC do have good product knowledge), you can make a decent living. Rather, it's the hours - everyone I know who has worked, or does work for GC in the stores has said their life pretty much revolves around their job. They're often there six days a week and 10 hours a day... which makes it less than ideal IMO if you're doing it to supplement your band / recording income, because you're not going to have the time to continue to pursue those other activities. So for me, it would be a time issue and would have nothing to do with buying into the whole "GC is evil" myth. I don't think it's a bad company, or a bad job or anything to be ashamed of - it is just not in line with what I want to do. :)

• Members

I have often considered working at GC, but it would have to be a second (night/weekend) job, and even then might present a problem since I'm on call for my "real" job. Our drummer has worked there for around two years now, and the demands on his schedule are what I would consider unreasonable, even before taking into account the typical pay. What is especially strange to me is that his particular store often has three people working in the drum department alone, competing against one another for sales. Two at the guitar accessories desk, two at the software desk, and so on. A year ago, there were two GCs in the Twin Cities. Now there are four. Absurd.

In my cas, I think that my honesty would be my undoing. I probably would find it difficult to sell the "in" brands when others are better and often less money. There is really no shortage of quality gear at GC - there are some real gems in the used section in partiocular - but the mass-produced, trendy crap tends to get the big push in ads and from the sales staff.

• Members

You gotta be a sales-type. If you've been in retail any length of time, you know what I mean. I think GC has so much turnover, they don't keep many of the true salesmen/saleswomen.

A true sales-type can work just about anywhere there are shelves with technological stuff and a mostly ignorant public wandering in.

I'm not a sales-type, so no, I wouldn't work at GC even 'tho I'm sure I know more about at least the MIDI/keyboard/digital/recording stuff than 9 out of 10of their staff.

Frankly, the real salesmen types get on my nerves, the way they size you up and work on you. They pride themselves on pegging you and knowing what you will probably go for. The real pros can do this pretty durn well, sad but true.

For example of a GC salesguy without the knack: I took my HS-age daughter there to shop a starter acoustic guitar for her. We found some good choices (on our own without help). When the sales guy finally showed up, all he did was waste out time and insult our intelligence. He probably thought he had a couple of easy newbies...Dad and daughter, first guitar...sitting ducks!

It was when I asked about a case, and he went into the back and came out with one that was about 6 inches too long and a couple inches too wide - the guitar would just bounce around in there, obviously. "Didn't come with this guitar, we're outta those," he said, "but oughta work just fine! maybe just stick some padding in there - I'll give it to you for $75" he said.

I didn't know whether to laugh or kick him or both. As a civilized alternative, we just left.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Frankly, the real salesmen types get on my nerves, the way they size you up and work on you. They pride themselves on pegging you and knowing what you will probably go for.
The real pros can do this pretty durn well, sad but true

And, with their rap and techniques, make you feel like a real music stud after they've just sold you thousands of dollars worth of stuff... :cool::D

• Members

I know a guy that works here at GC that takes used gear in at a pretty low price,then makes sure people complain about it not working when they demo it on the floor,oops,mark it 40% off and add my discount to that and get a dual rec for 500 bucks,then turn around and sell it for double.The guy has more gear and extra cash than anyone I know!I guess it has it's perks.

• Members

No way. It would be like working at Best Buy with live sound. I wonder if the management (in an attempt to increase sales) wants you to persuade beginners to buy a Taylor or Martin? Bad Karma! God will give you arthritis. I would rather work at McDonalds. They pay more.

Archived