X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the worst job you've ever had?

Once you get a few years away from that really horrible, horrible job, it's good to recall either for laughs or for encouragement how you survived.

A lot of people I know had particularly outrageously bad jobs as teenagers or young adults. For a long time I thought hot tar roofing in Texas must have been one of the worst jobs, until one of my friends told his story - his job, all day long, all summer long in deep, dead, raging hot West Texas, was sandblasting certain huge metal containers used in the oil fields, FROM THE INSIDE.

I did a bunch of construction work -roofing, painting, siding, etc. during high school and college summers - one factory job, one apartment complex handyman/gardner/fixit guy, all each one had some sort of misery or other.

But for sheer intolerable boredom, one job stands alone. Testing these frisbee-shaped transmitters (this was about 1979) that could be tossed into utility trenches at intervals, to tell people above ground where to dig or not, depending. Pick up one frisbee, hold it over the sensor. If it beeps, toss it into this box - no beep, toss it in this other box.

Any questions?

15 minutes only for lunch, sorry, but we're on a deadline. Might be able to get you some overtime, too, but sorry, same minimum wage as regular hours. See ya.

Time slowed down to near zero after about 20 minutes.

nat whilk ii

Easy answer.

In college, I took any job that would fit in between my ridiculous school schedule. So, at various times, I sold furniture, did labor work for the city, managed a Sunglass Hut in a mall, did data entry for a medical billing service, and was an IT admin for a library district.

But the absolute WORST job was for a few months in 1991 or so, when I did cold-call telemarketing for a construction company. Yep... I sat there all day with a list of numbers, calling people who absolutely did NOT want to hear from some jerk trying to set up appointments for texture-coating their houses. Not only did I hate every moment of it, but the office was dingy and gross, the people I worked with were even dingier and grosser, and ever since then, I've been a lot sympathetic toward telemarketers who get through to my own home.

It was terrible. It ills me just to think about it. Gah!
    Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

I'd voluntarily quit my gig as moderately successful live and recording performer at the age of 30. I went to Chicago to study acoustics and audio. I graduate and land some small gigs working audio for video, etc. in Chicago, but longed to return home to California. Mistake?

I move back home to zero work.
      Now my girlfriend's pregnant.
      Now I'm... hosed.

I've exhausted everything. All old connections. Everybody is struggling. I answer an ad for "Plumber's Apprentice". Do you know what that means. I didn't. Plumber's Apprentice is a nice way of saying, "Toilet Clearer".

I needed a job. Bad.

I lasted 3 weeks. The last night, I was a good 60 miles from home somewhere in the desert in an old man's double wide, surprisingly stylish mobile home. My rooter work backfires and I am up **************** creek. White carpeting. Overflowing. I tried.

I looked at the guy and told him I was sorry. I was quiting and would call it in to the company. But I was no longer an employee of the company he called. As of 1 minute ago.

The next week I got my current job working in telephony audio and have been enjoying it for the past 11 years or so.

Thank God!!!!

Comment

For physical discomfort: baling hay in the Texas August inferno. All day long. Swinging 100lb bales of hay---- rife with stickerburrs---- onto a flatbed trailer. 103deg F weather.

For the dishonesty I was expected to evince: The Nordic Trak store at the swank San Francisco Center hired muscley boys only. We were expected to tell customers that we had ammassed our big muscles by skating along on a Nordic Trak. Flimsy floor exercisers of debatable efficacy... that started at $399 and went up to $1k. And that we had developed six-pack abs from bouncing seated on a big red plastic air-filled beach ball thingee... We were supposed to chirp, "Five minutes per day is your complete workout!!" Nordic Trak gave us printed-out scripts which we were supposed to memorize and repeat verbatim, whether "live" or over the telephone.

They also had VHS tapes of women doing group aerobics, playing on a big projection TV screen in the middle of the store. Each video was only 15 minutes long, and featured cheezy 70's disco selections, performed NOT by the original artistes, but by those grievous surrogates. That video would play-rewind-and-repeat ALL......DAY.........LONG.

Sometimes I would get a middle-aged customer who seriously had a weight problem.... And I was expected to snow her, boldfacedly, with untruths. Eventually I just left, disgusted with myself and with the Nordic Trak company.
        Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

Every job.

It'd be nice if I could never work. Although I'd get bored FAST.
          Design http://www.jade-raven.com
          Music http://www.bryssis.com
          Biking http://wakethetread.blogspot.com
          Facebook (let me know who you are from HC!)

"I have a man that I go to speak to and he's very wise and very old. And tells me, he says to me very quietly,
          "So David, are you finished suffering?" and I say "I'm not sure, what do you think?" and he says "you only
          suffer as long as you want to"." -Dave Gahan

Comment

Every job.

So, there's not a single redeeming factor to ANY job you've ever had? I refuse to believe that. You never made any friends at work? Never enjoyed any task you did, or never took any pride at any work success at all?
            Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

Hands down being an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse). For everything that it entailed and the fact that I was working nights and weekends cuz those were the only hours I could get. The fact that I was taking home $1100 a week didn't even begin to make up for it...I only lasted 3 years, since then I've taken much lower paying jobs with no benefits just to keep from killing myself (I'm not kidding, while I was working as an LPN I litterally got to the point that I went out and bought the cheapest shotgun with the shortest barrel I could find along with 5 shells of .00 buckshot only because I couldn't buy just one shell.)
              Originally Posted by co&cafan808

chevybusa ****************in delivers the lulz!!!

Using and abusing Reason 4.0 (with tons of ReFills) and Logic 9 (with tons of soft synths, VSTi's and plug-ins)
              via
              a Yamaha S80 (with 2 FC7's, an FC5, an FC3, and a BC3a) and a Behringer BCR2000
              on
              a 4GB 2.53GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini
              with
              AKG K77 headphones or M-Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors.

Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer

Ahhh...John Cage. The ultimate troll.

Originally Posted by Anderton

Just remember...machines don't kill music, people do.

Comment

Making gun barrels for M16s during the Vietnam war. Business was booming. I worked the graveyard shift, with plenty of overtime.

You put the new piece in the lathe, closed the doors and started the machine, which sprayed copious amounts of cutting oil as the piece was ground. It was piece work, so you didn't wait until the oil had settled down; as soon as the piece was done, you yanked open the doors. I left every morning covered with oil from the overspray.

But the pay was great for an 18-year-old kid in 1969.

Comment

Physically I've had some very stressful jobs but I've learned I prefer physical stress over psychological.

With that in mind, my present job is the worst I've ever had. The company I work for is a nest of dishonest, amoral snakes and it degrades me every day I continue to work there.

Terry D.
                  Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Had a job sitting at a desk answering the phone, the door, taking mail, sorting it, getting people lunch... just shoot me.

Comment

Back in the late seventies, I was a dispatcher (i.e., someone who delivers parts to various departments) for Sikorsky Aircraft. The main factory was about as close to hell as I could imagine. There were gigantic, bubbling, fuming, hydrochloric acid vats that they used for dipping the copter blades, heat treat areas with temps of over 120 degrees (no AC, of course). There was noise like you wouldn't believe from machines cutting metal and the metal particles flying all over the place. Then there were the many sad sack, trailer trash types I had the displeasure of interacting with.
                      I lasted there about 6 months, wised up and decided to go to college instead. I once told my younger brother to avoid factory work at all costs, unless you're starving and have no alternative. I'm glad he took my advice.

Comment

My first job at 16 was working at a military mess hall on an Air Force base... mopping floors, washing huge pots and pans, and dishes piled up to the ceiling. It never ended. We were never done... it just kept coming since the mess hall was open all day and military personnel just kept filing in. Sometimes it was slower than other times, but no real breaks. It was the stuff of nightmares.

To this day I wouldn't work in food service of any kind if it were the last job on earth.

I'd wear a loincloth, hunt my food with a spear and live in a grass hut.
                        "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
                        ~John Lennon

Comment

So, there's not a single redeeming factor to ANY job you've ever had? I refuse to believe that. You never made any friends at work? Never enjoyed any task you did, or never took any pride at any work success at all?

No work friends stayed around after any of us left a job.

2003 Walmart cashier
                          - no tasks enjoyed
                          - no successes to speak of

2006 Menards cashier
                          - no tasks enjoyed

2008 wire harness factory
                          - though I was able to use my skills of attention to detail, and didn't really have complaints... it's nothing I enjoyed

2009 door to door canvassing to set appointments
                          - no tasks enjoyed
                          - success ratio is very small, it's a given of this kind of job

Now what I have been doing for 8 years and am pursuing for a career, graphic design - I love it. But it's not my day to day job, I am not qualified to be hired on yet.
                          Design http://www.jade-raven.com
                          Music http://www.bryssis.com
                          Biking http://wakethetread.blogspot.com
                          Facebook (let me know who you are from HC!)

"I have a man that I go to speak to and he's very wise and very old. And tells me, he says to me very quietly,
                          "So David, are you finished suffering?" and I say "I'm not sure, what do you think?" and he says "you only
                          suffer as long as you want to"." -Dave Gahan

Comment

Telemarketer, hands down. Cold Calling people selling upgrades to a mac database called Double Helix. The highlight of this job was that one of the people I called was gal named Marisa Ong, who worked for Spectrum Holobyte, maker of my fave flight sim at the time, F-16 Falcon. I talked to her for 20 minutes about games, hung up, and quit that afternoon. And, the dude that owned the place was actually really cool, but the work was mind numbing.

2nd place was a job as a security guard. I took it after my step father ragged on me for not having a job ( for 10 days, while I generally had 2), and was hired, told to show up and I would be patrolling an 1/8 mile road, back and forth, for 16 hours at minimum wage. I got home, put the uniform on, put the hat on, took that off, called them and said 'no thanks'.
                            Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

Valero cashier. I think I took a few years off my life, and that was only working 25 hours a week. It's not that the job was difficult or unexpectedly strenuous.. It's that they gave you no breaks and no lunch.

How can you ethically employ people and not give them some respite during a full 8-hour+ day? How does that work? Does Satan do your bookkeeping or something?
                              The new blog: http://synonymmusic.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Walters9515
                              yes he is SIG:

[...]where is where but where could where be because where is he to where ,where

I know u have a full blow studio where and haven't ever heard what a envelope follower is or have never used one in your life beside with a Quack which u are quacking like a rubber ducky in a tub

Comment

Working...
                              X