X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Repetitious Song Ever

Is there a more repetitious song than Springsteen's "Born In The USA?" Post your nominees below.

Best,

Geoff
    Enthusiasm powers the world.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't &quot;get it&quot;. - THX1138</div>

Comment

<div class="signaturecontainer">Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't &quot;get it&quot;. - THX1138</div>

Comment

Comment

Comment

This one combines excessive repetition with stupid lyrics, a really stiff "white man's overbite" type of feel, and the over reaching, oh so soulful team of Grace and Marty. God... I really hate this tune. But I just love the way it keeps on going... and going... and going...
            ___

Comment

learjeff.net

Comment

I win.

nat whilk ii

Comment

<div class="signaturecontainer"> <br />
                  <font color="blue"><b><font color="olive"><font color="sienna"><font color="purple">Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. </font> </font></font><font color="olive">Wayne Thiebaud</font></b></font><br />
                  <br />
                  <br />
                  <b><font color="#808000"><font color="blue"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/#!/rasputin1963/info" target="_blank">Friend me on FACEBOOK!</a> </font></font></b><br />
                  <font color="#808000"> <br />
                  <br />
                  </font></div>

Comment

Best,

Geoff

I was a pretty big Springsteen fan until the BTR album. As America 'discovered' the guy I'd been listening to since right after the release of his first album (Welcome to Asbury Park), I discovered that he had learned how to successfully dumb his once interesting if sometimes overly wordy/poetic songs down into a slick, repetitive format apparently well designed to stick in the head of drug and alcohol addled Middle America types. At first, I was exhilarated by the brazen pop sensibilities -- but after a few listens to key songs on the radio, I knew I wasn't going to be buying the album. Unfortunately, two different sets of friends gave me the record that Christmas or on my birthday. I gave one away and saved one for no particular reason. I haven't listened to it since then.)

That said, as utterly annoying as I find that song -- and I most certainly do -- there are songs I find even more annoying.

Say, "Baker Street." Damn, I hate everything about that thing. That horrible, half-borrowed, repeated-to-death sax figure, glued on like a Cadillac ornament on a VW, the seemingly interminable verses. Another song I liked when I first heard it -- at least for a verse or two -- but soon hated.

Or "Spinning Wheel." I hadn't heard BS&T on purpose since the 60s, even though I have that second, breakthrough album which I bought right after it came out and loved enough to listen to twice, once the next day, and then barely really put it on again as it was by then in heavy rotation and by three listens I was over it. That said, I put "Wheel" and their cover of "God Bless the Child" on a couple days ago and, I have to say, it's a very professional effort. Al Kooper may have left the band already (and their first album, which he was heavily involved with was not much like any of their subsequent efforts) but the craft and musicianship on the album is really stunning. But I don't want or need to hear it.

That said, having spent much of the 90s listening to electronica, when loop construction caught on at the end of the 90s, it 'elevated' repetition to new 'heights.' I've heard stuff on the once-trendy college station in Santa Monica that was -- literally -- a couple of loops from the old Mixman software repeating without change for minutes at a time. (The former evening DJ and now music director there was apparently a fan of club music but appeared to have an amazing tolerance for seemingly endless repetition and tennis-shoe-in-dryer rhythm mashes.)

Such lowest common denominator club music drives me nuts. But, I'm told, with the right drugs, you can't even hear it.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisCRxREDkY

Comment

I win.

nat whilk ii

I must have been stoned because I remember this going on for about an hour.

Comment

Springsteen's first album was Greetings From Asbury park. IMHO, it was loose and sloppy. I much preferred the next two albums, and don't find the material at all repetitive or dumbed down. I'd pretty much lost interest in his new work by BITUSA, though.

If you don't like carefully arranged and tightly performed music, then BTR wouldn't be your cup of tea. I had a chance to see that tour at a great venue for $2 and passed it up, and I still regret it. All my friends who went said it was the best show they'd ever seen, and the crowd included some very serious show-goers with eclectic tastes.
                          learjeff.net

Comment

That said, as utterly annoying as I find that song -- and I most certainly do -- there are songs I find even more annoying.

Say, "Baker Street." Damn, I hate everything about that thing. That horrible, half-borrowed, repeated-to-death sax figure, glued on like a Cadillac ornament on a VW, the seemingly interminable verses. Another song I liked when I first heard it -- at least for a verse or two -- but soon hated.

Or "Spinning Wheel." .

Wow! And I think those two singles are both genius. The chord progressions on both of these songs is ingenious, I think! Trying playing these songs with their precise original chords.... But it IS true that the AM radio stations ground these records into the ground when they were new.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"> <br />
                            <font color="blue"><b><font color="olive"><font color="sienna"><font color="purple">Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. </font> </font></font><font color="olive">Wayne Thiebaud</font></b></font><br />
                            <br />
                            <br />
                            <b><font color="#808000"><font color="blue"><a href="http://www.facebook.com/#!/rasputin1963/info" target="_blank">Friend me on FACEBOOK!</a> </font></font></b><br />
                            <font color="#808000"> <br />
                            <br />
                            </font></div>

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisCRxREDkY

Good call. You get extra points for getting a whole stack of annoying quatities into a single song. [Spoiler text in white, below.]

But few take it so far as to plunge all the way through the annoying pop song dimension into the genius that true madness represents. One such song is "The Night Chicago Died."

[COLOR="white"]It was Herman's Hermits doing "I'm Henry the VIIIth, I Am."

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

Working...
                              X