Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which albums have a deep emotional effect on you?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which albums have a deep emotional effect on you?

I suspect none of you fine gentlemen and ladies will have heard of Adrian Snell, but several of his albums move me deeply

I was listening to The Cry today as I was driving around at work, and I had to continually compose myself before I went in to see my various customers

Are there any albums which affect you guys in a similar way?
    new album - smoke
    forum - the asylum

The Beatles..........Abbey Road. Absolutley haunting.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

An album that affects my emotions more than any other is A Perfect Circle's first album, Mer De Noms. I'm not sure why. Something about the keyboard-like guitar parts, the atmospheric basslines, the brilliant percussion and the chilling vocals of Maynard James Keenan. The dynamics are incredible. I like TOOL a lot, but I REALLY love APC's first album. It's a masterpiece in my mind.
      (This is my Non-Signature.)

Comment

John Coltrane - Crescent

Comment

"The Best of Kenny G" makes me suicidal.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Ed A.
            View Post

"The Best of Kenny G" makes me suicidal.

Must say I've never listened to "The Best of Kenny G" but I can imagine it having that kind of effect.

As for the OP, well actually lots of albums have a deep emotional effect on me. Depending on the mood I'm in I can be a sucker for almost anything with a semblance of real emotion in it. Abbey Road for sure but less obvious albums like Portishead's "Dummy" or Bjork's "Post" to name but two.
            http://www.surrealisticpenguin.com

Comment

It's always funny when these kinds of threads pop up; they inevitably reveal the age demographic of the person giving their reply
              Elson TrinidadSinger, Songwriter, Keyboardist, BassistElson and the Soul BarkadaWeb: www.elsongs.comMySpace: www.myspace.com/elsongsFacebook: Facebook PageTwitter: twitter.com/elsongs

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by elsongs
                View Post

It's always funny when these kinds of threads pop up; they inevitably reveal the age demographic of the person giving their reply

You think so? What's my demographic then?

.. oh, and the person who mentioned John Coltrane could be just about any age at all.
                http://www.surrealisticpenguin.com

Comment

Joni Mitchell's Hejira. Love that album musically and lyrically.
                  Something...

Comment

Richard Shindell's album 'Somewhere Near Paterson'. The writing and imagery are superb in songs like 'Wisteria' & 'Transit'.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

• Kitchens of Distinction -- The Death of Cool

• Nico -- The Marble Index

• Dave Greenslade -- The Pentateuch of the Cosmogeny

Martyn Wheeler (playing synthesizers/organ like it's 1973 in England)

now: Fredfin Wallaby
                      was: The Gonzo Symphonic

Comment

The first 5 Metallica albums, the Megadeth's PS...BWB?, RIP, and Countdown to Extintion and Youthanasia, Pantera's CFH, VDOP, FBD, and TGSTK, Slayer's Seasons In The Abyss and Divine Intervention and RIB, and Sepultura's Chaos AD....The Black Ablum came out whenI was in 5th grade and Kirk's solo in Enter Sandman made me pick up guitar, and I've gotta say that I've probably spent more time listening to all the albums listed than any otheres, they all had SUCH a profound impact onme back in the day...even though I lisntedto a loty of other metal bands, it was those ablums that I would just listen to the cassettes of over and over and over and over....in my lateteens I started getting into other forms of music, AND switched to keys, and I'd defnitley have to metnion the first 3 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums, I can't even tell you what an impact they've had on me...
                        Originally Posted by co&cafan808

chevybusa ****************in delivers the lulz!!!

Using and abusing Reason 4.0 (with tons of ReFills) and Logic 9 (with tons of soft synths, VSTi's and plug-ins)
                        via
                        a Yamaha S80 (with 2 FC7's, an FC5, an FC3, and a BC3a) and a Behringer BCR2000
                        on
                        a 4GB 2.53GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini
                        with
                        AKG K77 headphones or M-Audio BX5a Deluxe monitors.

Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer

Ahhh...John Cage. The ultimate troll.

Originally Posted by Anderton

Just remember...machines don't kill music, people do.

Comment

Tom Waits - Beautiful Maladies. It was the first Waits record I bought after first hearing his music on the Dead Man Walking Soundtrack. I was going through a huge transition in my life when I discovered Beautiful Maladies. And I can't listen to it without being taken back to that time every time. So it's hard to listen to even though I love Tom Waits.

Comment

R.E.M. Murmur and U2 The Unforgettable Fire. Am I showing my age? When they came out, they sounded like nothing else I was familiar with. Each can be very emotional.

Comment

Working...
                            X