Which albums have a deep emotional effect on you?

Mark L

• Members

I suspect that for most people any emotional attachment to a certain album stems from the memories it evokes. At least for me it does. That being said:

Led Zeppelin: 1st album
Dave Mason: Let It Flow
Yes: Relayer
Pink Floyd: Meddle

All bring out memories of different times in my life.

• Members

In The Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson I clearly remember the first time I heard it; I was at a party and heard it playing. I went on a mission to find out what it was and buy it.

Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix as a 15 year old guitar player, changed me forever.

Rubber Soul - The Beatles invokes strong memories of that summer at the Jersey shore.

Ummagumma - Pink Floyd ultimate in strangeness, still one of my favorite Floyd albums.

Emerson Lake and Palmer - ELP first album.

All from my teenage years, but I think that's when I was the most impacted by music; not that I wasn't after that, but that time period sticks out the most.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
In The Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson I clearly remember the first time I heard it; I was at a party and heard it playing. I went on a mission to find out what it was and buy it.
A really special album and a really cool cover.

Ummagumma - Pink Floyd ultimate in strangeness, still one of my favorite Floyd albums.
Grandchester Meadows is the one of their most brilliant and under rated moments.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lsits View Post
I suspect that for most people any emotional attachment to a certain album stems from the memories it evokes. At least for me it does. That being said:

Yes: Relayer

All bring out memories of different times in my life.
I was a Yes fanatic. I really worshiped that band. When I heard Relayer for the first time it was live. I remember hearing To Be Over and being blown away. I didn't quite get the most of Gates of Delirium but I remember being moved to tears when the did Soon.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vintagevibes View Post
I was a Yes fanatic. I really worshiped that band. When I heard Relayer for the first time it was live. I remember hearing To Be Over and being blown away. I didn't quite get the most of Gates of Delirium but I remember being moved to tears when the did Soon.
"Gates of Delirium" is somewhat controversial among Yes fans. It's consistently rated as one of their best songs but I know several huge Yes fans that just don't get it.

I think it's the best thing they ever did and one of my favorite pieces of music.

• Members

O.K.....this really got me to thinking.

I submitted a list of influences for a musicology research thesis a friend was doing and he asked for influences broken up into 5 life sections: Elementary school, Jr. high and High School, college to mid 20's, mid 20's to late 30's, and late 30's to present, and I was stunned and amazed by the huge range of music that had a huge impact on me.

But when you say ALBUM and DEEP EMOTIONAL IMPACT.....it's just not stuff that was a big influence on me....of stuff I loved....or an album with 4 songs that changed my life, but the rest were meh....were talking about a full, start to finish album of deep emotional impact.....all the way through.

Some are cliche, some not. And I can't pick just one. So there.

Rush - 2112. It's the late 70's, I'm in high school and just getting started playing guitar, and along comes an album about how playing guitar reflects the essence of humanity. And the story is a tragedy.....during the Sililoquy when Ged sings "Just think of what my life might be....In a world like I have seen! I don't think I can carry on....Carry on this cold and empty life." and the solo that follows? Shew.....that was the most emotion my 15 year old suburban soul could handle! I was hooked.

The Dixie Dregs - Free Fall and What If. I was given 3 free promo records by a family friend who worked at a radio station they were throwing out. One was country music by an Indian reservation band. The other was a folk record with a girl with a goat voice. The other was Free Fall. I put on side 2 with Cruise Control, and began to clean my teenage room. I stopped. I listened to that record 3 times in a row and was so completely moved and blown away by every song. This was the music I had been wanting to hear....the music in my 16 yr old head....this was MY music....every song was totally effective....this was EXACTLY how I wanted to play the guitar. Went out the next day and bought What If and was even MORE stunned! This record was really recorded well and I LOVED every tune. I listened to those two discs INCESSANTLY for years. And for the next 10 or so years, I was a total Morse/Dregs head. Groundwork laid. In fact, in my late 20's I began to transcribe their tunes; no tabs or books. Just my ear and a pen. It was the first huge challenge on my instrument.

Beethoven's 5th and 9th symphonies. My late 20's I went thru a Beethoven CRANKED THRU THE BAD ASS STEREO phase. The 5th stirs everything INTENSE within me. The 9th stirs EVERYTHING within me. And I get the fact that the Ode at the end of the 9th was a a big F.U. to the powers that gave him the commission. Loved that.

Pat Metheny- Trio Live This is just 3 cats, one of em just happens to play the same instrument I do, who take each other on the most amazing journeys filled with so much emotion and empathetic playing. This record is so damn FULL of improvisational genius at the highest level. It is the definitive jazz guitar trio disc to me (Smokin at the 1/2 Note a delightful second). Close my eyes, and I'm there and I just hang the flip on. I never listen to this song or that song. I listen to the whole thing every time and it reveals something new upon each new listen.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Folder View Post
"Gates of Delirium" is somewhat controversial among Yes fans. It's consistently rated as one of their best songs but I know several huge Yes fans that just don't get it.

I think it's the best thing they ever did and one of my favorite pieces of music.
I LOVE Relayer love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr View Post
But when you say ALBUM and DEEP EMOTIONAL IMPACT.....it's just not stuff that was a big influence on me....of stuff I loved....or an album with 4 songs that changed my life, but the rest were meh....were talking about a full, start to finish album of deep emotional impact.....all the way through.
ok, using the parameters of 'full, start to finish album of deep emotional impact', I'd have to go with:

Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
&
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
&
Allman Brothers - Fillmore East

• Members

Pink Floyd -- The Final Cut
Billy Joel -- Turnstiles (actually bought this in while in England on vacation)
+1 Beatles -- Sgt Pepper
David Gray -- White Ladder
Soul Coughing -- Ruby Vroom

What demographic do I fit into? (Though I must admit I haven't found an album in the last decade that I just purely connect with at such a level).

• Members

I'll second or third 'Plastic Ono Band.' Man, that is one powerful album and just John, Ringo and Klaus Vorrmann and that's it.

Pepper, Mystery Tour and Abbey Road really stand out, but also Revolver and Rubber Soul.

In school I remember 'The Stranger,' 'Aja,' and 'Wings over America' getting just worn out.

Thinking about emotion, I really liked 'Songs from an American Movie, Vol. 1' by Everclear. Some really powerful stuff the Alex guy was going through after a divorce. 'Rumours' has a lot of emotion on it as well.

'The Wall,' 'Quadrophenia,' 'Tommy,' 'Soundtrack from A Clockwork Orange,' and even 'JC Superstar' put me in another world and really influenced my bass playing.

Archived