No announcement yet.

cleaning some ancient UFIP hats

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning some ancient UFIP hats

I have a set of vintage UFIP hi hats. They are *very* tarnished. I've left the patina on until now but wonder if cleaning them would brighten up the sound a bit.

Should I do it? And if so, how.

Thanks
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Okay then, I'll answer myself. This thread suggests that cleaning brightens up the sound. So I went ahead with cleaning.

I'm removing a half-century or more of dirt, so rather than use a boutique cymbal cleaner that I'd need to go to the city to buy, I started with the brasso in the the cellar. But I was going to have to buy about $20 of brasso to complete the job and it smells bad. So I tried this, the flour/salt/vinegar version, and it's working a treat. I've done them about three times now -- they were *very* dirty -- and they shine like the morning sun except a few spots where the surface may be pitted or may have had water droplets on it -- I don't know.

They're back on the stand now and they are sounding lovely. No more dullness. Silly me for not doing this before -- and just wishing they sounded better.

Now I'll have to learn to play them.

From here on, I may opt for a cymbal polish, but cheap and cheerful worked fine for the heavy lifting.
    Last edited by pogo97; 01-26-2018, 06:47 PM.
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Comment

Try Bar-Keepers friend.
      However, if they are 50 year old HiHats - IMHO - I would leave the patina.
      UFIP are going to be dark in nature simply because of the way they are made (older hand hammered)

If you use Bar-Keepers friend, lay an old towel in the bottom of a bathtub (to keep from scratching the bottom of the tub). Wet the cymbal in about a half inch of water. Sprinkle the BK friend and just let it do its thing. Don't use any aggressive scrubbing. Then rinse and dry - You'll be amazed how well it works.
      D
      Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

• pogo97
        pogo97 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dendy. I'll have to check out this BKF stuff. Last night I removed the vast bulk of the patina using flour, salt and vinegar and it has made a strong positive difference to the tone from frustrating/muffled to "oh my, that's nice." I'm a piano and guitar player mostly, so I don't have multiple hats or anything -- one good snare (Pearl Session Custom) optimized for brushes and the one set of hats only -- so a balanced, flexible sound is more important to me than antique appearance.

In passing, could you point me at a teaching source for playing hats? Especially with brushes.

And, what should my next kit item be, do you figure? I'm leaning toward a ride.
        Last edited by pogo97; 01-27-2018, 09:40 AM.
    Working...
    X