Disillusioned by U2's The Edge. New album sucks.

Coralkong

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This post is full of personal opinion and conjecture. If you disagree with what I'm about to rant...er...say, then good for you for finding the positive in something I couldn't.

*ahem*

When I heard "Get on Your Boots" all I could think of was that it might actually be their worst song ever. I am stunned that

a) they think it sounds good and

b) they think it is the best song on the album for a single

The rest of the album might grow on me, but nothing leaped out immediately as "Wow". The lyrics (once so brilliant) are predictable, the vocals (once raw and strong) have too much crap falsetto and strain, the drums sound canned, the guitar is too restrained...etc.

I am also disturbed by the glowing reviews I've seen. I can't find any major critics who dislike this new album. Its a bit like "The Emperor Has No Clothes."

In previous posts I have defended U2 because they are one of the bands that got me through my teens & inspired me to be a musician. I also like their social message.

But after this release, I feel like they are a band that re-invented themselves one too many times. They need to send their arthouse producers packing (Lanois/Eno) and get back to their roots.

• Members

First of all, I think it is pretty naive of the OP to have ever considered that The Edge is a great guitar player in the conventional sense. I have followed some of the history of U2 over the years, and one thing that the rest of the band consistently did was rib Edge for not being all that great. For example, during Rattle and Hum, the others constantly took the piss out of Edge because they knew he wasn't too good at lead lines and had to play with the likes of BB King. Technically, there are probably many guitarists on here who would be considered to be, by many, more proficient.

But to look at it in those terms is really to miss the point of U2's music. Go to see them live. They are all about sound, atmosphere and song writing. They use humour, and spectacle. In other ways they are largely a part of an older punk tradition that was somewhat averse to virtuoso self indulgence in music (although admittedly, Bono makes up for that in his pronouncements). But the overall effect of their music, especially in a live situation does capture a lot of people, because it is anthemic, huge in its ambitions and atmosphere creating.

Let's face it, nobody here (as far as I am aware), has the ability to regularly attract around 100k people to huge venues to listen to their songs, and those who could, would be in any case very unlikely to be spending their time posting on an electric guitar forum.

Edit: Yes, it is easy to do the Bill Bailey thing. It is a bit more difficult, I believe, to use that effectively in the context of a song, and to then sell that song to millions internationally.

• Members

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the point of the band in the first place was that none of them could play but they wanted to be a band.

then they turned whatever abilities they could develop into an international success.

Like it or hate it, that's an initial achievement you don't see very often.

Its a bit different from some guys with all the chops putting together the right combination of musicians for success.

OH and I don't include the Monkees, Spice Girls or Milli Vanilli or any other corporate-designed marketing exercise in that.

So they drop the ball sometimes......I stopped liking their stuff around about Joshua Tree.

It still doesn't take away from what they achieved and if Bono irritates you like he does me, there's always the off-switch.

• Members

Exactly. Everyone loves to be a hater.

Me? I don't care what people think about it - I like U2, and I will gladly go out and get their record. If it's not my favourite, so what? Hell, I
hope
it's Pop 2 - I loved Pop.

Everyone bitches and moans about how much the Edge sucks, but I don't see any of them out there on the world stage writing interesting parts and making cool sounds. Then again, the internet does pretty much run on whining.

Yeah. the thing I dig about this forum (and similar guitar forums) is how guitarists/artists who have sold millions of records come and point out the flaws of their peers. . .

That was sarcasm if anybody did not notice.

We get similar posts about Kirk Hammet etc etc etc.

I read U2 by U2 and it explained alot about their state of mind for many albums including POP. A great read if you can get it for cheap.

I don't think the Edge is a fantastic guitarist, but he is a great musician. And that, I rekon, is the important bit.

• Members

Have been a fan, not so much lately. Have not heard the latest, and likely won't bother, not because of what it is, but because of the blatant pimping going on. From what little commercial TV I watch, it seems they are slated to appear on every morning show and talk show on all the major networks to promote this latest work. And they are hyping it up like it's the second coming. Pass...

If you're an established band, and have to go to these lengths to sell a record, something is amiss, at least in my own personal estimation.

Steve

• Members

Now what would be cool is if U2 got an old Tascam 4-track and cut an album with that. Like Bruce did with "Nebraska". Strip it down and rock. Things like "Elevation", "All Because Of You" and "Vertigo" are going in the right direction. A lo-fi U2 album at this point would be great. As great as Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are, I think U2 have run their course with them. That's precisely why I was excited about the Rick Rubin thing. The records he made with Johnny Cash are fabulous, and I think U2 would benefit enormously from the stripped-down approach at this point. I mean, "Get On Your Boots" sounds like it's aimed at the Jonas Brothers/Miley Cyrus crowd!

agreed.

i was really anticipating them working with Rubin. War is by far my favortite album by U2 because it is so immediate and in your face. that couple with guest musicians and not two producers.

I think all of these big bands are all douche mcgees, what with their producers and everyone wiping their buttcracks while they drink starbucks and surf the internets with their mac laptop.

what ever happend to woodshed album making?

• Members

(edit)

I read U2 by U2 and it explained alot about their state of mind for many albums including POP. A great read if you can get it for cheap.

I don't think the Edge is a fantastic guitarist, but he is a great musician. And that, I rekon, is the important bit.

What I found fascinating about U2 by U2 is how they are in wonder of themselves in a "I can't believe we pulled it off" manner. I mean, they talk as if they can barely write a song! It's humbling of them to write of themselves this way despite their huge success. They could be as pompous as they want, they earned it. But I get the sense they are as gob smacked of their success as a lot of folks on this board.

What I appreciate about them is how they've stayed relevant yet not in attempt to cater to a musical market. They do what they do in a relatively modern fashion without coming across like they're trying to recapture the "glory days" like some dude with a toupee or awful hair color trying to be young.

And however you perceive Bono these days, I can't fault his bravado publicly as he actually works to make the world a better place. A picture of Bono and George Bush walking side by side is quite moving. I appreciate a person who's an advocate for their beliefs and not an antagonist against those who could be helpful in their cause. And perhaps this is why it is quoted the Bush administration provided more support to Africa than any previous administration. Very admirable of Bono to be a part of that.

As for Edge's abilities...you're spot on! It's about music, not technique! Would an author be valued simply because they knew large, obscure words? No...the application is where the value lays. It may be an aspect of their style, but not valuable in itself. Edge has an emotional delivery, sure not technically challenging, but effective and suits their music.

I haven't bought the album yet but plan to despite the negative reviews. And I would buy an album of them farting...that would be funny as hell!

• Members
First of all, I think it is pretty naive of the OP to have ever considered that The Edge is a great guitar player in the conventional sense. I have followed some of the history of U2 over the years, and one thing that the rest of the band consistently did was rib Edge for not being all that great. For example, during Rattle and Hum, the others constantly took the piss out of Edge because they knew he wasn't too good at lead lines and had to play with the likes of BB King. Technically, there are probably many guitarists on here who would be considered to be, by many, more proficient.

But to look at it in those terms is really to miss the point of U2's music. Go to see them live. They are all about sound, atmosphere and song writing. They use humour, and spectacle. In other ways they are largely a part of an older punk tradition that was somewhat averse to virtuoso self indulgence in music (although admittedly, Bono makes up for that in his pronouncements). But the overall effect of their music, especially in a live situation does capture a lot of people, because it is anthemic, huge in its ambitions and atmosphere creating.

Let's face it, nobody here (as far as I am aware), has the ability to regularly attract around 100k people to huge venues to listen to their songs, and those who could, would be in any case very unlikely to be spending their time posting on an electric guitar forum.

Edit: Yes, it is easy to do the Bill Bailey thing. It is a bit more difficult, I believe, to use that effectively in the context of a song, and to then sell that song to millions internationally.

Probably not my favourite post in this thread, but by far the most intelligent one :thu:

• Members
Yeah. the thing I dig about this forum (and similar guitar forums) is how guitarists/artists who have sold millions of records come and point out the flaws of their peers. . .

That was sarcasm if anybody did not notice.

The thing I love about democracy is the fact that people do not have to be the peers of those whom they criticize.

(No sarcasm intended.)

For me, the measure of artistry or whether I like a band has nothing to do with how many records they sell, so I can very comfortably offer criticism of someone who far outstrips my own sales volume.

I'm happy that there are so many around here who like the new album and support the band. There is room to like the band, and openly dislike their current sound (methinks).

:wave:

• Members

I actually quite like the album. No great guitar playing on it, but some good songs, and it has a kind of personality which is slightly different (albeit derivative in places of Kings of Leon, Muse, Led Zep (yes Led Zep in Stand Up...), Arctic Monkeys, and David Bowie. I am enjoying the lyrics... something which is rarely commented upon around here.

Some choice quotes from the album:

'The right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear'

'Beware of small men with big ideas'

'Choose your enemies carefully, cos they will define you. Make them interesting because in some ways they will mind you. They are not there in the beginning, but when the story ends, gonna last there longer than your friends.'

That last one is particularly perceptive, I feel, in the context of this thread and forum!

• Members

I am the OP, and must say,,,,,

the responses to this are quite intriguing.

Again, I am a U2 fan. Have been for many a year (since October, actually, the first album I heard by them.) What was that? '83?-ish?

Anyway, it reinforces my thoughts that we have such polarized opinions.

U2 sucks and always has and always will vs. U2 can do no wrong and I MUST be a douche-bag for not liking the album.

Very few in-between responses, though there are a few.

If you listen to the new album (and I have heard it in its' entirety at this point), I still think U2 mailed it in.

And I still think the new album sucks badly.

"Oh, no.....they're great, they've sold more albums than you, you're an asshole! Bono is awesome. Should be a saint, save the whales, blah, blah, blah...."

Uh, OK. But the new album still sucks in my opinion. I am just sad they put out such an effort = FAIL.

I'll tell you when I started to take a harder look at U2.

It was during the Rattle and Hum recordings during the Joshua Tree Tour. (Yes they recorded several shows, I went to this tour twice, once on the first leg in Worcester, MA, and once at Sullivan Stadium on the third leg, stood front row, center, Bono had a separated shoulder....look it up).

Anyway, Bono couldn't help himself but to tell me what was wrong with America, and how we should spend more money and help abolish Aparteid in South Africa, and how Amnesty Internation should be supported, and basically what was wrong with my country.

I found myself thinking (at the ripe old age of 18 or so),....
"Aren't they still blowing each other up in your country? And you have the audacity to sell out concerts and take our money and tell ME what is wrong with MY country? If you don't like it, go home. As a matter of fact, why not fix your OWN country's problems before telling me what I should do to fix the world."

And I kind of never got over that one. Sure I like they're later stuff. Some brilliant songs on Pop, and later stuff as well.
I feel that as a long-time fan, I am entitled to say the new album sucks.
Because IMO, it does.

RANT OVER.

Have a nice day.

And if you ever get the chance to watch the Edge trying to play some blues riffs with other musicians, pass. Because it will change your outlook on things.

Archived