I'll never buy another new guitar

Faber

• Members

I just don't see it happening. The major manufacturers like Fender, Gibson, PRS etc are priced beyond what I care to pay for an electric - it's not a question of "too expensive" or "overpriced" in any absolute sense, their price points are simply above what I feel comfortable paying. Couple that with the facts that a) no production models have exactly the features I want, so I'd have to add the price and depreciation of modding, and b) there are no shortage in the used market for the kind of instruments that I like, semis and strats. Why shouldn't i let someone else take the hit of depreciation and buy used?

• Members

I feel the same way pretty much, but with me it's more of a "I'll never again pay more than $500 for a guitar."

Usually, no more than $300.

There's absolutely no reason to, as far as I'm concerned.

Offshore cheapies have gotten to be so decent, I can buy an SX Fender-clone for around $125 (shipped), put $150-$200 into it in upgrades (none of which are even really necessary) and have an instrument easily on par with a brand new $1400 MIA Fender for about one-seventh the cost and it will have exactly the hardware and electronics I want.

• Members

I think there's too many well-maintained used instruments that makes the original statement resound with much validity.

My friend got a "used" PRS with all the tags and protective cover on it in mint condition for nearly half the retail price.

I got a "used" MIM strat with all the tags and protective cover on it in mint condition with a case for nearly 30% off the retail price.

• Members

Never say never. Five years from now, you might be a lot richer, and buying a new White Falcon just because you want one might not seem nearly as crazy.

I know what you're saying, and of course it could happen. It's not that I lack the money right now though, being single w no kids and little expenses - but take for instance the Hot rod 62 strat I tried the other day: lovely guitar, very very cool neck even if the frets were a bit small etc. This is a guitar I wouldn't mind playing. But paying the equvalent of USD 3.000?? Nope, that's just more than *I* care to pay for a strat even though I could, whether or not the price is reasonable in the bigger picture.

• Members

I think there's too many well-maintained used instruments that makes the original statement resound with much validity.

My friend got a "used" PRS with all the tags and protective cover on it in mint condition for nearly half the retail price.

I got a "used" MIM strat with all the tags and protective cover on it in mint condition with a case for nearly 30% off the retail price.

Exactly. Just after new years I bought a used Hamer Newport in less than mint but very good condition, for 1/3 of the new list price. A used instrument to be sure, but one that had been taken good care of. Am I a cheapskate for not wanting to pay three times the price just to avoid a bit of fret wear and a few minor scratches round the back?

• Members

Well, if what you want is a fairly common guitar, used is a very good way to go.

Plenty of kids buy a strat in their teens or twenties and quickly decide that playing the guitar is not for them. Ten years later, they pull it out of the back of a closet and put it on Craigslist.

Plus, there's the Mid-life Crisis Gibson Les Pauls, also usually abandoned before they are ever gigged.

But if your needs are more specific (left-hand Tele w/Bigsby tail), you can sometimes spend a LONG time shopping the used market and still come up empty.

• Members

I just don't see it happening. The major manufacturers like Fender, Gibson, PRS etc are priced beyond what I care to pay for an electric - it's not a question of "too expensive" or "overpriced" in any absolute sense, their price points are simply above what I feel comfortable paying. Couple that with the facts that a) no production models have exactly the features I want, so I'd have to add the price and depreciation of modding, and b) there are no shortage in the used market for the kind of instruments that I like, semis and strats. Why shouldn't i let someone else take the hit of depreciation and buy used?

Never did before and definitely no reason to start now. There are just too damn many case queens out there - gift to a spoiled teenager, midlife crisis buys for the Harley Davidson yuppie - that eventually end up like new on Ebay or Craigslist etc at 1/2, 1/3 or even 1/4 the price. Anyway, the 90s were the apex of guitar quality IMO, guitars just keep getting more expensive and less well made. The cheap Indo stuff doesn't really turn my head but I've pulled some American made guitars off the shelf at GC lately that weren't a whole lot better in my opinion - controls that only attenuate halfway, bridges flying off the top of their posts, and meh tone.

Always the disclaimer: Buy what you want and what makes you happy.

But I honestly don't get it on a lot of levels. I'm not a noob. Been playing for over 40 years. I've owned Fenders and Gibsons and they were fine, terrific even. I eventually traded them away. I still have an MIJ Fender strat I love. But everything else I own is in the $250 to $700 range and I generally have not paid full price. They are lovely guitars and a joy to play.

I watched a guy last night at a local M&P who had just bought an MIA Fender Standard Strat at last years price of $1030 or whatever. While he was there, he tried out a used MIM Fender strat that was selling for $325. He played it and just shook his head, saying if he had come here first, he could have saved $700. The guitar he was playing felt as good and sounded better than the guitar he had just bought.

Not saying that it happens all the time or even that cheaper guitars can stand up to the intense scrutiny that an MIA can stand up to, but I believe that a little patience and tree shaking can get you a nice instrument for much less than current new MIA prices.

• Members

I still buy new, but they're closeouts, B-stocks, or scratch 'n' dents. MAP is for the birds whatever the brand.

Example: New Yamaha SA503TVL at $1000 MAP? {censored} no! New Yamaha SA503TVL on closeout for $400? You betchya. :thu:

I just posted a deal on a new Fender Strat in the "Deals" thread. If that were something a person had already been looking at it would be a bargain.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showpost.php?p=33682017&postcount=551

• Members

I've said this too. In fact, I said it right up to the point I whipped out my debit card to buy a brand new strat about a month ago. Don't regret it, and now I'm searching for a good tele, hopefully used, but surely I don't trust myself.

• Members

I still buy new, but they're closeouts, B-stocks, or scratch 'n' dents. MAP is for the birds.

I just posted a deal on a new Fender Strat in the "Deals" thread. If that were something a person had already been looking at it would be a bargain.

Doc, thanks for that. I just checked it out, and that is a pretty good deal. Do you have to call and order to get the catalog price? I may have to do it.

• Members
Doc, thanks for that. I just checked it out, and that is a pretty good deal. Do you have to call and order to get the catalog price? I may have to do it.

Yes because there's no way to get that price to show up on the web. Too bad the newsletter registration is not 20% like it used to be. :( I'd probably grab up a couple myself and put them in a closet.

• Members
Yes because there's no way to get that price to show up on the web. Too bad the newsletter registration is not 20% like it used to be.
:(
I'd probably grab up a couple myself and put them in a closet.

I think I can manage that. Thanks again. :thu:

Archived