what song would you play?

chrisebrooks06

• Members
hello

if someone came up to you in a store, a mate at your house etc ask you to play a tune to impress them, what would you play?

i usually play wish you were here intro etc because i think most people can relate to it and its a great tune

:thu:

Why just the intro? I'd probably ask what they wanted to hear and see if I knew it or something similar. Not really in the business of playing/singing as a show-off impress me thing.

• Members

Why just the intro? I'd probably ask what they wanted to hear and see if I knew it or something similar. Not really in the business of playing/singing as a show-off impress me thing.

or the whole song doesnt worry me, its not about showing off is it?, i thought thats the whole point of learning the guitar in the first place to entertain other people?

• Members

I quite like the intro to James Gang Funk #49 - it's got a real feel good feel to it. That E and B string riff from 'Weather with you' is well recognised and is also a feel good tune. Maybe a bit of Tush.

I dunno really - there's not much that's I can play that will impress people in the way EVH doing Eruption would, but it's nice to push out something that sounds good.

• Members
or the whole song doesnt worry me, its not about showing off is it?, i thought thats the whole point of learning the guitar in the first place to entertain other people?

Umm to make music that you personally enjoy? As far as entertaining other people with it, sure. That's why I'd try to find a song that they would enjoy, not pick one that will "impress" them. I'm with Blacksteen in his assessment of that.

• Members
Umm to make music that you personally enjoy? As far as entertaining other people with it, sure. That's why I'd try to find a song that they would enjoy, not pick one that will "impress" them. I'm with Blacksteen in his assessment of that.

i agree, i see your point now i made a typo in my first post with 'IMPRESS', sorry about that

• Members
I play the most retarded thing ever, in response to the retarded question.

I play to please myself, and I wont succumb to "showing off"

whatever, i play to please myself, and i play to entertain other people too, thats why i play in a band thats why i gig, its not showing off, if someone asks me to play them something on the guitar i will and i cant see a problem with that :thu:

• Members

I'm usually playing when people come 'round for a visit. If they step in to listen, I'll just start playing my own stuff first, then put some Sabbath into the mix.
There's also a slight pressure to perform, but that just makes my playing more focused.

• Members
I play the most retarded thing ever, in response to the retarded question.

I play to please myself, and I wont succumb to "showing off"

actually i learn a lot by playing to others and it keeps me on my toes for technique and learning a great variety of songs, everyone is different if its not your thing well, thats fine :thu:

• Members
actually i learn a lot by playing to others and it keeps me on my toes for technique and learning a great variety of songs, everyone is different if its not your thing well, thats fine

I also like to play for people, I didn't mean I'm against that entirely. However being asked to play something silly just to "show off" is a different matter.

Archived