Pearl Jam 10
Depeche Mode Violator
Van Halen 1
Donald Fagen Nightfly
Bob Marley Legend
The Jayhawks Tomorrow the Green Grass
Mathew Sweet Girlfriend
The Offspring Smash

Very hard to narrow this down, but one way or another, each of these albums was a epiphany, a gateway, or pushed me in a new direction, or I played it so much that it became a part of me.

• Members

Chronological

1) Ramones - Rocket to Russia / Road to Ruin while this didn't get me into music persei, some of my fondest early childhood memories are driving around the countryside with my Dad and little brother listening to We're a happy family, surfin bird, I'm against it, etc laughing our fool heads off.

2) Michael Jackson - Thriller this album got me into music, and later I was embarassed admit that, now I look back and think that was a great album.

3) Metallica - Master of Puppets This album made me go out and form a band. It also, kind of pigeon holed me into this overly serious mentality about the types of music I would listen to.

4) Led Zeppelin Boxed Set - This help to reopen my mind toward other music again.

5) Pink Floyd - The wall Kinda similar effect to what zeppelin had on me, except it blew the doors wide open.

6) Primus - Sailing the seas of cheese. This album is what changed my mindset about the bass and led to me choosing bass as my primary instrument.

7) Fishbone - Reality of my surroundings. This album introduce me to R&B elements, which is now my one of my most listened to genres.

8) Curtis Mayfield - Superfly. I was left utterly speechless after hearing this for the first time. It remains one of my heaviest influences in my own music.

9) Bob Marley - Catch a fire. Opened the doors to reggae and later dub and early ska.

10) James Brown - Funk Power. Full out funk became ingrained into my musical identity at that point. I couldn't help but wanting to get down at every opportunity.

11) Frank Zappa - Hot Rats. This led to me going on a all things zappa frenzy, which blew away any preconceptions or genre hang ups that still remained in my mind.

13) NIN - Downward spiral. Opened the doors to electronica.

14) John Coltrane - Gold Collection. The first traditional jazz album that grabbed me, now I'm a total jazz head. But I remember laying in bed with my eyes closed and hearing Johnny blaze thru those runs, and being struck with this is where Hendrix got it.

15) Morphine - Yes. My first Morphine record and well these guys pointed ways to introduce the jazz elements I was becoming incredibly fond of into pop.

16) Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul. Wow. Simply some of the best long format soul/jazz/funk I had ever heard.

17) Miles Davis - Bitches Brew. Got me into Fusion. Which was perfect for me at the time, incorporating the varieties of music that I was listening to into one beautiful format. It showed the way to realizing anything is possible.

18) ZZTop - Tejas. My dad gave me a bunch of vinyl this was one of them. I realized upon listening that songs didn't have to be complicated to be great. Great song writing and magic tone wins the day.

19) Gilian Welch - Time(revelator). This stark and stripped down music, showed me the most powerful ingredient in music is emotion.

20) Bebel Gilberto - Bebel. Introduced me to brazillian pop and bossa nova. This style opens so many doors in pop music creation. The hip hop elements, the ballad elements, the latin rhythm elements, the beatleesque elements, and the heavy use of jazz harmony all within simple pop structures just blew me away.

Well I already went over, so I have to stop now.

• Members

After that long list I can't believe I left out two of my most powerful life altering albums.

Mothership Connection - Parliament. Introduced me to Parliament/funkadelic and there is so much to be learned if your attempting to merge Rock/funk/psycedelic in these albums. But most importantly, it shows you its ok to let your hair down and have fun with it.

What's Goin on - Reconfirmed the power of emotion in music. But additionally Jamerson's bass playing had a tremendous influence on me, I realized after this that funk/soul didn't have to have outlandlish funk licks. (envelopes and slap/pop techniques) The power of the groove reigns supreme.

• Members

Chronological

15) Morphine - Yes. My first Morphine record and well these guys pointed ways to introduce the jazz elements I was becoming incredibly fond of into pop.

This was a big album for me, too. Didn't make me list, but woulda had a good shot at making the next 20. You tend to remember when a band comes around sounding that fresh and different, and yet it's not a gimmick. It's a viable, workable concept. and Yes was the one that mattered. My old band covered All Wrong.

• Members

13. Public Enemy- fear of a black planet- I was always resistant to rap, there was not a large percentage of white kids in my school so it was pounded in my head a lot. This one got me though. Public Enemy was just like the above description of pantera...only for Rap.

14 Jane's Addiction-Ritual de lo habitual- Crazy, funky, atmospheric music. It took a couple of listens but then I was hooked.

17. Rage against the Machine- What can I say, that dude is pissed and the Cd jsut completely drips anger. I love it.

Three favorites of mine from that era, along with the Pixies' Doolittle. A lot of people prefer Jane's Nothing' Shocking but I'm a big fan of Ritual.

• Members

19. Rush - Moving Pictures

18. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon

17. Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

16. Led Zeppelin - IV

15. The Good Rats - Ratcity In Blue

14. Jethro Tull - The Minstrel In The Gallery

13. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

12. Deep Purple - Made In Japan

11. John Prine - Prime Prine

10. Yes - Relayer

9. Pink Floyd - Meddle

8. The Who - Who's Next

7. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

6. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

5. Queen - Queen II

4. Kansas - Song For America

3. Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town

2. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

1. The Who - Tommy

• Members

In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

Trilogy- ELP

Close To The Edge- Yes

Paranoid- Black Sabbath

Phaedra - Tangerine Dream

Rubycon - Tangerine Dream

X -Klaus Schulze

Another Green World - Eno

Peter Gabriel 3 - Peter Gabriel

The Dreaming - Kate Bush

Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks - Eno

A Rainbow In Curved Air - Terry Riley

Music for 18 Musicians - Steve Reich

Einstein On The Beach - Philip Glass

Gone To Earth - David Sylvian

Heaven Or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins

Goo - Sonic Youth

Emperor Tomato Ketchup - Stereolab

Kid A - Radiohead

• Members

OK, finally found one that really surprised me...are you from Long Island perchance?

I saw the Good Rats live once. What a hoot.

I'm not from New York, but I had a Navy Buddy that was from Long Island. He turned me on to them.

• Members

No order.

Police--Zenyatta Mondatta, followed by all the others.

Chicago--1 through 13.

Steely Dan--AJA.

Donald Fagen--The Nightfly.

Beatles-- Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, some of the earlier ones.

Pat Metheny Group--American Garage, then Still Life/Talking (this album completely changed me, musically); after that, most all of the others.

Dixie Dregs--Dregs Of The Earth.

Van Halen--Van Halen 1.

John Mayer--Room For Squares. An odd choice for a 45-year-old, I know, but this guy made me actually interested in music again like I used to be.

Peter Gabriel--So.

There might be more. I'll have to add them later, when I'm not watching episodes of House.

• Members

In no particular order, 'cept for the first three:

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Beatles - Abbey Road (I introduced myself to the Beatles in reverse chronological order)

Rush - Permanent Waves

the rest:

Deep Purple - Machine Head

ZZ Top - Deguello

Allan Holdsworth - I.O.U.

U.K. - Danger Money

The Dregs - Industry Standard

Yes - Close to the Edge

Nirvana - Nevermind

The Church - Starfish

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow

Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime

Husker Du - Candy Apple Gray

Van Morrison - Moondance

System of a Down - Toxicity

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland

King Crimson - Discipline

Elvis Costello - This Year's Model

• Members

Chronological

16) Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul. Wow. Simply some of the best long format soul/jazz/funk I had ever heard.

Good one. Its been a very long time since I gave it a listen.

The sonics were stellar.

This is one of the albums that really made my dad's mid-sixties above average stereo gear sound absolutely fantastic.

Thanks to Isaac,STAX/Terry Manning for that one.

• Moderators

Some really cool choices here. Marvin, Issac, Curtis. And someone mentioned how it might seem strange that all they listen to is white people's music, and that that actually do like soul music, etc.

I find myself in the same boat. But for me, for me, albums came later in my development. At the point I started thinking more conceptually. And more personally, as in, "I can do this!!!"

But soul music? Man, that stuff is deeper in me. Singles. The radio. All the neighborhood blasting their car systems tuned to the Real Don Steele show or K Earth 101!!! in LA while they either worked on their cars or washed and waxed them.

The single, at least for my age group but most likely to others as well, the single came before the stage of immersing yourself into an album.

Might it be a good idea to start a thread, The 19 singles that changed your life?

19 is a good number by the way. Don't know why though. My brain is tied up at the moment. I'll start it on Monday if someone doesn't. To the single!

• Members

Some really cool choices here. Marvin, Issac, Curtis. And someone mentioned how it might seem strange that all they listen to is white people's music, and that that actually do like soul music, etc.

I find myself in the same boat. But for me, for
me,
albums came later in my development. At the point I started thinking more conceptually. And more personally, as in, "I can do this!!!"

But soul music? Man, that stuff is deeper in me. Singles. The radio. All the neighborhood blasting their car systems tuned to the Real Don Steele show or K Earth 101!!! in LA while they either worked on their cars or washed and waxed them.

The single, at least for my age group but most likely to others as well, the single came before the stage of immersing yourself into an
album.

Might it be a good idea to start a thread, The 19 singles that changed your life?

19 is a good number by the way. Don't know why though. My brain is tied up at the moment. I'll start it on Monday if someone doesn't. To the single!

I made a list pretty readily thinking of all those records that spent the most time on my player of choice. The list was populated by the sort of record that anyone who knew me would say - "oh, yeah... I remember that period." What I realized was that those weren't necessarily the records that changed me. They were the records that I explored as I changed. For me, too, some of the changes were instant. The Byrds singles, some of The Beatles singles, some of The Beach Bioys singles, Curtis, etc.

My album assortment also reflects the notion of scarcity and economic value. A lot of records stuck because they cost real money. I think that I remember the price I paid for a lot of those records. The Charles Ives Symphony no. 4 Stokowski / Columbia would cost me a walk to the library when I was a kid and a walk back when the week was up.

• Members

No order here. My life doesn't play back in order. Sorry.

The Beattles. I never had a Beattles album. I was eight years old, for goodness sake. But I knew there was something for me in that yellow sub.

Elvis Costello. It was Junior high time. Bad kids... who had guitars... were into it. Only really cool kids listened to it. They pretended to understand the lyrics. I was... influenced. I developed a tolerance for music outside of the James Taylor, Jim Croce, and America that had taught me to play the guitar and sing. Later in life I bought

• Members

I don`t have 19 albums that changed my life but there were several that really came along when my life was changing that I associate with pretty strongly.

1. Mat Kearney, Nothing To Lose: Most recent album... was going through a really dark time and ended up leaving a job I loved but eventually couldn`t stand anymore. Also marked the presence of other vital people coming into my life at the time that would force me to take some long hard looks at where I was and wanted to go.

2. Shawn Colvin, A Few Small Repairs: Heard this when I met my wife. She turned me onto it and I was completely in awe of the songwriting and John Leventhals production.

3. U2, Rattle and Hum: My friend gave me a copy of his cassette way back in the late 80s... it was the last day of HS going into the summer. I listened to that live album everyday and just loved the raw emotion of the band.

• Members

1) Beatles - Abbey Road, Sergeant Pepper's, Revolver, Rubber Soul, etc.
2) Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks, etc.
3) James Taylor - Sweet Baby James, One Man Dog, JT, etc.
4) Eagles - Hotel California (etc.)
5) Tom Petty/Heartbreakers - Wildflowers, Full Moon Fever, Damn the Torpedoes, etc.
6) Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones, Pirates
7) Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
8) Marc Cohn - Marc Cohn, The Rainy Season, etc.
9) Dan Fogelberg - The Innocent Age
10) The Band - everything up to and including The Last Waltz
11) Neil Young - Harvest, Harvest Moon, Rust Never Sleeps, Prairie Wind, Living With War, etc.
12) Shawn Colvin - A Few Small Repairs
13) John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola, Paco DeLucia - Friday Night in San Francisco
14) Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver
15) Joni Mitchell - everything
16) Jackson Browne - just about everything
17) Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (and more)

Just a few...

• Members

I knew albums wold pop into my mind saying "what about me," but I can't believe I left out two celtic crescent masterpieces that I spent the '90s wallowing in, so addendum:

The Pogues, If I Should Fall From Grace with God

The Proclaimers, Sunshine on Leith

• Members

Not really life changing, but I'll name some albums that stand out among others throughout time. No order...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Just too good for words to describe!!! Fantastic Album - great to zone out to. It takes me to another dimension in time.

Queen - News of the World Bought it for the hyped "We Will Rock You/We are the Champions" and then found the TRUE TREASURES hidden on the flip side. "Get Down, Make Love" (Donna Summer didn't have anything on Queen when it came to eroticism - although I did like her song Love to Love You, Baby), and then there's "It's Late" - great song... "Spread Your Wings" - I just loved the nature of escapism in the song... listening to the song gave me hope for a life outside of adolescence.
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Queen - Night at the Opera Bohemian Rhapsody - the ultimate in rock opera!!! This song ranks at the top of my list in all time favorites. It sends chills down my spine whenever I hear it, still. The harmonies, the delicate music, the overall beauty of the music composition, vocals, and performance... it's a masterpiece! My mother even liked the song (which was a major feat whenever I was a teen) I didn't even have to ask her to buy the album; she bought it for me.

Heart - Dreamboat Annie Two chicks on guitars in the 70's - come on now' ... that was killer!!! They had great chops, great voices, great harmonies.... From their commercial hits on the album, like "Magic Man" , and "Crazy on You", which were both driven with energetic passion, clear down to each individual album cut ... that album RATES!!!! White Lightning & Wine ... funky and defiant. "Dreamboat Annie", "Soul of the Sea", "If You Love Me Like Music, I'll Be Your Song", and "How Deep it Goes" - all of those songs are just dreamy as the Wilson sisters lift you out of your skin and take you on a journey with them to the places they so eloquently portray into words. And then "Sing Child Sing" - just pure energy.
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac Lots of great tracks on this album... from passionate to purity... it's all there. Here's a later version of Landslide; with the simplicity of a single guitar and a vocal... it doesn't get any better than this.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Eagles - One of These Nights

Train - Drops of Jupiter
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Incubus - Drive
incubus.youtube.jpg

NINETEEN??????? geez louise!!!

Those above are the ones that immediately pop into my head... I'll have to do some thinking to come up with more...

• Members

Jesus Christ Superstar (OLC)- my earliest influence and to this day nobody can play Jesus but Ian Gillan

Boston S/T- my first album

Boston- Don't Look Back- follow-up of my first favorite band

Saturday Night Fever- First R movie I saw in a theater... the soundtrack was a major player in the movie

Kiss- Double Platinum- got it for Christmas (8-track), it had all the biggies and their mystique was biggre than the music, listened to it while painting a Frank Frazetta paint-by-numbers picture

Ozzy- Blizzard + Diary- Randy Rhoads made me want to learn how to play guitar

Black Sabbath- S/T + all the rest- Doom w/ Devil overtones...parents didn't dig it at all, 'nuff said

Led Zeppelin- S/T + all the rest- a whole different scene than BS but just as big, got me into Blues and made me want to lock myself in my room and just listen

Judas Priest- British Steel + HBFL- NWOBHM had come

Pink Floyd- The Wall- scared the crap outa me listening to it late at night on headphones

Queensryche- S/T. Warning, RFO, OMC- dark, progressive and themes of futuristic revolution...just what I needed

Opeth- MAYH, SL, BWP, D&D- music on a whole other level to me, couldn't and still can't believe the writing and arranging that goes on in Akerfeldt's head

Nusrat Fetah Ali Khan- everything- the voice of G-d

Peter Gabriel- Passion: The Last Temptation of Christ- such an atmospheric soundscape...it still takes me breath away to this day

Temple of the Dog- S/T- more emotion packed into that disc than the entire sum of music during the 90s...got me through a hard Summer

Anthrax- Fistful of Metal- the birth of Thrash...I liked what the East Coast was doing a little more than the West Coast

sure there is more that I can't remember now, but that's a good start-

edit:

Dixie Dregs- What if... - turned me onto prog by my Uncle who made me the greatest mix tapes

Rush- Permanent Waves- My own first discovery of prog rock

Mussorgsky- Pictures at an Exhibition- was my grandfather's favorite and that must be how it became my favorite classical piece as well...introduces me to the concept of "seeing" by music

Archived