Sign of the times...

Phait

• Members

Well one thing is for certain; buisnesses that sell things that are not necessary are going to be hurting in next couple of years. The tatoo thing has been a trend that has kind of peaked in the last couple of years. When money gets tight and you see people around you losing their jobs and homes, getting a new tatoo just doesn't get as high a priority as it used to.

• Members

Well one thing is for certain; buisnesses that sell things that are not necessary are going to be hurting in next couple of years. The tatoo thing has been a trend that has kind of peaked in the last couple of years. When money gets tight and you see people around you losing their jobs and homes, getting a new tatoo just doesn't get as high a priority as it used to.

Yep.

• Members

What does a tattoo parlor closing have to do with Bush? Trends change. Tattoos aren't as "hip" as they once were. The new trend is tattoo removal. Maybe they should have closed up shop and opened a shop specializing in removal of their previous work. ;)

• Members

:thu: Yup, thats what I was thinking.

• Members

What does a tattoo parlor closing have to do with Bush? Trends change. Tattoos aren't as "hip" as they once were. The new trend is tattoo removal. Maybe they should have closed up shop and opened a shop specializing in removal of their previous work.
;)

Well, if the owner was republican, they would have blamed it on Obama so... Am I right or am I right?

Believe me, its just a matter of time before we start chanting... impeach Obama. When the economy really takes a dump which it will in another 6-12 months... watch how freaked out everyone gets. People forget that during the Great Depression, the unemployment rate was 24%. 1 out of 4 people was unemployed! Thats a lot of people.

• Members

That old attack that Wal-Mart causes local businesses to close has be debunked many times.

I don't know this for a fact, so take it with a grain of salt, but I remember reading an article that said it's sort of a give and take, as it does tend to make small businesses close (or certainly make a lot less money) but that it also created jobs for the community as well.

• Members

Literally. Shot this downtown, used to be a tattoo shop.

It's funny, I think of the proliferation of tattoo shops as being a sign of the times... part of the dumbing down... collective loss of common sense. A couple days before this thread I had noticed yet another tattoo shop open where another business had been for a couple decades.

So yeah, with that in mind it's pretty unsettling when even a tattoo shop can't survive. A different way of looking at it than you intended, I'm sure, but same conclusion

• Members

Believe me, its just a matter of time before we start chanting... impeach Obama. When the economy really takes a dump which it will in another 6-12 months... watch how freaked out everyone gets. People forget that during the Great Depression, the unemployment rate was 24%. 1 out of 4 people was unemployed! Thats a lot of people.

There is obviously a doom gene. There are just certain people who, in the face of any downturn, predict the end is near because they become overwhelmed with paranoia I guess. And of course there are lots of people out there who make their living telling us that the other side is dragging us down into oblivion (even when their side is running the show), and if you aren't curled up in a ball of fear then their big paycheck is in danger.

The Great Depression was in so different a finanical and political time that it would probably take ten times the problems to get us to the same place today, if not more. Governments are far faster to react such things, and since so much of it is perception anyway, those things do make a difference, however little they may be based on any sort of proveable thesis. The actual problems will be corrected in time, and they'll be corrected a lot quicker if people don't go into bunker mentality mode.

But anyway... The econony is cyclical, come to accept it. Most of the time the many different cycles are out of sync, but sometimes they sync up and the hit will be worse. But if you really think that this is going to put us into another great depression, you have really been listening to too many fear mongers, IMO.

I guarantee you that the seeds of the next upswing are being planted right now. It's these times where the small and the quick get their chance to make inroads and create the next wave of innovation. The people who make a real difference don't sit around and worry about the fact that the economy is down. They create the conditions that turn the economy back up.

And, frankly, the big companies get what is probably a much needed shakeout. Continued good times, as much as we like them, are not always good for us in the long term. Lack of adversity makes us careless and egotistical and fat. So it's not always a bad thing. It's cruel for sure, but I think it's a necessary thing for long term financial health.

• Members

But anyway... The econony is cyclical, come to accept it. Most of the time the many different cycles are out of sync, but sometimes they sync up and the hit will be worse. But if you really think that this is going to put us into another great depression, you have really been listening to too many fear mongers, IMO.

Well, I am a pathological optimist, but I don't know what to think these days. We have tent cities popping up all over the country; Reno, Seattle, Nashville, San Bernadino.

We haven't seen anything like this in our lifetime and I assure you that those folks living in those tent cities who just months ago had a job and a home would tell you that this is a lot like the Great Depression to them.

Archived