Sign of the times...

Phait

• Members

There is obviously a doom gene. There are just certain people who, in the face of any downturn, predict the end is near because they become overwhelmed with paranoia I guess. And of course there are lots of people out there who make their living telling us that the other side is dragging us down into oblivion (even when their side is running the show), and if you aren't curled up in a ball of fear then their big paycheck is in danger.

The Great Depression was in so different a finanical and political time that it would probably take ten times the problems to get us to the same place today, if not more. Governments are far faster to react such things, and since so much of it is perception anyway, those things do make a difference, however little they may be based on any sort of proveable thesis. The actual problems will be corrected in time, and they'll be corrected a lot quicker if people don't go into bunker mentality mode.

But anyway... The econony is cyclical, come to accept it. Most of the time the many different cycles are out of sync, but sometimes they sync up and the hit will be worse. But if you really think that this is going to put us into another great depression, you have really been listening to too many fear mongers, IMO.

I guarantee you that the seeds of the next upswing are being planted right now. It's these times where the small and the quick get their chance to make inroads and create the next wave of innovation. The people who make a real difference don't sit around and worry about the fact that the economy is down. They create the conditions that turn the economy back up.

And, frankly, the big companies get what is probably a much needed shakeout. Continued good times, as much as we like them, are not always good for us in the long term. Lack of adversity makes us careless and egotistical and fat. So it's not always a bad thing. It's cruel for sure, but I think it's a necessary thing for long term financial health.

Gee, an actual voice of reason here. How utterly refreshing. +10,000

• Members

Another thing that bothers me is the whole 'Dow at a decade low level'. Well, duh. Look at a chart of the Dow:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5EDJI#chart2:symbol=^dji;range=my;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined

See anything different starting around 1994? There was a massive inflation of the value of the Dow starting at that point. If you look at the rest of the graph before 1994, and project it at the same rate of upswing, we'd be about where we are right now if it weren't for the massive bubble that began with the internet thing.

People completely lose perspective on this and seem to think that the massive run up of the stock market during those bubble years was normal and that we are now falling back from normal. But we are really falling back from crazy to normal.

• Members

The one local shop that ain't closing?

psychic.jpg

If you're in L.A., you know you can't walk more than two blocks any direction without coming across another "reader" willing to take money from the troubled and desperate.

• Members

The one local shop that ain't closing?

psychic.jpg

If you're in L.A., you know you can't walk more than two blocks any direction without coming across another "reader" willing to take money from the troubled and desperate.

They'd be better off with a numerologist than an armchair psychologist (psychic). ;)

• Members

Hey, even I can tell the future. You are going to get older, fatter, and die. Fi dolla, please.

Ooooooh...he is good.:eek:

Great post above Dean. I always enjoy your insight.

Have you posted in my National Dept thread yet?

• Members

Tat business is going by the wayside because everyone realized that they are no indicator of masculinity on guys, and that they simply make women look trashy.

I can back this up with evidence. Any pairing of UFC fighters, and the one with the purtiest, most extensive tats usually gets their ass whooped.

Archived