Recommend me a 10" speaker

theAntihero

• Members

How much are you willing to invest: time and money? From my experience:

The celestion G10-35L is only available second hand, but it's a great speaker with great clarity, balance and presence. It has some bite at the top end, crisp mids and a slightly loose but warm sounding bottom end.

The P10R tends to be a little bright, which aids clarity. It has a slightly grainy, Fendery tone than can sound warm and woody with the right guitar or a bit thin and shrill with the wrong one. Less efficient that most other speakers, if you want lower volumes then it's helpful that way.

Celestion V10 - the opposite of the P10, this is all round much louder (I'd guess 6-7 decibels) and with an upper-mid spike just like the V30. It's a good rock speaker but not really balanced enough for great cleans. To get an idea, listen to Doc Jefferey's AC4 recordings.

Outside my experience: I'd look at the Celestion G10M, and the Eminence Ragin Cajun or Ramrod. I think the Emi's will give you (lots) more volume and make the amp sound bigger/fill a bigger space. The celestion G10M is likely to have a slightly more sophisticated, classy classic rock speaker thing going on.

• Members

Don't know what your buget is but the Weber Blue Pup is a good speaker.

Ceramic or Alnico depending on your needs.

Agreed - great speaker.

So is the Eminence Ramrod 10. Surprisingly full and tight low end for a 10, nice smooth mids. Really a very good medium rock speaker, but does heavier stuff pretty well also.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses. I listened to the clips on Emi's site and cant say that one really jumps out at me. I played thru most the cabs i have around here,none of which are 10's i know, and here is what i found out:

I like my Emi Legend 1518's, the stock legends that came in my Drive 4x12 and a EVM12L

I didnt like the Swamp Thang( too fizzy suprisingly) nor did i like the Weber Sig 12S in Alnico or Ceramic.

Does anyone have any experence with the Celestion Tube 10? So far its between this and a Ramrod.

• Members

Does anyone have any experence with the Celestion Tube 10? So far its between this and a Ramrod.

Ow, not the tube 10 please - it's really {censored}ty. I do insist: you REALLY should give the Celestion Greenback 10 a try, it's the sweetest rock/blues 10" on the market IMHO.

Now, someone mentionned the Celestion G10-L35 and I agree, it's a rather good one (way better than the Tube 10, but still a mile from the Greenback).

• Members

Ow, not the tube 10 please - it's really {censored}ty. I do insist: you REALLY should give the Celestion Greenback 10 a try, it's the sweetest rock/blues 10" on the market IMHO.

Now, someone mentionned the Celestion G10-L35 and I agree, it's a rather good one (way better than the Tube 10, but still a mile from the Greenback).

Thanks for the info, i know nothing about 10" speakers as i never have really used them so im kinda trying to do this blind.

I will say that since i paid $50 for the amp id rather not spend loads on a new speaker. im contemplating just ripping out the amp and making a headshell but having a small light tube combo might be handt.

• Members

I gots a new Crate V5 and while i like the amp connected to another cab, the stock speaker is awful, god awful. So i want a replacement taht'll work for rock and blues, any suggestions?

I bought this combo and put a eminence copperhead in it--it still sounded like crap. I think the packaging of the combo is so tight, that the speaker, any speaker, just doesn't have the room it needs. I pulled the amp out of the cabinet and use them seperately. Actually, I pretty much just use the cabinet...the amp still sounds pretty dodgy.

• Members

I had a Crate V5 for a couple months... bought it cheap off of craigslist and could never get along with it. I tried it with (in other cabinets) the stock speaker, a Weber Ceramic Sig 10, a Weber Alnico Signature 12, a Celestion Relic 30 (similar to the Vintage 30), a Celestion Seventy 80 and a 4x12 with some relatively generic Celestions.

I'd say that the Ceramioc Signature 10 was about a ten times improvement, but I just don't think I like the amp itself. And it was loud as hell through the 4x12, but again... just not my thing. I could get some tones I liked with single coils, but never got a thick, meaty tone with HBs... it always sounded like a $40 amp to me and I'm about as far from an equipment elitist/snob as you can get.

• Members

Get the Jensen MOD10 it is cheaper than their Blue and sounds more like 12" Celestion than a 10" Celestion and is cheap. I have used them all and this is the best for the buck ..

Read the reviews +

MF has a return policy if you do not like it too!

Here it is in a Marshall MG30DFX I bought because I liked the Purple and it took out some of the harshness MG's are infamous for but still has plenty of punch.

• Members

I have been using an eminence Ragin Cajun in my super champ xd for over a year.It will give your amp a much bigger sound. expect much more volume and fuller sound throughout.takes a bit for it to break in for sweetness but it will be a lot louder right away.it has an American flavor not to dark and not to bright.does all rock, country and even jazz.I don't do metal so I can't say about that.:)

• Members

I have a V8 - the forerunner to the V5 - and when I was speaker hunting it boiled down to the Lil Buddy hempcone [used by Carr] or a Weber. Ted recommended the Alnico Silver Bell as the best match for the amp, so I went ahead with that one.

I'm not sure about the cab on the V5, but I suspect it's similar to the V8. They back load the speakers [mounted to the back of the baffle] and there's very little clearance between the back of the speaker and the electronics. Most speakers I looked at were taller than what came stock, so they wouldn't fit. I had to do some cab surgery and front-load the Weber to make it fit.

A speaker change alone will help but the amp still needs some help. I've done extensive mods to my V8 and it's a superb sounding amp now. I've not gotten my hands on a V5 yet, but here's a link to a forum that talks about some V5 mods:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/145636-want-crate-v5-schematic.html

Good luck

Archived