Refret or Fret level? Experts chime in!

nuke_diver

• Members

It seems that my strat is wearing pretty good now. I don't believe I have to do anything soon but I'm going to start getting opinions here before I start asking around locally because I know this area is pricey (SF Bay Area). I really don't have the time or the place to do this myself so I think that is out and besides I do like this guitar and don't want to screw it up :eek:

A replacement neck is also an option but there's a chance I would like the replacement neck less so the first option would be to fix the existing. The picture comes out ok to show the frets

StratFretpic.jpg

So what do the experts think

• Members

wow, how old is the guitar? that G gouge is really dented, at least 3 frets will be needed to be replaced and the rest level.. i would go with a new neck, but i duno. is it used? thats some major fret wear.

• Members

Buying a new neck with stainless steel frets or having someone like BestFrets refret it in SS would solve your problem permanently. Just a thought. Not sure if the guitar's worth that kind of money, but if you like the neck it can be a good deal. Also improves playability IMO.

• Members

Wow....I'm rather impressed....I've played my Strat for thousands of hours and don't have any fret wear....I don't know how you guys do it.....

I'd say it's worth it to invest in stainless steel frets if it's this easy to wear them out like that. It's probably not worth getting a new neck if you really love that one.

• Members

Wow....I'm rather impressed....I've played my Strat for thousands of hours and don't have any fret wear....I don't know how you guys do it.....

Easy! Just do a lot of agressive string bending, trills and wide vibrato on the lower frets for 6 months or so. That should do it.

• Members

Wow.

I would say go with the fret filing first to see how much headroom you have on those frets, if all else fails I would start shopping high quality wire replacement for those current frets.

Sucks that it's that way but...it's that way.

• Members

You can get a Warmoth Pro neck with Stainless Steel frets from about $250- 350 depending what you want. Just keep this in mind when talking to someone about a refret.

If this neck is a real part of your playing then just go for the refret.

• Members

wow those frets must be made out of solder...I used to live in SF and I knew plenty of musicians and a few that did excellent guitar work. Can't be that hard to find a guy to do a refret for less than what a new neck costs.

What kind of strings do you use? Pure Nickel are easiest on frets.

You know the term 'hammer on' is just an expression?

• Members

wow those frets must be made out of solder...I used to live in SF and I knew plenty of musicians and a few that did excellent guitar work. Can't be that hard to find a guy to do a refret for less than what a new neck costs.

What kind of strings do you use? Pure Nickel are easiest on frets.

You know the term 'hammer on' is just an expression?

I don't know about fenders, but some lower end guitars have a really soft alloy wire. I wore down the frets on my cheaper ibby really fast.

• Members

MIM strat not expensive at all $320 new

So it could be lower quality wire, it could be that I have a death grip :D and it could be that I did all of my playing on an acoustic first...which also has been refretted once so it might be the death grip thing after all :idk:

I like the neck but I like other necks I have too, I don't think I'm too particular. I've got a few tech names and I'll start calling around and see if they will do SS which was the way I was thinking of going aways. IF the price is out to lunch I think a Warmoth is about $300 for a SS maple neck

• Members

MIM strat not expensive at all $320 new

So it could be lower quality wire, it could be that I have a death grip
:D
and it could be that I did all of my playing on an acoustic first...which also has been refretted once so it might be the death grip thing after all
:idk:

I like the neck but I like other necks I have too, I don't think I'm too particular. I've got a few tech names and I'll start calling around and see if they will do SS which was the way I was thinking of going aways. IF the price is out to lunch I think a Warmoth is about $300 for a SS maple neck

Why not just go with an Allparts or Mighty Mite neck then. You can get 22 med. jumbo fret necks for $150 or less. There licensed Fender necks.

• Members

A partial refret and level would do the trick.

It really shouldn't cost that much.

Much cheaper than buying a good quality neck.

Besides you said you like this neck, and you're taking a big chance on a new one.

Good Luck and let us see the finished product.

• Members

As everyone else has said, it will almost definitely need at least a partial refret followed by a full level/crown/polish. Now, with that said, it's the perfect oppurtunity to try your hand performing an LCP yourself. With that much wear you aren't going to get it perfect, but the playability should definitely increase and allow you to hold off on the refret for just a bit longer. Follow this thread I posted a couple of months ago regarding an LCP on an older Washburn neck:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2292115&highlight=fret+level

In the first pic you can see the frets are pretty well worn (not as bad as your frets, however) and in the last you will see just how nice they look afterwards. We're talking ~$10 in materials and tools and about an hour to and hour and a half of time.

• Members

Yes SS is what I'm thinking new neck if I can't find some that will do them locally

Boy I'm taking a lot of abuse for having strong hands
:cop:
:poke:

Its not really about strong hands its how you use them. YOu need to lighten up on your touch IMO. Try this, play while your tuner is on and I bet you are pressing so hard you are playing every note sharp. You'd be suprised.

• Members

Yes SS is what I'm thinking new neck if I can't find some that will do them locally

Boy I'm taking a lot of abuse for having strong hands
:cop:
:poke:

I wouldn't worry about being heavy handed - my MIJ strat was worn like that after about 14 years of use, and is still being played with a slightly high action. ;) I think you'd find quite a few name players are known for wearing their frets out quickly - I remember reading an article about Rory Gallagher and how his strat had been refretted so much.

My concern, like yours, is that a replacement neck simply won't be as good or have the same tone. Sometime soon I might well try a partial refret myself, although it might be a touch tricky, since it's a maple board too.

Archived