"Alternative"

scolfax

• Members

Yeah, Creed is hardly what I would call "alternative" rock.

"Alternative" rock encompasses everything from punk, post-punk, new wave, goth, darkwave, shoegaze, dreampop, janglepop, Britpop, indie-rock, post-rock or anything derived from and/or influenced by the aforementioned sub-genres.

• Members

really, once Nirvana and the other grunge bands got sort of big alternative really stopped meaning anything. Sort of like indie music. Once Indie bands got on major labels, the designation "okay, this is indie, this isn't indie" got really blurred as well

• Members

I always thought that Alternative music was a sub genre of Indie...

alternative was indie before indie was called indie. If a band like REM started today they'd be called indie, not alternative. Now alt rock has moved on to mean more modern hard rock

yeah its all a bit ridiculous

• Members

I think that classifying a band is dumb, then that means that when the band wants to play something else then people think they are selling out.

Have fun describing music without genres.

Anyways, at least it isn't the dreaded Alternative Metal, which generally just seems to be rock that isn't very tuneful, and is kinda heavy.

• Members

When I was cutting my teeth as a young buck, "alternative" meant groups like the Pet Shop Boys, the Cure, Tears for Fears, Oingo Boingo, etc. It was a term for New Wave Brit pop mainly.

Then 70s freedom rock morphed into "New Country", rap and new R&B somehow came to dominate the charts, a series of teenie bopper "Divas" came to be known as "pop", and I grew too annoyed with the Ticketmaster and endless car commercials featuring my favorite bands to bother with most music in general. (In short, I became a grumpy old man sometime in my mid twenties.) I started making my own music.

To me, Creed is totally pop rock, and the only "alternatives" to crap pop comes from a few emo bands like the Shins, and a whole host of musicians operating outside of the mainstream music machine, many of whom I've never heard.

• Members

alternative was indie before indie was called indie. If a band like REM started today they'd be called indie, not alternative. Now alt rock has moved on to mean more modern hard rock

yeah its all a bit ridiculous

Agreed... If you want to get specific (and extremely subjective), I'd call R.E.M. (along with their peers like Guadalcanal Diary) Jangle Pop... but some would argue "College Rock".

• Members

A friend played me a Creed song the other day and classified it as "Alternative" Rock. I thought it was just straight-up pop/rock.

To me, early R.E.M = Alternative.

"Alternative" really means "not as good as whatever we're trying to be the alternative to". When you find a band that's "alternative", but you're not sure what they're trying to be the alternative to, well then you've found the bottom of the musical barrel. Congrats :thu:

• Members

"Alternative" really means "not as good as whatever we're trying to be the alternative to". When you find a band that's "alternative", but you're not sure what they're trying to be the alternative to, well then you've found the bottom of the musical barrel. Congrats
:thu:

Yeah, because mainstream rock and pop these days is such quality stuff.:facepalm:

• Members

Yeah, because mainstream rock and pop these days is such quality stuff.
:facepalm:

That's the point - it's pretty hard to be one notch worse, and when you pull it off you've really accomplished something, at least in a manner of speaking.

The bottom of the barrel is a journey, not a destination :D

Archived