Yes and Asia

blazingblake

• Members

I assume the Yes lineup is: Howe, White, Squire, Wakeman (Jr) and the guy who's subbing for Anderson. (Can't think of his name but he was the singer from a Canadian Yes tribute band.) I have not heard that Jon has rejoined the group after his respiratory failure.

EG

• Members

Wakeman (Jr) sub for Anderson?

No. Rick Wakeman's son is playing keyboards. Some guy who was the singer in a Yes tribute band is doing vocals.

While they were planning the 40th anniversary tour last year, Jon suffered a bout of respiratory failure. Damn near killed him from what I understand. His side of the story is that he was replaced and found out about it on the Yes website. No phone call or anything. He was very hurt. I don't know the other side to the story, but the tour went on without Jon.

EG

• Members

It's so sad about Jon. I guess his band members have given up on him and cast him aside. I hope he gets better.

Any how, I would go and see those two bands if I were a little closer.

Latest

Yes Team With Asia For Super-Prog Summer Tour

4/16/09, 3:18 pm EST

Photo: McCarthy/WireImage

The proggiest tour of all time, Yes with special guests Asia, is hitting the road this summer. For prog fans the enormous implications of this tour are quite clear. For others, imagine Wings opening up for the Beatles or the Justice League taking up music and hitting the road. It

• Members

I saw Asia before the new album came out. Steve Howe was amazing. He played every part perfectly and shot "laser eyes" at anyone making mistakes. It did seem ( to me at least) that Wetton and Downs were phoning it in. Carl Palmer and Howe made it worth going to anyway.

• Members

Considering that every single member of Yes (except I think Squier, since joining) was excluded from the band at one time or another (and Squier was not invited to participate in the first ABWH album), I think it's a little silly for Jon Anderson to say he feels "hurt" that they decided to do a tour or two without him until if/when he recovers.

Still, I think it's kind of weaksauce to get an impersonator. I'd much rather they found another high tenor who was good in his own right and had the range to cover Anderson's old parts but wasn't necessarily pretending to BE him. Heck, even a good alto female vocalist might have been a good choice.

Not that this will stop me from going. Howe's guitar-playing alone is worth the price of a ticket.

• Members

"but to the best of my knowledge a supergroup has never opened up for the group it spawned from."

Based on how downright spine-tinglingly exiting the new album is, I wouldn't be surprised if The Dead Weather ends up touring with The Kills and/or The Raconteurs opening for them!

• Members

The Groups Yes and Asia are playing a show in my town thursday night does anybody know who are in these bands nowadays?

Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Alan White, Rick Wakeman's son, and a singer they found in a Yes Tribute band who is supposed to be good

• Members

Thanks for this thread.

I am going July 23rd!

Have you ever been to that venue before? National Harbour? Looks like it's general admission only for this show but maybe the seating area is just sold out. Though I've seen both bands in their prime, $20 for the double-bill is a pretty damn good deal! Might see you out there.

• Members

i haven't been there yet, but a friend goes to most any concert and he has. This is the sundown series and the price is about what they usually run, sometimes less.

Do you look like your avatar? if so, I'll track you down.

:badump:

Note that I do not look like my avatar!

If yer going, pm me and I'll send my phone number.

Archived