The Beatles: A guestion for those who don't "get" them!

New Trail

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to be confrontational, but for those of you, as noted in the other thread, who don't 'get' the Beatles, or the hype, who DO you 'get?' What bands do you like? Just curious!

If you are 35 or younger, theres a good chance that you don`t get all the hype. I like their music and I appreciate all they did but I am one of those sort of on the fringes, wondering... why the hell are they treated like Gods?

I think if you take away all the media coverage and the frenzy they caused with little girls, I do believe we would look at them very differently.

From a production standpoint their creative output was and still is, unmatched. However, if you were born later than 1970... you had to do your homework to get The Beatles and even then, we did not experience Beatle-mania firsthand so its like trying to explain your "first time" to a virgin. Get it? :thu:

• Moderators

Not to be confrontational, but for those of you, as noted in the other thread, who don't 'get' the Beatles, or the hype, who DO you 'get?' What bands do you like? Just curious!

OK, I'll bite.

I f'n HATE the Beatles! Unlike Zeppelin (who I loved as a kid but I'm sick to death of now due to constant airplay), I never really liked them.

IMHO they lack darkness and complexity, they don't RAWK, they just aren't my cup of tea. :idk:

I hate it when someone says, "Oh, you don't GET them! "It's not that I don't GET them, I don't WANT them! :facepalm:

Tastes vary, ok? You like blue, I like red, hell, I put ketchup on mashed potatoes but I don't hate YOU for using gravy. :idk:

Anyway, what was the question?

Oh yeah, give you some of my favorite bands to trash in return, fair enough.

Too many to list, but I'm currently liking Storyville, Tonic, Matchbox20, Monte Montgomery, Nickel Creek, Santana, Beyonce, Joan Osborne, and many many others.

I'd be fine with it if I never hear a Beatles song again, in fact I'd prefer that. :thu:

:wave:

Terry D.

P.S. Notice I didn't say the Beatles suck (though I do think that), I said they're not my cup of tea - and that's very different from saying "I don't get them."

OK, I'll bite.

I f'n HATE the Beatles! Unlike Zeppelin (who I loved as a kid but I'm sick to death of now due to constant airplay), I never really liked them.

IMHO they lack darkness and complexity, they don't RAWK, they just aren't my cup of tea.
:idk:

I hate it when someone says, "Oh, you don't GET them! "It's not that I don't GET them, I don't WANT them!
:facepalm:

Tastes vary, ok? You like blue, I like red, hell, I put ketchup on mashed potatoes but I don't hate YOU for using gravy.

Too many to list, but I'm currently liking Storyville, Tonic, Matchbox20, Monte Montgomery, Nickel Creek, Santana, Beyonce, Joan Osborne, and many many others.

I'd be fine with it if I never hear a Beatles song again, in fact I'd prefer that.
:thu:

Terry D.

P.S. Notice I didn't say the Beatles
suck
(though I do
think
that), I said they're not my cup of tea - and that's very different from saying "I don't get them."

Well put, Terry.

Hell, yeah. :thu:

Now my turn:

- Pink Floyd -you said anything about being dark?

- Depeche Mode

- Kraftwerk

- The Cure

- U2

- Nine Inch Nails

- Pet Shop Boys

• Members

OK, I'll bite.

IMHO they lack darkness and complexity, they don't RAWK, they just aren't my cup of tea.

I hate it when someone says, "Oh, you don't GET them! "It's not that I don't GET them, I don't WANT them!

Tastes vary, ok? You like blue, I like red, hell, I put ketchup on mashed potatoes but I don't hate YOU for using gravy.

I'd be fine with it if I never hear a Beatles song again, in fact I'd prefer that.

Terry D.

suck
(though I do
think
that), I said they're not my cup of tea - and that's very different from saying "I don't get them."

Boy you Beatles haters sure have {censored}ty taste.:poke:;):thu::eek::

• Members

What I really "don't get" is the point of this thread. I mean, I do like some Beatles songs and would never doubt their importance in music culture, but IMO this all falls under the same umbrella of "different strokes for different folks". Some folks hold the Stones in high regard(Lee Flier??:poke:), some hold Nirvana, or Nine Inch Nails to a similar regard. If folks care to worship the Beatles like some sort of Christ-like entity, fine.. don't look down on others who don't share your enthusiasm.

• Members

What Terry says makes sense to me because it boils down to taste. He gets it, doesn't want it. Simple. A perfectly, well-reasoned post.

I think, however, when someone says that they don't deserve the hype (such as in the other thread), that's different. As I said before, I like some of their stuff, but they're not my favorite. But I do understand their achievements and influence. They don't need to be treated like gods. That's silly. But respect for their achievements and influence? Seems natural to me.

• Members

I guess I don't get the Beatles. I like some songs, but don't believe they deserve the profusion of praise they get. I understand that they were the first widely loved pop band to break away from the simple chords and melodies and the teenybopper lyrics that were rampant at that time, but still...

Who do I like? My very most favoritest musician (right now) is David Grier. But I'm a guitar weenie, so take that into account. I also really like Tim O'Brien, The Hot Club of Cowtown, Loudon Wainwright, Paul Simon, Tony Rice, Hank Williams (Sr.), Chris Thile (about half the time), Mark Knopfler, and, yes, Led Zeppelin.

• Members

I don't 'really' get the beatles. I like them, I don't like some of the albums at all and I do like others. I like revolver, sgt pepper, and the white album, but very little else.

I LOVE:

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Neil Young

U2 up to Zooropa

Pearl Jam

Jethro Tull

Jeff Beck (especially his more recent 3-4 albums)

Dire Straits

the list goes on all the way up Rage against the Machine.

I just think the beatles are too much pop and the melodies are too predictable/textbook.

• Members

Last time I had this discussion the guy arguing for the beatles as the greatest band ever also brought up how wonderful the beach boys were too. I HATE the beach boys maybe theres a relation there somewhere too.

• Members

OK, I'll bite.

I f'n HATE the Beatles!

currently liking Storyville, Tonic, Matchbox20, Monte Montgomery, Nickel Creek, Santana, Beyonce, Joan Osborne, and many many others.

Terry D.

This made my night. Thanks Knobs.

• Members

I don't buy that you had to be there while it was happening line one bit. I connected immeditatly with Laural & Hardy, The Three Stooges, old Popeye cartoons, and The Little Rascals long after they hung it up. I also connect with alot of classical, blues and jazz stuff recorded long before I was born. Thanks to the Beatles I connected with world music via the sitar and

tablas which is really ancient.

I've read that Jeff Beck didn't care for the Beatles but I liked his cover of 'She's a Woman'. Zappa spoofed them and didn't care for Elvis.

I connected with the Beatles right off, also surf music. I remember back then people who prefered the Stones trying to convince me they were much better. I liked the Stones even more so after the Beatles disbanded and I entered my teens. My tastes became more hard edged and blues based, but then I was also into Yes and ELP. The Beatles turned me into a musical schitzo.

Steve

• Members

I wasn`t.

I wasn't either, but spent years and years listening to them in my own era.

Here's a fun fact: lots of kids around my son's age (going on 10) are really into the Beatles. My kid has a Beatles shirt he wears to school that the other kids think is very cool. I think that kind of blows the "I wasn't there" theory, since these kids were born around 1998-2000. :)

• Members

I wasn't either, but spent years and years listening to them in my own era.

Here's a fun fact: lots of kids around my son's age (going on 10) are really into the Beatles. My kid has a Beatles shirt he wears to school that the other kids think is very cool. I think that kind of blows the "I wasn't there" theory, since these kids were born around 1998-2000.
:)

Don`t get me wrong. I like the band, I also realize their impact on music but I don`t turn to their music for listening enjoyment. I will turn to them for ideas though. From a creative standpoint, they were very rich. I don`t consider all their ideas brilliant though either but definitely interesting.

Whatever the case, when I say "you had to be there...", I mean that the craziness that was a huge part of their image does subconsciously boast their impact to most people. Its sort of when everyone is running out to get this latest gizmo and it creates such a marketing stir that even 30-40 years later the people that went out to purchase it are still talking about it like it was the best thing that ever happened to them, except in the meanwhile so many other products (bands/artists) have come forth that were equally as good and better in other aspects but you can`t see it because you`re blinded by the emotional connection with the first product.

Many people 40+ have an emotional connection with The Beatles of love, admiration, etc... which is cool but I think it blinds as well.

• Members

I'm 34, so I certainly "wasn't there", but I do get them, and have been fan since I was a teenager. Speaking as a musician, I don't understand how any musician could not at least appreciate the profound influence they had on everything that came after, including the aforementioned bands like Led Zeppelin, Floyd, U2, MB20, Depeche Mode, etc. - all of which would probably be playing different music (and maybe not even to your liking) if not for The Beatles. Flame suit on! ;)

I think a lot of folks confuse or attempt to lump together the Beatlemania phenomena and the praise they rightly deserve for being such innovators.

• Members

Whatever the case, when I say "you had to be there...", I mean that the craziness that was a huge part of their image does subconsciously boast their impact to most people. Its sort of when everyone is running out to get this latest gizmo and it creates such a marketing stir that even 30-40 years later the people that went out to purchase it are still talking about it like it was the best thing that ever happened to them, except in the meanwhile so many other products (bands/artists) have come forth that were equally as good and better in other aspects but you can`t see it because you`re blinded by the
emotional connection
with the first product.

Many people 40+ have an emotional connection with The Beatles of love, admiration, etc... which is cool but I think it blinds as well.

I'm not buying the "had to be there" thing either. The real craze part of it was in the mid 1960s. You would have had to be a teenager by then, or at least 10 or 11 years old to be "emotionally effected" by the Beatlemania. That means people 50+, not 40+.

In any case, it is very hard to dispute the fact that they wrote a ton of songs that stand the test of time. There's lots of music since then that also stands the test of time, but I can't think of any artist with as much music that stands the test of time.

• Members

I really couldn't give a rats ass about who does or doesn't like the Beatles...with one exception. I was in a courtship phase with a drummer once for a band in which I would be the principal songwriter (band still going strong) and when he expressed loathing for the Beatles and contempt for their drummer, I knew we had a problem--not personally mind you--I can respect the opinion 100%--but musically. He did do a few shows with us. The fit wasn't great.

The reason it is a good thing that the Beatles still "get in" to the listening diet of youngsters is that they are not likely to get that level of harmonic nourishment anywhere else in "pop," be it Pink Floyd or Beyonce.

And if you listen to enough Paul McCartney, you will eventually learn a few things about "line" that very few others have the power to teach.

Or course the Beatles are one of those bands who "get in" the diet in other ways too. I have a friend and frequent collaborator who is about 12 years my junior.

The Police and The Cure and U2 are his Beatles. Now he's way into the Beatles, but in that secondary, "checking out the masters" kind of way--and yet there is a lot of Beatlesque harmonic movement in his tunes, and I mean way beyond the signature major IV to minor iv that everyone associates with "Beatlesque" (if only it were that simple!).

So I quiz him on his other big influences and find...Elliot Smith! Aha! Lot of people "get their Beatles" from Elliot Smith...or XTC, or Big Star, etc.

• Members

I'm not buying the "had to be there" thing either. The real craze part of it was in the mid 1960s. You would have had to be a teenager by then, or at least 10 or 11 years old to be "emotionally effected" by the Beatlemania. That means people 50+, not 40+.

In any case, it is very hard to dispute the fact that they wrote a ton of songs that stand the test of time. There's lots of music since then that also stands the test of time, but I can't think of any artist with as much music that stands the test of time.

I know Elton John and Billy Joel were heavily inspired by The Beatles. I also feel they wrote tunes that will stand the test of time. Its so funny how the beatles discussion always gets people going. I did this around 2 years ago on a Mackie forum, not to start trouble but simply to state that I did not see it the way most of the other forum members did. I think after that thread, many of them put me on their ignore list. Or at least, never took me seriously anymore. oh well...:cool:

• Members

OK, I'll bite.

Terry D.

suck
(though I do
think

Oh... Terry.

I'm not a Beatles defender (not my favorite band by a stretch -- and I figure even if they were all dead they'd still be able to take care of themselves) but just seeing that list juxtaposed with the Beatles makes me fear that you are about to be savaged... and frankly, part of me wants to get a lick in, too. :D

But that seems out of keeping with the let-your-hair-down, let-it-all-out tenor of things in this thread... ;)

But... geez... Matchbox20 vs the Beatles. I'll take the Beatles in the first 15 seconds of the first round.

Archived