New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Members

Simply incredible. Not sure if it's the camera or how it looks in person, but someone mentioned it earlier in the thread that sometimes when you look at it it appears more like craters on the moon. A weird and wacky idea would be using this effect on a guitar painted yellow with the black spray over water bubbles would give it the distinct look like a comic book version of cheese (which they used to compare to the moon on Tom and Jerry).

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Simply incredible. Not sure if it's the camera or how it looks in person, but someone mentioned it earlier in the thread that sometimes when you look at it it appears more like craters on the moon. A weird and wacky idea would be using this effect on a guitar painted yellow with the black spray over water bubbles would give it the distinct look like a comic book version of cheese (which they used to compare to the moon on Tom and Jerry).

thanks fusion !!!

the cartoon cheese guitar could work ;)

• Members
great work noobie, am I right in thinking your doing black edges and a burst top and sides?

thanks man...

and yes, you are right, black edges, burst on top, back and possibly even the edges of the neck and back of the headstock :thu:

i am also, gonna spray silver water drops on the black headstock ;)

• Members

In that last pic, I see some little particles standing up on the guitar. Is that water still, or are those from the waterdrop effect, or are those still there from the metallic coats?

Any way you slice it, I'd go with two or 3 more coats of clear and a wetsand before bursting it.

• Members
In that last pic, I see some little particles standing up on the guitar. Is that water still, or are those from the waterdrop effect, or are those still there from the metallic coats?

Any way you slice it, I'd go with two or 3 more coats of clear and a wetsand before bursting it.

believe it or not I think what you are seeing is just the effect.

i have not actually run my hand across the surface since I created the effect, but it should be very smooth, with the exception of the black paint being slightly raised off of the silver/clear...

i do plan on doing several coats of the deft nitro clear before spraying the burst. along with a wet sand :thu:

i hope to spray the deft this evening and then let it dry for a day or two before doing a light wetsand and burst paint...

• Members
believe it or not I think what you are seeing is just the effect.

i have not actually run my hand across the surface since I created the effect, but it should be very smooth, with the exception of the black paint being slightly raised off of the silver/clear...

i do plan on doing several coats of the deft nitro clear before spraying the burst. along with a wet sand
:thu:

i hope to spray the deft this evening and then let it dry for a day or two before doing a light wetsand and burst paint...

Forgive me for not keeping up, but have you tested to see how the burst paint will take to the Deft? I still have flashbacks to my childhood when I painted my bike with enamel over lacquer primer. I ended up with a crackle coat. :facepalm:

Hey :idea: crackle burst!! :idea:

:D

BTW the effect looks phenomenal :thu:

:snax:more...

• Members

well i have good news and i have bad news :mad:

first the good news...

1. got a new used dryer tonight, so i can wash clothes again.
2. i did a little practicing with the airbrush on top of the deft clear, looks good.
3. i sprayed the guitar with deft and here are the pics...

dcam3803zg6.jpg
dcam3804az5.jpg
dcam3807vs8.jpg

now the bad news :cry:

this did not show up in my testing, but i got some cracking and wrinkling. the good news about this is it did not seem to happen on any of the water drop effect paint, but it did show up on one side and up by the headstock on the neck...

dcam3808wn7.jpg
dcam3812yr9.jpg
dcam3815ej5.jpg

i have no idea why this did not show up on my test strips and i have no idea why it has only happened in a couple of spots :confused:

i probably should have skipped using the acrylic enamel clear and just used the deft.

so now my situation is i need to be able to cover up the wrinkling and cracking without starting over. i think i should be able to sand some and spray those spots again, but i am not sure because i have never had this problem before.

again all of the spots that this happened to will be covered in black paint so that's a good thing, but at this point i am a little unsure of where i should go with this...

who has some opinions about this ????

• Members
well i have good news and i have bad news
:mad:

first the good news...

1. got a new used dryer tonight, so i can wash clothes again.

2. i did a little practicing with the airbrush on top of the deft clear, looks good.

3. i sprayed the guitar with deft and here are the pics...

dcam3803zg6.jpg
dcam3804az5.jpg
dcam3807vs8.jpg

That looks badass!
I think it also kinda looks like the surface of the moon as well, interesting effect for sure!
Sorry the neck kinda went south, but based on what I've seen, I'm sure it'll look killer when it's all fixed up.

• Members
That looks badass!

I think it also kinda looks like the surface of the moon as well, interesting effect for sure!

Sorry the neck kinda went south, but based on what I've seen, I'm sure it'll look killer when it's all fixed up.

thanks man, i appreciate it...

i will work out the problems i had, just need the clear to dry so i can sand a bit.

like i said at least there is more paint going on those areas and the neck is definitely getting a little burst on it too now :eek::thu:

• Members

who has some opinions about this ????

That happens when the last paint you sprayed was "hotter" then the paint under it. It works almost as a paint remover.

The only way you can get rid of it is to sand it away.

The most likely reason it only happened in some spots is probably because you sprayed a heavier coat on those spots.

• Members

Bummer about the wrinkling. :mad: I almost wonder if that would have been avoided had you waited longer to spray the Deft. :idk:

I will share an idea and my opinion (worth a grand total of two cents!) First, I was never completely down with the painted neck. So you could sand it and finish it clear...just sayin'. I like the idea of the silver fading to clear in the playing area of the neck and then back to silver...Unfortunately it looks like crackle-mania attacked the headstock. Now, you could always redo the headstock, and the neck for that matter. I am sure this went thru your head already.

One bit of cruel irony...a bolt-on neck wouldn't be creating any of this grief for you right now. :(

• Members

That happens when the last paint you sprayed was "hotter" then the paint under it. It works almost as a paint remover.

The only way you can get rid of it is to sand it away.

The most likely reason it only happened in some spots is probably because you sprayed a heavier coat on those spots.

hmmm, okay...

is it the paint underneath that cracked or the clear i just sprayed?

cuz as far as i can tell it's just the clear. plus underneath the clear i just sprayed is another layer of the clear acrylic enamel...

i really don't think it's gonna take much sanding to fix it, but it was a little disappointing.

it will however, NOT DEFEAT me !!!

• Members
Oh yeah, and the body looks super bad a$$. Did those spots just POP when you added the clear?

and thanks, i wish i had better lighting in my garage for pics at night, but i don't :cry:

here's a couple more i took without a flash and on the tripod, the effect really does POP after the deft was applied...

looks 3-D and wet !!! :love:

dcam3821kz7.jpg
dcam3824vj5.jpg

• Members
hmmm, okay...

is it the paint underneath that cracked or the clear i just sprayed?

cuz as far as i can tell it's just the clear. plus underneath the clear i just sprayed is another layer of the clear acrylic enamel...

i really don't think it's gonna take much sanding to fix it, but it was a little disappointing.

it will however, NOT DEFEAT me !!!

If you stick your fingernail in it, you'll see it's all the way down to the base paint, it's not just the transparent.

Defeat you? Are you joking?
I don't think even frick'n Godzilla can defeat you! Keep up the great work!

I've only posted these last two on your thread but have been your fan since you first started the project!

• Members

Was the guitar well used when you started? The reason I ask is because I was thinking the wrinkles could be from skin oils/dirt that were soaked into the wood from playing. If not, then definitely I agree with the temperature difference thing.

On the water spots, I think what someone was asking earlier is how some of the spots look white in the center. Did you use white as a contrast from the opposite side of where you sprayed the black from?

• Members

Was the guitar well used when you started? The reason I ask is because I was thinking the wrinkles could be from skin oils/dirt that were soaked into the wood from playing. If not, then definitely I agree with the temperature difference thing.

On the water spots, I think what someone was asking earlier is how some of the spots look white in the center. Did you use white as a contrast from the opposite side of where you sprayed the black from?

the guitar was brand new, look on the first page of this thread...

no the white spots sometimes show and sometimes they don't. not sure why...

i really don't like the white spots, but it still looks good enough i didn't want to mess with it... i only sprayed black in one direction at about a 20 to 30 degree angle from about 1 foot away...

• Members
If you stick your fingernail in it, you'll see it's all the way down to the base paint, it's not just the transparent.

Defeat you? Are you joking?

I don't think even frick'n Godzilla can defeat you! Keep up the great work!

I've only posted these last two on your thread but have been your fan since you first started the project!

damn, all the way to the paint :mad: that sucks !!!

what will happen if i just smooth out that area with sand paper and hit it with more clear? will it seal so i can paint black over it ???

and thanks for following and offering advice :thu:

Archived