Sorry, but I just heard Les Paul has died

headless

• Members
:cry:

Les Paul left us 100 years and three days after the world gave us C. Leo Fender, who was arguably the only other guy who could match Les' technical contributions to the tools of music making and recording in the 1900s... you gotta figure that Leo and Les are already talking guitar design up there in Heaven.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

R.I.P LES a true pioneer and genius and probably the first shredder. It would be great now if the PR guys from Gibson and Fender could get together to honor the passing of Les and the marking of Leo Fenders 100th birthday and put together a guitar fest that would have the guitar community drooling. You would have the cream of the crop lining up to pay tribute to the two men they idolize and gave them there tools of the trade. LETS GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD FOR ONE NIGHT.

• Members
Hey - it's not sad! The guy was in his mid 90s, lived a full and productive life, received numerous accolades and fame, and was healthy until the end. I envy the guy - I can't imagine much else you could ask for in a life well-lived.

:thu:

RIP Les

• Members

Very sad news, but if you are going to have to go at some point, this man seems to have set the frickin bar pretty high on getting the most out of life in terms of impact on something that you love.

I never got to see him and that is sad, but he's got a legacy that is pretty hard to compete with. His name is synonymous (actually, it is his name) with one of the most iconic instruments of all time...talk about enduring.

And I think that many of us forget his contributions to recording; I believe he invented the multi-track recorder.

He had a great frickin run and he'll be missed.

• Members

oh man, what a loss. When I was in NYC visiting Mazi Bee, he kept telling me to go see Les Paul play. He said, "You're not going to have many more chances to see him perform."

I regret not going.

R.I.P. Mr. Paul...thanks for the wonderful music and guitars!

Yeah, I saw him in 2005 shortly after he turned 90. It was a great show, he was a funny guy with a raunchy sense of humor, he was telling dirty jokes in between songs. Glad I got the chance to see him play.

• Members
Hey - it's not sad! The guy was in his mid 90s, lived a full and productive life, received numerous accolades and fame, and was healthy until the end. I envy the guy - I can't imagine much else you could ask for in a life well-lived.

Couldn't put it better. Les Paul was a very accomplished man, I mean - can anyone really argue when he says "I changed the guitar as people know it"?
And then continued to play guitar until the very end. And a loooong life, too. I think he tripled the lifespan of the average gutiarist :p

• Members

I hate to be crass at a time like this (I have nothing but respect for LP, the man), but your statement makes me wonder...

With the the passing of Michael Jackson, we saw sales of his recording spike.

I wonder if we'll see some similar expression of people wanting to feel some connection to LP by buying the guitar.

I wish I could see before and after sales figures on LP guitars.

Of course there'll be an increase. It's like that any time someone famous dies. It's easy to see working in retail music/movies. Farah died, and her movies and the first season of Charlie's Angels flew off the shelves. MJ's still going strong (and it's sickening me, to be honest). John Hughes brought out the Brat Pack fans and the box sets.

Ray Charles died and I swear there were two or three new box sets in the first month after. It's not even celebrities. The same thing happened when the Pope died.

I have no doubt that there will be an increase of Les Pauls sold, whether Gibson or some other brand. I'm sure there'll be some sort of Les Paul Tribute model, or a Log replica.

Archived