O.T. Old Star Trek TV series was ahead of its time

• Members

A local station has started showing the old series again. I noticed a few things that they showed in the 60's that are common today.

Big Screen display with 16:9 aspect ratio:

P004-800.jpg

Blue Tooth ear piece:

2109999325_2498f9c0bb.jpg

Flip open cell phones:

Star-Trek-Classic-Communicator.jpg

Ipod? ("There's an app for that"):

51_937-tricorder-spock.jpg

• Members

There was a show about Star Trek Tech. It also went into MRIs, GPS, cell phones and many other real life tech where the inventors gave much credit to the series for starting them down the path to the tools we now take for granted.

There's a strong case for imagination being the mother of invention.

• Members

This was the show.

It was really good, not to mentioned the 'soft' things, like interracial relationships, multi-species relationships, the lack of racism ( at least amongst the Federation, but you could argue that it was only migrated to the Roumlans and Klingons)...

I taped on and watched it the other night called How Bruce Lee Changed the world, which was also really interesting in many ways...Lots of times, we don't even know how significant something is until the impact of our exposure to it is made concrete.

And in case anyone has seen the new Trek AND Terminator, Kyle Reese is played by the same dude who plays Chekov in Trek now.

• Moderators

Yeah Dean. That was a good show. In it they mentioned something interesting. Paraphrasing...

"Cops consistently hate cop shows for their inaccuracies. Doctors make fun of ER and other medical shows. But talk to any scientist, from NASA or Scipps biomedical to the high school chemistry teacher, and nearly everyone of them will be a fan of the original Star Trek."

• Members

While the "sci-fi" of the original Star Trek series was OK, it was really just a setup for the interaction of characters to tell simple stories. Usually little "morality" tales. Granted, the morality in the series was ahead of its time, and definitely optimistic. Perhaps over-optimistic...

The "sci-fi" setup was just a framework for storytelling, much like vampires/demons in the "Buffy" series.

That said, what was once imagined is now real. Isn't that how it's supposed to work? One of the, if not the most, profound "visionary" sci-fi components of the series was the positioning of the computer as "ubiquitous" in running the ship. Of course, nowadays, it takes many computers to run a spaceship, but at that time, the idea of a "computer" was so awe-inspiring that practically nobody could envision a computer on everyone's desktop, much less in everyone's hand. The typical cell phone today has more processing power than most of the existing computers held when the original series aired.

Oh yeah. Wasn't nurse Chapel like the original MILF? Or was it just me?

• Members

A fact that sometimes gets lost amongst all the other trail blazing accomplishments is that the original show was also an early influence on the hugely popular show "MTV Cribs".

To wit:

[YOUTUBE]eBXal1GAA4A&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I am a child of the 60's and Trek was first run when I watched it. Remember how cool it was that the doors slid open when Kirk approached and closed when he went thru? When was the last time that you went into a chain store that didn't have sliding doors? Really, nowadays I think people avoid stores where you have to manually open doors.

It's funny, I was looking at my LCD TV on the wall and all the high tech gadgets in the house, the Roomba on the floor docking itself and all the futuristic stuff I have. My vision of the future was a Star Trek vision. I imagined everything would be modern and new, but all of the stuff is in my house which is over 50 years old. Indeed, the cities and the landscape have changed very little. The utopia of science fiction imagery never evolved. Instead, all the new architecture is coexistent with the old. The future is now, but it still for the most part looks like the past.....

• Members

Newsweek magazine just had an article on this same idea. The little information "blocks" that they used sure look like our existing thumb drives...

I'm surprised, extremely surprised, that no one has yet made a cell phone that looks like a Communicator, and makes that classic squiggly high-pitched sound when you open it. It'd sell like hot cakes.

• Members

Newsweek magazine just had an article on this same idea. The little information "blocks" that they used sure look like our existing thumb drives...

I'm surprised, extremely surprised, that no one has yet made a cell phone that looks like a Communicator, and makes that classic squiggly high-pitched sound when you open it. It'd sell like hot cakes.

I've been thinking that for a long time too. It's a total gimme.

• Members

I just did some quick research. Looks like it was attempted a few years ago by a company called Sona, but Paramont/Viacom own the rights and nixed it.

There is a newly available Star Trek VoIP phone, but it's hard wired.

I also found instructions to kind of make your own.

I also found a "12 Star Trek Gadgits That Became Reality" page.

• Members

Oh the irony of a forward thinking show in Star Trek now owned by such a backward thinking company. Paramont has done several things that almost killed the franchise. One group having TV rights while another has movie rights, closing the Trek Adventure and okaying the demolishing of the ships on that set, selling off all the props for almost nothing to a company that turned around and made a fortune off of them, etc

Archived