Please tell me this is not an authentic '52 Goldtop

kirs

• Members
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/ireports/2009/08/16/irpt.lespaultributes.cnn?iref=videosearch

Fast-forward to 0:52. '52 Les Paul Goldtop, low serial number and the guy sounds terrible. Some people have more money than talent I suppose
:idk:

{censored}.

All I've got are Agiles, a mexican Fender and a Guild GAD series - and I definitely have more money than talent.

Well. I did once, anyways.

• Members

Did LP's that early have serial numbers? I think I have seen 2 that did not have them. I am sure someone that knows more than I can confirm.

But just because he doesn't play as good as JP, EVH, or even Buckethead, does that mean he should not own a guitar he can afford?

• Members

Did LP's that early have serial numbers? I think I have seen 2 that did not have them. I am sure someone that knows more than I can confirm.

But just because he doesn't play as good as JP, EVH, or even Buckethead, does that mean he should not own a guitar he can afford?

He says it does not have a SN. Point is, a guitar worth that much should probably not be played. If he wants something to jam on just get a reissue. His money though, so more power to him.

• Members

Point is, a guitar worth that much should probably not be played.

A guitar like that should be played.

Playing it would not affect any value it has and a musical instrument is nothing if it is not played.

Why do violinists play Stradivarii? Because they keep their properties. If you keep them in a case, they lose their special quality.

Of course you would need to be brain-dead to abuse it while playing.

• Members

what gives any of you the right to judge him? Should he be playing some {censored}ty target first act guitar?

Lots of players here have more gear than talent. I am one of them. Sometimes having nice gear inspires us to play better / practice more.

I'd rather see a guitar like that being played and loved than sitting in some collectors vault.

• Members
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/ireports/2009/08/16/irpt.lespaultributes.cnn?iref=videosearch

Fast-forward to 0:52. '52 Les Paul Goldtop, low serial number and the guy sounds terrible. Some people have more money than talent I suppose
:idk:

So you're less successful than he is. We still like ya.

It's a hobby, not a competition.

A '52 or '53 are easily the least desirable years from the '50's. They can still be had in the $15K range, which is less than some Gibson and Fender limited editions.

• Members

A guitar like that should be played.

Playing it would not affect any value it has and a musical instrument is nothing if it is not played.

My thoughts. If you hang something on your wall, it should be a Farrah Fawcett poster.

And I doubt it gets played everyday. He broke it out for LP. If I had it, I would play it 3-4 times per year. Maybe more, maybe less. But I have other instruments.

• Members

what gives any of you the right to judge him? Should he be playing some {censored}ty target first act guitar?

Lots of players here have more gear than talent. I am one of them. Sometimes having nice gear inspires us to play better / practice more.

I'd rather see a guitar like that being played and loved than sitting in some collectors vault.

I agree....

• Members

Point is, a guitar worth that much should probably not be played.

he didnt play it that much..you notice the strings were black and he was actually missing one or 2. i never was able to find an early 52 for what i was willing to pay. had a guy offer to to me one for my offshore boat once..kinda wish i had done it now.

ive got a 59 up at at moms that rarely ever makes its way out of the case.my non replaceable guitars live up there for now.at least until hurricane season is over.

• Members

how do you know the guitar wasn't passed down through generations? maybe his dad bought in back in '62. i don't see what's so bad about him playing it, he owns it, he can do what he wants with it. it's not like he's smashing it or anything, so it's all good.

Archived