Do You Like Jumbo Frets.??

JerryBob

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, you'll find out.

I don't know. I prefer medium frets, but I can play just fine on the really skinny vintage ones, or the jumbos. It's just a little different. It's not like you're having to learn a new instrument or something.

• Members

A lot of foks say it makes it easier to bend with. I don't see it all that much though. The biggest adjustment I had to make with them was they forced me to lighten up my touch a lot to keep from pulling sharp. That's a good thing I suppose. Once I learned to do that, they do allow a nice vibrato effect very easily just by pushing/releasing tension on the string just behind the fret. I hated them at first, but I think maybe I'm warming up to them.

EG

• Members

Interesting....I worry that they don't "slide" well.??

Thanks for the replies.

More.....

I've never had an issue moving around the fretboard. My finger tips don't really go below the string plane much anyway. It will probably feel different, but you'll get used to it and probably start to prefer them as well after a short while.

• Members

I guess it depends on yer touch. I tend to play a bit heavy-handed, but I like the medium-jumbos the best. Although notes can be a bit touchy with larger frets, if you like vibrato on a hardtail, they can be very useful :thu:

• Members

I felt that way at first. Again, they taught me to release my death grip. That has helped my technique overall as well as relieving my hand of much fatigue.

EG

I had a similar experience EG. Overall I think it helped me hone my fretting technique.

• Members

I like them. My Tele is noticeably easier than my Strat to fret and especially bend on, since the highway ones have huge frets.

However, it goes out of tune with a capo. Take the bad with the good, I guess.

Try putting it right on the back of the fret. Generally that keeps the tuning where it should be, even with jumbos.

Archived