scolfax

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Technically no they arent "
The 700's use an OEM version of our Fat Paf pickups-
"

In industry language this is saying the pups are a cheap oem piece that slightly resembles a model GFS sells.

OEM Fat PAF sounds like a PC way of saying "the cheapest {censored} artec has" to me.

• Members

I had the same pickup issue. My XV-500 supposedly had GFS pickups. They sounded {censored}ty, so I took 'em out and put Duncans in. I have bought lots of GFS pickups, and they all have GFS embossed into the bottom. The ones in my Xaviere didn't.

Apart from that, I am still enamored by my Xaviere. It's the {censored}!!!

XV-500.jpg

• Members

For some they might be "adequate".

My biggest gripe is they were advertised to be GFS fat pafs. They were not branded GFS, they were made with very cheap parts and sound very much like a stock epiphone pup. Now if these were GFS I don't see what the hype is about. In all honesty with all the glowing reviews of the GFS pups I have serious doubts that the pups that came in my guitar were GFS.

Just ordered replacements for my 1050 pearlfront. Checked the stock pickups, and 'voila....DSC03104.jpg

This explains why these sounded nothing like the Fat PAF reviews, and weren't working out w/my amp setups.

The website clearly states that the guitar I paid for comes with "Genuine. critically acclaimed, GFS FAT PAFs".

Really not happy about this...I e-mailed Jay, we'll see what happens

• Members

Just ordered replacements for my 1050 pearlfront. Checked the stock pickups, and 'voila....
DSC03104.jpg

This explains why these sounded nothing like the Fat PAF reviews, and weren't working out w/my amp setups.

The website clearly states that the guitar I paid for comes with "Genuine. critically acclaimed, GFS FAT PAFs".

I'll be interested in the response you get.

• Members

That's one of the more expensive shelltop models too right? You would think that one of the Xaviere's which used to sell at 800 - 1000 dollars would have the more expensive pups.

• Members

Yeah...you'd think.... I'm a bit miffed about it actually...bought the guitar in part because I'd heard so much good things about the Fat PAFs. A LOT of my customers were knocked out by the guitar,(got it out on a stand) but balked @ the pickups. These are L.A. area pros as well-who'd probably now slag the GFS pickups they thought they heard.....

• Members

Just got this from Jay:

John-

Yeah when we commited to the current line of Xaviere's we had ONLY those fairly generic looking version of the Fat Pafs- IN the 3 years since we've upgraded them 6 times and tooled up for our own baseplates, bobbins and polepieces.

Just send them back with a note and I'm more than happy to send you a brand new retail set of Fat Pafs- Since we're blowing so many of these out with the financial help of our factory- there's no feasible way to swap out the pickups- and our ads are accurate- Version 1 IS a Fat Paf, just not nearly as good as the new versions

Jay

Gotta love that....

• Members

Just got this from Jay:

John-

Yeah when we commited to the current line of Xaviere's we had ONLY those fairly generic looking version of the Fat Pafs- IN the 3 years since we've upgraded them 6 times and tooled up for our own baseplates, bobbins and polepieces.

Just send them back with a note and I'm more than happy to send you a brand new retail set of Fat Pafs- Since we're blowing so many of these out with the financial help of our factory- there's no feasible way to swap out the pickups- and our ads are accurate- Version 1 IS a Fat Paf, just not nearly as good as the new versions

Jay

Gotta love that....

Well thats a nice gesture and all but do I really want to have to tear my guitar apart and wait 2 weeks for new pickups? Jeez

• Members

Well thats a nice gesture and all but do I really want to have to tear my guitar apart and wait 2 weeks for new pickups? Jeez

It seems like a reasonable soution. I guess they could just verify that you bought the guitar and ship the new replacements without requiring the originals returned. I guess this is a way to dissuade you from actually doing it.

Still, it seems really dumb to build up the pups on the website only to ship an inferior/outdated product. It's not a good way to manage expectations, and it seems a bit sneaky.

• Members

It's a nice gesture but if he wanted too do it right he wouldn't ask for the originals back.

My guess would be he's not concerned about retaining customers.

Why do you think he's not interested in retaining customers? This thread, although off topic from the original post, seems like it would stop not only repeat customers but also new customers from buying the guitars.

I doubt we'd get an "official" answer to this question in this thread. I feel bad that I talked up the guitars. Now I feel crappy for doing so. It's a shame because I really enjoy playing the guitar.

• Members

I think Sam Ash on sunset only charges like $40. Not too bad, but yes still more than Im sure a little local place in the midwest per se, would charge.

I'm not big on going to the hassle of changing pickups (don't know how to solder and local techs in Los Angeles charge through the nose) so this is a big complaint for me. I was counting on real GFS's in there. It's strange that it has taken this long for this to come out! You would think that of all the Xavieres that have been sold on this forum someone would have changed the pups by now.

• Members

Wow, I'm very disappointed in the info in this thread. I like my X, and I think the pickups sound good, so maybe I got a real set of GFS ones, I dont know.

But I DO know that after this bit of disinfo, for lack of a better term, I wont be reccomending them to anyone anymore.

• Members

:Originally Posted by dcindc

The AL-3000 has P90s

Perhaps the older ones did. The newest AL-3000's have two Alnico V humbucker pickups.

I meant mine, the one I was comparing, not all of them. And you can't get them that way anymore, and I just sold mine.

Archived