Xaviere XV500 vs. Agile AL-3000

scolfax

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jay may be a damned Yankee but he has always been VERY honest in my dealings with GFS the past few years. If I had a problem I emailed or called and it was fixed pronto thus telling me that Jay is a standup guy who ISN'T trying to rip anyone off. If you don't like your new Ax send it to me!!!

• Members

Well duh- I obviously meant that the new versions sound better to ME- I dialed in a little more clarity as we have revised these- But the originals do sound a little fatter- To each his own. SAME magnets- There's not difference in manufacturing cost really...

But PLEASE- If you want one of these and would like the retail versions- JUST ASK- Happy to oblige...

• Members

I gotta be honest here. I bought an Xaviere XV-850 and Jay was nothing less than great. I had to return the guitar. Jay was nothing less than great. Through emails he responded if not in minutes, within the same day and this was AFTER business hours guys.

I LOVED the sound of the pickups in the XV-850 as well. They sounded wonderful. The inbetween strat sounds were great. I had to turn down
the volume a bit to get them because of the hot wind bridge pickup, but
that is what I wanted in the guitar.

I have a set of fat alnico tele pickups in my tele, they SOUND STELLAR, as many of you hear have heard.

I wouldn't hesitate for a nanosecond to do business with Jay and Guitarfetish
again and again.

Gary

• Members

Riffy why did you return the guitar may I ask? I heard your audio clip and the guitar sounded great.

The guitar did sound great and played great. The reason I returned it was because there was some rippling in the veneer maple top. It was noticably

visible under very bright or stage lights, but not normal light.

That was it... I am a picky guy.

• Members
lol i would never return the guitar just because of some rippling. i would rather have a good sounding and feel guitar than just some nice guitar that has no scratches on it.

They weren't scratches...lol... I told you I was picky didn't I?:D
I have guitars that have scratches. The rippling, while it might
not have bothered others at all, did bother me.

Of the three guitars I have now, all of them sound and play great!

• Members

Just wanted to thank Jay for checking in on this-any other manufacturers you see doing this?

Getting replacements for my pearlfront-looking forward to 'em. Also, ordered some '59 pafs, so yeah, got faith in the Co. still.

On a related note-acoustically, my particular pearlie hung pretty well with a New Zemaitis pearlfront- (and yes, pleasechack pricing on these..)the Z actually comes w/PAF type pickups...Dimarzio DP103 PAFs! Gonna try the fats, GFS PAFs, and the Dimarzios.

• Members

Just to make it clear, I DID say that I love the sound of my 500. And I think it's cool that you're willing to send replacements. I dont know how to make my point any better than I've laready made it though, and I certainly dont want an adversary either. It's a hell of a guitar for the price I paid. On that we agree.

• Members

Just to make it clear, I DID say that I love the sound of my 500. And I think it's cool that you're willing to send replacements. I dont know how to make my point any better than I've laready made it though, and I certainly dont want an adversary either. It's a hell of a guitar for the price I paid. On that we agree.

I didn't think what you had to say was adversarial nor was it mean spirited in the least. I thought your point came across well. I understood very well what you were saying and I would have had the same concerns and questions too bro!

I know this post wasn't directed to me, I just thought I would give you my view on it too!

Gary

• Members

So, are the OEMS of the original fat PAFs better than the current fat PAFs? Anyone try both?

I haven't tried the the currents but what came in my Xaviere was pretty much a stock pup with little tone and lots of mud in the neck.

I really hope the regular GFS pickups are better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

This thread is a little alarming to me since I've been toying with the idea of picking up an XV800 based on other reviews of the guitar and GFS in general. This thread is making me second guess the overall quality level of the Xaviere line but I have to give Jay the benefit of the doubt on this particular issue as his replies do make sense. I know that these forums can make or break a business to a certain extent and it can be a very risky place in which to do business. People have a tendency to complain, and many times they tend to take it public first, out of frustration.

If you have a beef with a relatively small private company, contact them privately first so they have an opportunity to explain it to you or make it right. You're much more likely to be taken care of if you haven't drug them through the mud in a public place first. Then, if they tell you to pound sand, I guess you have a right to take it public to warn everyone else. Businesses close every day and a lot of them deserve to close because they don't treat their customers fairly. Eventually the bad guys are found out and their business suffers. The good guys can also be hurt if we're too quick to slam them publicly before they have a chance to make it right. I guess the jury is still out on GFS for me but my gut somehow tells me the Jay is one of the good guys. Time will tell.

• Members
Not to be a sycophant as DocJeffrey said, but I love my XV-850. the pickups and playability are unmatched by anything I have owned or played in that price range, and sounds better than any guitar I've owned.

Same here. I got a blem XV-850 a few months ago. The pickups are better than the ones in my G&L Trib ASAT. Sounds great. Don't know about humbucker guitars. They all sound muddy to me.

If I could learn to get along with a Tele body, I'd be all over an XV-800. :thu:

• Members

I voted Agile - it's what I know

the X's look interesting but I'm not sure I like the metal embelm on the headstock.

+1 on both counts. I love my PS-900 and the X's metal plates are butt-ugly. GFS's website makes it seem like this is some nice added feature but I think they're tacky.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I am about to buy one. Have a quick question on the blem models. Are the ones for sale on guitarfetish.com blems or regular ones? It doesn't say, but they're extremely cheap. I emailed asking and got a jackass response from an employee named Jay "Your question about all of the models on our site being blems is just silly- and I will not answer it.... ".

I just want to know :/

• Members

Jay can be a bit "pointed" sometimes, I've been on the receiving end of it before myself. You have to understand that he probably gets a lot email and sometimes answers a bit too quickly. Jay owns Guitarfetish, fwiw.

The guitars on the "Clearance Section" are blems, the ones on the "Xaviere Guitars" page are not. They are inexpensive and are a great deal.

• Members

if jay responded to an email like that to me i would be damn sure to shop elsewhere... thats just straight up douchey when it could have been used an opportunity to explain the concept behind GF and make a sale.

but yes his replies to emails in general leave a lot to be desired. i have rarely had a question answered satisfactorily it's always have just gotten a blanket response that was little to no help.

i still buy stuff there on occasion though.

Archived