Tube Amps

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I petition the grand gaggle of enlighted wizards, and masters of the silver strings. Hear my crying out, and most solemn pleas for forgiveness. After communing with the small black box, known to the world of the mundane as the Vox AD30VT, I recognize the error of my ways, and will wander no longer in the fruitless wilderness of the solid state. My vision leaves no room to stray from the glorious cosmos of the vacum tubes. Hear me now, and forgive me my former sins in the realm of printed circuits.

Hear me now when I say "tubes are superior, tubes are superior". Just uttering these words have set my soul free.

BTW - no plans to sell my Bandit.

- w

• Members

Correct. It is a hybrid.

- w

Well, technically the AD30VT can be called a hybrid amp...sure, but that tube mainly contributes to the feel of the amp. Don't get me wrong, Vox makes great digital modeling amps and the AD30VT is no exception, but calling it a tube amp is buying into marketing spin.

• Members

Did you dime the Master?

Hmm, cool band name. Dime the Master.

I've got to wait for the Mrs to duck out for awhile. I had a workshop today, so did not have much chance this afternoon. I played 3 or 4 sessions last night of about 20 minutes each. I actually have the accentuator set at 15watts and been playing with the master volume.

- w

• Members

Hell, wait till you play any all valve amp... I just finished building my first all valve amp and it rocks the socks off my Peavey Heritage hybrid amp... and the Peavey is not a bad sounding amp...

Congrats on your new amp though, those are good little amps. One of my former band mates had one, and it puts out a hell of a sound...

• Members

Well, technically the AD30VT can be called a hybrid amp...sure, but that tube mainly contributes to the feel of the amp. Don't get me wrong, Vox makes great digital modeling amps and the AD30VT is no exception, but calling it a tube amp is buying into marketing spin.

ya. i have found that the tubes are only really working if you are on either of the true channels. the modeling part is SS.

• Members

Hear me now when I say "tubes are superior, tubes are superior".

Some tube amps are. Some aren't.

At the same time, some solid state amps have gotten better and better. Here's an interesting summary until the 90s:

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=469.0

I don't think it includes Pritchard amps.

Billy Gibbons still uses solid state amps at times. At least he did in their recent Storytellers (ZT Lunchbox).

Archived