Tube Amps

Woody_in_MN

• Members

Hate to burst you bubble but the tube portion of the Valvetronix amps isn't really doing much other than providing a load in the power amp circuit to simulate a bit of the tube feel. It's still a solid state power amp and preamp (modeling and effects).

The tube in the power amp section is a 12AX7, which is generally a preamp tube.

Think of it kind of like... Guitar > Solid State Modeling Pre-Amp > Small Line-Level 12AX7-based Power Amp (aka ValveReactor Circuit) > Solid State Power Amp > Speaker

• Members

Have you used an Axe-FX or a zenTera?

Even the most avid Axe-FX users admit that, while the simulations are top drawer, they still don't beat the best tube amps. It's the convenience of all the sounds in one box, plus the ability to play at any volume that makes the Axe-FX so great (versatility).

By the way, Billy Gibbons has been spewing BS about his gear for a long time. He's probably NEVER used SS live in on a recording...he likes to keep people in the dark, so he makes up stuff.

One of the best SS amp stories is Ty Tabor. For years people raved about his tone on the King's X albums. But he was always switching labels on amps and lying about his gear. But, he changed at some point and became open about everything he uses. The amps he was using in those early years were SS. He now uses those little tube modules.

• Members
Even the most avid Axe-FX users admit that, while the simulations are top drawer, they still don't beat the best tube amps. It's the convenience of all the sounds in one box, plus the ability to play at any volume that makes the Axe-FX so great (versatility).

By the way, Billy Gibbons has been spewing BS about his gear for a long time. He's probably NEVER used SS live in on a recording...he likes to keep people in the dark, so he makes up stuff.

One of the best SS amp stories is Ty Tabor. For years people raved about his tone on the King's X albums. But he was always switching labels on amps and lying about his gear. But, he changed at some point and became open about everything he uses. The amps he was using in those early years were SS. He now uses those little tube modules.

I agree about the Axe-FX. Many people use it into a tube power amp. But the sound quality of the unit itself is MUCH better than the typical Line6 stuff people use as a frame of reference. From what I understand, responsiveness is pretty good as well. I'm sure it's not better than the best tube amps, but even "real" tube amps are not as good as the best tube amps :D

Reminds me of an amp shootout I recently attended. There was an amazing variety of tube amps, many of the same model. For example, I think they had 5 Gibson amps from the 50s, as well as 3 or 4 vintage Vox amps. Of the Gibson amps, I liked 2 out of 5. Out of maybe 50 amps, probably less than 10 were truly superb. I fell in love with a Dumble :eek:

My favorite amp is the zenTera, and pretty much all of my amps have been tube amps, including a JCM-800 in the 90s.

Regarding Billy G., I also agree. He tells many stories full of BS. The information about his use of SS amps did not come from him, though. I think he did use SS on Afterburner. I guess the sounds were pretty good for the time.

Interesting stuff about Ty Tabor. I have one or two records by King's X, but I'm not that familiar with their story.

• Members

Hate to burst you bubble but the tube portion of the Valvetronix amps isn't really doing much other than providing a load in the power amp circuit to simulate a bit of the tube feel. It's still a solid state power amp and preamp (modeling and effects).

The tube in the power amp section is a 12AX7, which is generally a preamp tube.

Think of it kind of like... Guitar > Solid State Modeling Pre-Amp > Small Line-Level 12AX7-based Power Amp (aka ValveReactor Circuit) > Solid State Power Amp > Speaker

Correct - the 12AX7 is used for the power amp section. I do think it has a cleaner sound though.

- w

• Members

The single tube in the VT has not much to do with the sound.

It's more or less just for marketing reasons in the circuit.

I don't know how other people think about it, but I tried a VT and didn't like the tone it had. I thought my Vypyr sounded better. Could have been the old strings the guy had on his guitar and the old, cheap cable too.

• Members

Don't be confused. I posted partly tongue in cheek - but I do think the Vox has deeper sound than the SS amps I've had around. Technically it is not a tube tube amp - but it sounds cleaner, deeper to me than the SS amps I've had.

- W

You are confused, you still don't have a tube amp.

You are joking...right?

• Members

Just a general comment - not really aimed at anyone in particular. I was just hoping to have some fun in this thread. I don't know why people are taking this so seriously.

But to recap, the Vox AD30VT does have a 12AX7 power tube. And I like the sound.

In my first post my last statement was I had no plans to sell the Bandit. Which is 100% solid state.

Sorry if people misunderstand, I was half tongue in cheek.

- w

• Members

Ha! "Tube amp" he says! Now that I have my Super Champ XD w/ two 6V6s in the PA , I look down my tube driven nose at you!!

In fact, I'm not sure I can continue to hang around on this site any more. Only a site hosted on a turret board based server with hand soldered, point to point connections and NOS transformers is good enough for the likes of me!

Now, if you'll excuse me I have a few corks to sniff (and, of course reject).

• Members

One of the sweetest tones ever comes from my Marshall MG 15. It sounds so sweet turned to about #3. Heaven in a box.

But, turn it up past 4 and oh, the pain. Makes one hell of a bedroom amp, though.

Now back to your previously recorded cork sniffing...

Archived