Are you a calculated thinker? Figure this out...

Phait

• Members

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/quiz-fsav_takeoff.html

I took a 10 question aviation quiz (as I'm an aviation buff), but I only scored 5.

This question is interesting, and I was half surprised I got it right.

"When temperature increases, what happens to required runway length?"

a) shorter runway

b) longer runway

c) no difference

d) depends on aircraft

Spoiler/answer (highlight) the answer is B. I figured it as follows: since warm/hot air is less dense, it rises. The more air beneath a plane's wings, the more lift is generated. So if the air is less dense, it would require the plane to gain speed a bit longer - thus require a longer runway.

• Members

I'm guessing d, because cooler air is denser, which would increase lift. Warmer air, being less dense would require greater speed to achieve equivalent lift. If I believe b, then that automatically rules out a and c. And this property would be true of all aircraft, so it wouldn't matter what the aircraft is (ruling out d).

I don't fly full-size aircraft, but I fly R/C model aircraft, and there's a tangible difference to the way aircrafts perform in different conditions. IC engines run better in colder air, because the air is denser. We often have to richen the mixer on colder days, as the air has more oxygen than on warmer days.

• Members

I got that one right (BTW, where's the spoiler [highlighted] answer? [EDIT: ah, now that it's in the quote box, I see. White letters. Got it. It was actually faintly visible in the original but I didn't notice it.])

I knew that one because I used to work as a typist in a private detective's office (back when I was taking recording classes) that specialized in stolen aircraft recovery and accident investigation. One of the helicopter accidents I typed up involved an overloaded firefighter chopper in the mountains on a hot day. (The other helicopter accident I recall vividly you do not want to hear about if you ever ride in helicopters. Particularly those sightseeing rides.)

The rest was mostly relatively lucky guesses. I failed with 6 right. Too much jargon... I might have known a little of that stuff a quarter century ago but it's pretty well gone today. I knew I should have upgraded from MS Flight Sim 1.1...

• Members

I'm guessing d, because cooler air is denser, which would increase lift. Warmer air, being less dense would require greater speed to achieve equivalent lift. If I believe b, then that automatically rules out a and c. And this property would be true of all aircraft, so it wouldn't matter what the aircraft is (ruling out d).

Is your name Vizzini? Truly you have a dizzy intellect...

• Members

7/10 and I had help with TO/GA from Phil's response and of course, the op question. So, I should not be allowed to fly just yet. And I really wondered for a few minutes which rudder to apply when the right no. 1 failed. Probably too long in a real world scenario. ;)

• Members

I got 8/10 ...shoulda been 9 but I brain-farted on the crosswind question and had the runway reversed, in my mind.

I did not know the answer to the engine-failure question.

Lose engine on right, lose lift on right. Right rudder to compensate. I guessed right. ;)

Archived