Good amp for taking pedals...

LR Weizel

• Members

I'm looking to replace my AD30VT with an amp of similar cost and size. The AC4TV is the best thing I've seen thus far, but I'm worried the dirt on it will be a bit fizzy, a lot of small cheap tube amps seem to be like that(much like small cheap SS amps). Can be Tube, SS or Modeler as long as it takes pedals well(The AD30VT doesn't).

• Members

I'm looking to replace my AD30VT with an amp of similar cost and size. The AC4TV is the best thing I've seen thus far, but I'm worried the dirt on it will be a bit fizzy, a lot of small cheap tube amps seem to be like that(much like small cheap SS amps). Can be Tube, SS or Modeler as long as it takes pedals well(The AD30VT doesn't).

Have you played an AC4? I've heard that they are very responsive to tone controls on the guitar, which may help.

• Members

Out of the hundreds of posts about the Vox Valvetronix models and using pedals with them I think this might be the second one not giving a glowing YES. All mine respond so nicely to deffernt overdrive/boost pedals.

• Members

Hey friend,

My new company sells a line of affordable tube amps that were designed (and advertised) to specifically work with effects pedals.

They are called the VIBE series ....

http://www.valveampusa.com/products.html

Thanks

Spam... :p;)

But thanks for commenting Mike. I've been checking out all the cool stuff you're bringing into the US ever since I first saw the ads here at HC. I have to say, the stuff (all of it) looks WAY cool. And based on your history in the biz, I would bet it most likely is. If I had the bucks right now, I'd have a Vibe amp, a Valve Bimbo and a couple Exlusive and Tuscany guitars.

And with that said...when are you going to be getting the Rush in stock in the flamed top?

You guys should check out this cool stuff. And this is an unrelated to the company plug. Very nice website (which says alot for the potential quality of the product in a roundabout way) and the videos of the Bimbo point out how you can crunch a bunch at low volumes.

www.valveampusa.com

• Members

Vintage 55 -

Thanks for the words.

All models and colors of amps and guitars not currently in stock will arrive from Italy in December when our next ship sails.

That is one reason you will see all the products currently in stock have been discounted $50 to make room for the new inventory.

The EXLUSIVE guitars and basses (as well as BIMBO and VIBE amps) have been getting the biggest attention.

Thanks Again

Mike Spitzer

www.valveampusa.com

• Members

I didn't think the HT-5 head that I had took pedals very well at all. One of the reasons I returned it. The Bugera V55HD I have now does so extremely well. One of the reasons I like it so much. The main reason, though, is that it is fantastic clean. OD is very good too, but I use a Xotic BB Plus for that.

• Members

The AC4 is voiced darker and more aggressive than most people think. It works fine with pedals. The tone control does not really kick in until the amp is turned up about 1/2 way, but it responds to guitar controls just fine. It doesn't have a fizzy, buzzy overdrive like other small tube amps. The sound is gutsy and ballsy.

Here's a clip with a Gretsch Duo Jet

--

Edit--by the way, on that clip, I had the AC4 running into a 1 x 12" cab with a Celestion Blue.

• Members
They do, but I think they might be out of the OPs price range?

Look at the Roland Cubes cause they have excellent cleans.

This. Get a Cube (I got a 30 for $150 shipped), dial in a clean channel, and leave it there. Get everything else from a pedal front end, and you'll be golden.

• Members

This. Get a Cube (I got a 30 for $150 shipped), dial in a clean channel, and leave it there. Get everything else from a pedal front end, and you'll be golden.

I think that the cube is gonna be pretty much the same as your current amp. Small tube amps have never been cheaper; if it were me, I'd try one. All you need for pedals is something with decent clean headroom. I'm really impressed with what I've seen from the new Marshall Class5. I ordered one--it's gonna be a couple of weeks before they are in stock, but check out the videos. They have the bases covered, clean to crunch.

• Members

Again, if you are a pedal user, you don't need--or want--a bunch of digital models and built-in stomp box effects. The whole idea is to get an amp with a really nice, usable clean TUBE tone. Then you use your pedals instead of switching through a bunch of patches to get a variety of tones.

For gigging, I use a Vox AC15 (I have three different versions all with Celestion Blues). I use the CC1x for my church gig. It sounds amazing clean with both humbuckers and singles. When I want Marshall tones, I kick on my Tonebone Hot British distortion. When I want blues, I use a TS9 handwired clone. For US sounding metal tones, the Jekyll and Hyde is perfect.

The last thing I need is an amp with 10 different models and onboard digital effects. It's just a total waste.

So, start with a basic clean tone that you really like and then let your pedals do their magic.

The Fender 57 Deluxe handwired Custom Shop amp is the ultimate! But it's $2000. There are cheaper alternatives like the Vox AC15CC1, Pro Jr., Blues Deluxe, even the Vox AC4. I'm a firm believer that a good one channel, all tube combo is all you need if you use pedals, like I do:

voxfen.jpg

• Members

By the way, really good stomp boxes are designed to work with TUBE AMPS! Not with digital modelers. They will interact with your preamp and power amp valves to produce great tones. You will find that it is much, much easier to dial in sweet, juicy, tactile, touch responsive tones with just the right amount of sag and harmonic complexity with a nice single channel tube amp.

You will be able to hear your guitar in all of its glory producing musical even-ordered harmonics and chewy tones that can be sculpted using the controls on your guitar and stomp box.

Don't get me wrong--I love digital modelers. But this is the wrong application for them.

• Members

Don't get me wrong--I love digital modelers. But this is the wrong application for them.

That was a long spiel, but I think this is about right.

Though I wouldn't rule out a modeler that could. Maybe one that had an analogue/tube preamp and then applied modeling in the tone stack. I think the blueface Valvetronix do that.

The only thing I'm worried about with the AC4TV(besides still being uncertain of the tone) is that it's only 4 Watts, what if I decide I really like it and I want to gig with it? I could mic it up, but would it be possible to get a power amp to use with it?

I'm wondering though if I should just get a cab for my Lunchbox... it's got some seriously amazing tones on it. It does remind me a bit of how some small vintage tube amps sound.

• Members

Out of the hundreds of posts about the Vox Valvetronix models and using pedals with them I think this might be the second one not giving a glowing YES. All mine respond so nicely to deffernt overdrive/boost pedals.

I can't get my Dirty Bomb to sound anything near right with any of the models. Whereas it sounds great through my Lunchbox.

Archived