Do I want an AC4TV?

LR Weizel

• Members

Basically I'm looking for a good clean amp for pedals, for recording and bedroom jamming. The AC4TV seems to fit the bill but I'm not sure how good it is with Fuzzes and high gain distortions.

It would also be nice to have a giggable amp so I'm considering looking for a JAzz Chorus or saving up for cheap used Tiny Terror instead. The JC has no dirt of it's own though and the TT probably doesn't take pedals well.

I was thinking an AC4TV would be good as I like fuzz throug my AC30 amplug, and I was thinking it might give me Joy Division, Bauhausy kind of dirt. I do like the tone of the Orange a lot too but it's more expensive and from what I've heard not great clean.

The AC4TV does look cute too so that makes it very appealing.

There's quite limited selection as to what I can get here sadly too. Any ideas?

• Members

There are quite a few choices. Fender Champ, Epi Jr, Blackheart and a bunch of others.

I have the AC4. The sound is really very good. If you don't want the Vox sound all the time, though, look around. It does one thing really well but nothing else.

Without any pedals at all, you can get a face full of distortion but the volume has to be full on to get it. I'm looking for a nice overdrive for mine I think. I want to keep the sound that's there but add a little more hair, ya know?

Great little amps. Watch your discounts. I got mine for $214.

EG

• Members

Basically I'm looking for a good clean amp for pedals, for recording and bedroom jamming. The AC4TV seems to fit the bill but I'm not sure how good it is with Fuzzes and high gain distortions.

It would also be nice to have a giggable amp so I'm considering looking for a JAzz Chorus or saving up for cheap used Tiny Terror instead. The JC has no dirt of it's own though and the TT probably doesn't take pedals well.

I was thinking an AC4TV would be good as I like fuzz throug my AC30 amplug, and I was thinking it might give me Joy Division, Bauhausy kind of dirt. I do like the tone of the Orange a lot too but it's more expensive and from what I've heard not great clean.

The AC4TV does look cute too so that makes it very appealing.

There's quite limited selection as to what I can get here sadly too. Any ideas?

Jazz Chorus would work well for a gigging amp, maybe not a JC-120 but a smaller version if you don't want to deal with how enormous the 120 is. The dirt really is non-existent, but it's useful in its own right. Tough to describe, because the amp really doesn't distort all that much at all, but it DOES add something, hard to really say it right. The built-in chorus and vibrato are really great.

AC4 can get cleans at bedroom levels, yeah, as long as you like Vox cleans there's no issue at all.

• Members

The head + cab version of the AC4TV, at 4 watts, can still get plenty loud (and I imagine even louder with a 2x or 4x12). And if the venue you're gigging at has a PA you can use to bolster the amp, then it should be easily doable.

And you're right, they *are* damn cute.

• Members

The AC4 is 'Vox' tone. If you know what that is already and like it, then it's a good amp (possibly marginal for gigging, but if you can mic it you're golden). When I had mine, I found it took pedals well...I got rid of it in the end because the 'Vox' tone is not for me.

• Members

Has anyone actually gigged with one yet?

I can't think of any venues where I wouldn't be able to, and I always have my Lunchbox if not.

I gig mine in stereo w/ my DRRI. Sounds great, but it needs to be miked.

If you're looking for a clean amp, look elsewhere. The Amp sounds amazing with SCs, but I'd agree with the fizziness with HBs. It doesn't have a lot of headroom, but it is an awesome little amp. I love mine.

• Members

I'm not sure how good it is with Fuzzes and high gain distortions.

Friend of mine just bought one a few months ago. He's been checking out what people are using with this amp and he hearing good things about the AC4TV teamed up with a Bad Monkey pedal.

• Members

I got one last week and have been checking it out some. Mine seems to like P90's and SC better than humbuckers as it gets just the wee bit muddy. But on the bridge hum p/u it's fine. The 4 watt setting has the best tone with 1 watt following and 1/4 watt being the weakest tone wise.

• Members

Look at a Vox Pathfinder 15R. I love mine. Reverb could be better but its the sweetest sounding soild state I have heard. It gets great cleans and plenty of cruchy overdrive. I am a blues southern rock guy and it fits the bill. I found the TV amps not am to do several things good, one thing good but they don't clean up enough for me.

Kirk

• Members

I can't even make it through a band practice with a 5 watt amp. Those amp get drowned out by the drums, bass and vocals. Everybody keeps saying that you can gig with it if mic'd through the PA. Well, yeah, if the place has a stage monitor for every musician in the band. I do know of few venues like that, but most seem to have basic 2 speaker PA systems. What are you going to do, point one of the monitors back at yourself so you can hear it and the other one at your drummer, then just hope the bass player plus singer hear it too? If you have a second guitarist, your fecked! :lol:

5 watt are going to be hard to hear at a gig unless you play in a two piece band. If the venue is just right, you might be able to get away with it in a three piece mic to PA, but it's going to be problematic in plenty of bars.

:wave:

• Members

I can't even make it through a band practice with a 5 watt amp. Those amp get drowned out by the drums, bass and vocals. Everybody keeps saying that you can gig with it if mic'd through the PA. Well, yeah, if the place has a stage monitor for every musician in the band. I do know of few venues like that, but most seem to have basic 2 speaker PA systems. What are you going to do, point one of the monitors back at yourself so you can hear it and the other one at your drummer, then just hope the bass player plus singer hear it too? If you have a second guitarist, your fecked!
:lol:

5 watt are going to be hard to hear at a gig unless you play in a two piece band. If the venue is just right, you might be able to get away with it in a three piece mic to PA, but it's going to be problematic in plenty of bars.

:wave:

this.

yesterday I had the chance to try out a blackstar HT5 mini full stack w/both cabs. I was at GC and I dimed the volume on the clean channel and when no one came running to tell me to turn it down, I knew it would never be loud enough to do a gig or full band rehearsal with. It really wasn't that loud at all.

Archived