AHHHHHHH! GAS!

mnewb1

• Members

yay for fake mojo!

Dude, you can Fake Mojo all you want.. but I played this guitar A-B ing it against a lot of guitars and it blew them away, that is why I'm interested, not because of the relic... I could care less about the relic... but part of the problem I have with the Gilmour strat is that the new nitro finish on the neck makes it Sticky and difficult to play.

I didn't start the thread to be a debate about relic guitars

• Members

The back of the neck looks comfy on it; how'd it feel?

Neck felt great...a deep C-shaped neck. The hand glides effortlessly!

totally different then the gilmour strat which is real sticky...some day it will be worn in but this thing is already amazing.

• Members

One of the best Strats I ever played was a custom shop relic. Didn't so much like it for the relic part - but the whole thing had this nice broken in feeling, played like butter, and sounded amazing too.

Personally, I think that guitar you put on hold kicks butt. :D

• Members

That guitar looks great.

If it is something you've wanted a long time and can afford, go for it.

If it is "new" GAS, give it a month. If you still have gas, buy the guitar (or one like it).

Alternate plan: buy a similar 70s copy, get a luthier to relic it for you, pocket the extra thousand.

• Members

That guitar looks great.

If it is something you've wanted a long time and can afford, go for it.

If it is "new" GAS, give it a month. If you still have gas, buy the guitar (or one like it).

Alternate plan: buy a similar 70s copy, get a luthier to relic it for you, pocket the extra thousand.

good point...I have been wanting another guitar and almost bought a second Les Paul because it was an amazing guitar, luckily someone else bought it while I debated. I have been looking at another PRS too but I do have one already and while a 513 would be unique, I don't want to just add a guitar that doubles the sonic spectrum I already cover. So a Strat seems to be a good bet, I do want to get my Gilmour on which is why I was interested in the Gilmour Strat. But I found this one that simply plays much better and costs less.

• Members

They put all that time in to relicing it and didn't even use period correct finishes. The finish should be all poly with the exception of the front of the peghead, which should be nitro and should be much yellower than the rest of the neck. That would be correct for a '67 to '79 or so Strat.

• Members

They put all that time in to relicing it and didn't even use period correct finishes. The finish should be all poly with the exception of the
front
of the peghead, which should be nitro and should be much yellower than the rest of the neck.
That
would be correct for a '67 to '79 or so Strat.

Yea, I read that this was a special run done for NAMM in 2006 and that it was not done as a reproduction of a 69 but more of a tribute to the era.

• Members

Was at elderly today and put this guitar on hold, I have two days to decide

I was trying to fall in love with he Glimour strat again but this thing played circles around it. Thay also have some amazing in store prices on the custom shop guitars right now.

Dang GAS!

Very cool looking guitar and especially since you say it plays circles around your current Strat!

I hope you decide to keep it.

:thu:

• Members

Lol, you do this in a lot of threads don't you? First the dragonburst thread where you post your own picture and now this? Very opinionated this one is.

I pay just as much to use this website as you do. That gives me the same rights as it does you. :poke:

• Members

I pay just as much to use this website as you do. That gives me the same rights as it does you. :poke:

Woah cowgirl, I'm not like "The Man" coming down on your "rights".

Just an observation.

An my observation is that I would play the guitar posted above because it probably plays nicer than any strat I've had my hands on.

• Members

I'm not sure if I played the identical guitar or not, but the one I played was at Guitar Center for $2,899. Custom Shop logo of course and I think it was called a 69 Heavy Relic.

Same colors, large headstock and it was literally one of the two or three nicest playing and sounding strat I've ever played and I'm 36 and have been looking at strats for about 26 of those years. I'd put it on par with any vintage strat I've ever played and quite a bit ahead of all the 69 - 70s strats I've played.

There's no way I could justify that kind of coin, but if I were to and I got something new, that would be at the top of a very short list. In fact, the guitar sold at guitar center in less than a week which is pretty impressive for Indy. But if anyone played that guitar that was looking for a beat up looking strat and had the money, they were going to buy it.

At the time, I was pretty impressed with the tone of the guitar. I probably played it through a Fender Super Sonic or a DRRI which are my go-to amps. Having played on Doc Morbius's strats with Fat50s and CS54s I definitely prefer the 54s along with the Duncan Anitquities, but it's still a great sounding set of pickups.

I say if you can comfortably spend the money, do it. :thu:

• Members

Why are you waiting 2 days? You could be home playing it right now.

Or you could be letting your teenage kids play it as there is no worry about them putting a ding or scratch on it.

Surfy

When spending that much money, I like to cool down for a moment and think.

But I certainly understand the sentiment!

Archived