Gibson SG Standard. Rhythm guitar only or NOT?

O.G.T.V.

• Members

You beat me to the punch on FZ. IMHO, the world's most underrated lead guitarist.

But that stuff about custom guitars, that was a joke, right?
:cry:

Not a joke. It might be wrong though. I did a quick google, and found a page describing FZ's guitars, mentioning that they were custom builds. I can't find that page now, but here's another one that says that FZ's Roxy SG was effectively a custom. http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/zappa.html

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know this may sound overly simple to many. But I often find that adjusting pup blend for rythum and for lead makes a real difference a lot of the time. or adjusting the tone control down a bit for leads.

Have you adjusted the pups pole peices to give you best to you solo voice for each pup solo'd? And then adjusted the relative to each other height of the pups to each other for best voice when running both pups full on? Lots have used SG's quite well for both rythum and lead. If adjusting the pups and perhaps overdrive/distortion level for each doesnt do it for you, then pup replacement is prob best choice. Not necc both pups though. In some cases just replacing the bridge or just the neck pup will do the trick. This can in part be due to how the new pup interacts with the stock pup for blended voice.

• Members

I know this may sound overly simple to many. But I often find that adjusting pup blend for rythum and for lead makes a real difference a lot of the time. or adjusting the tone control down a bit for leads.

Have you adjusted the pups pole peices to give you best to you solo voice for each pup solo'd? And then adjusted the relative to each other height of the pups to each other for best voice when running both pups full on? Lots have used SG's quite well for both rythum and lead. If adjusting the pups and perhaps overdrive/distortion level for each doesnt do it for you, then pup replacement is prob best choice. Not necc both pups though. In some cases just replacing the bridge or just the neck pup will do the trick. This can in part be due to how the new pup interacts with the stock pup for blended voice.

I had been thinking of that, but I'm kinda scared. I had never mod a guitar in my life, and since is my Gibson (my best guitar) I'm ever more picky, but if it does the trick it...I'll do it! I had been checking for Seymour Duncan n' Dimarzios, but I still haven't made a choice neither know which one to replace. I feel the weaker one is the bridge one, but at the same time I like it for some stuff.

• Members
I had been thinking of that, but I'm kinda scared. I had never mod a guitar in my life, and since is my Gibson (my best guitar) I'm ever more picky, but if it does the trick it...I'll do it! I had been checking for Seymour Duncan n' Dimarzios, but I still haven't made a choice neither know which one to replace. I feel the weaker one is the bridge one, but at the same time I like it for some stuff.

really, that isn't going to solve the problem. And if the bridge pickup is lower output than the neckm and you don't want it that way, why don't you adjust them both to how you want your balance to be?

• Members

really, that isn't going to solve the problem. And if the bridge pickup is lower output than the neckm and you don't want it that way, why don't you adjust them both to how you want your balance to be?

I can't man! Then the set-up could be kinda spoiled cuz of the lower action. Looks like I can make bridge pickup a little higher, but more than that not cuz it will buzz.

• Members

You are from English, Wat?

Pardon me. English ain't my main language!

What I was trying to say is that...if I lift up the bridge humbucker (the weaker one) a little more it will touch strings, making buzz, and killing the set-up. I have a low action set-up, and I don't want to spoil it now!:facepalm:

I still can put it more close to the strings, but I don't know if the pickup's magnet will affect making the guitar sound untuned or bad. That's the situation of the thing of the pickups. Still...maybe the solution is the new amp.

If I could just now more about guitars, amps, and gear!:cry:

• Members

I have an SG Standard...2005 like the OP's and it is quite possibly the best middy rich rock lead tone of all my guitars...even my LP Standard. The LP has more sustain but the actual tone for OD sounds at least - the SG wins! Angus and Iommi are all the proof anyone could need to know that SG's flat out ROCK! All that mahogany = smooth rich mids. Just the ticket for overdriven rock tones! Were I feel my SG is lacking is in the clean sounds - its too dark sounding and lacks sparkle! The very things that make it great from OD sounds are the same things that go against it for great cleans! Its all mids!!

• Members

That's the situation of the thing of the pickups. Still...maybe the solution is the new amp.

If I could just now more about guitars, amps, and gear!

Gibson published a web article about pickup adjustment. The gist of it was "right up on the strings isn't always the best way to go in order to improve tone." You should try a few different heights and see which position sounds best. You also should take your Guitar to a nearby store with a decent amp inventory and try a few with your specific guitar. The odds are that you'll find it has more to do with your amp/setup.

• Members

Started running this pedal...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-OS2-OverdriveDistortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=151336

thru the burned FX Loop of my amp and it worked:eek::thu:

I used the Metal Zone at front (like I always do) and it sounded good. Don't know how it will sound at a high volumes, but it sounded nice, and like it gave my guitar ''life'' with the boost and the bridge pickup had ''balls''. I'm happy for it since the guitar volume also became sensible to the vol. adjustment.

I bought some new cables @ MF's to run it full (volume) force soon!

I'll keep you all updated.

(Pardon my lack of words here. they got me on the cellphone now:facepalm:)

• Members

I used to have a standard but got rid of it because of terrible fretwork and some of the same issues you seem to be having, so maybe it's a bad guitar? :/

I've got an SG faded these days, though, and it kicks the living {censored} out of the standard I had, haha.

On the other hand, I tend to tune a little lower and I don't play anything near to what you're playing, and I've got a very mid and treble-rich head running through V30's at the moment, so I don't have any issues cutting through, although I play in B or C...

Just my two cents.

• Members

Pardon me. English ain't my main language!

What I was trying to say is that...if I lift up the bridge humbucker (the weaker one) a little more it will touch strings, making buzz, and killing the set-up. I have a low action set-up, and I don't want to spoil it now!
:facepalm:
I still can put it more close to the strings, but I don't know if the pickup's magnet will affect making the guitar sound untuned or bad. That's the situation of the thing of the pickups. Still...maybe the solution is the new amp.

If I could just now more about guitars, amps, and gear!

You're saying that your bridge pickup is high enough that it'll be hitting the strings if you raise it a little higher? Crank that pickup down a couple of notches and see what you get. I'm guessing you have your bridge pickup set too high, and it's not hitting the "sweet spot."

• Members

Angus Young

Tony Iommi

Robbie Krieger

and...

Eric Clapton

Mama Cass

Frank Zappa

Pete Townshend

Alex Lifeson

Santana

Derek Trucks

Duane Allman

Greg Allman

Jerry Garcia

all think you need some more fiddling with your sound. They all got good sounds out of their SGs.

• Members

On the other hand, I tend to tune a little lower and I don't play anything near to what you're playing, and I've got a very mid and treble-rich head running through V30's at the moment, so I don't have any issues cutting through, although I play in B or C...

Just my two cents.

I have a Faded SG, and was not overly happy w it's stock pick ups.

After i gave it some SD A2P's, i can not be happier !

Archived