New Microsoft Store....poor Apple!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sure is - announcing their new iMac s that run windows 7 is a form of flattery isn't it.

All PCs use pretty much the same hardware these days. The only real difference is in the OS, and Apple and Microsoft have ripped each other off so many times they're getting indistinguishable. But that's fine with me, because it makes it really easy to go back and forth between the two operating systems.

• Members

All PCs use pretty much the same hardware these days. The only real difference is in the OS, and Apple and Microsoft have ripped each other off so many times they're getting indistinguishable. But that's fine with me, because it makes it really easy to go back and forth between the two operating systems.

I agree - and from what I'm hearing from the aussie IT people they are equally good operating systems, as it should be.

I just wish they'd show a new imac with all the ports connected. Not a pretty sight I'd imagine. :)

• CMS Author

I was in an Apple store for the first time this past week. I wanted to see what I'd get and how much it cost if I wanted an iPod Touch to run the Studio Six audio suite. I played with one for about 10 minutes, nobody came over to help me, I discovered that it was possible to on on line with it, I found that the screen was totally inadequate for reading any amount of text, and I put it down and walked out.

Sometimes I really like a store where you can shop without being bothered. We used to have a local Gateway Computers store and I went in there a couple of times when shopping for a new laptop computer. The salesmen would pounce on you within half a minute, always. I guess I never shopped at a busy time, or maybe it was never a busy time. I ended up buying a Dell.

• Members

+1

Both Operating Systems work pretty well, and both suck. Because they've copied each other so much, they both work great and suck in very similar ways.

However, until/unless the Hackintosh market (like

) really takes off in a mainstream way, only Mac computers are really good at running both operating systems on the same computer.

I just wish more music/audio software manufacturers would produce cross-platform software. It's really cool to use software like Ableton Live, Propellerheads Reason, etc. on either system. I wish Sonar, DP, Logic, etc., would also work on both.

• Members

The concept of opening a store was not invented by Apple.
:)

Of course not. But Apple's stores do have an identifiable look and layout that Microsoft seems to have appropriated -- right down to the t-shirt wearing employees. The only difference seems to be that the t-shirt colors match the color scheme of Microsoft's logo.

If I were a Windows user who was proud of the differences between Microsoft and Apple, I would be disturbed by the lack of individuality exhibited by Microsoft's new leadership.

It's true that both companies have ripped each other off over the years. But this makes it look like Apple's the leader and Microsoft's the follower, which hasn't always been the case.

Microsoft should have found a way to distinguish themselves from Apple. Instead, they look like Apple wannabees; and they've done themselves a great disservice.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

The one or two times I've been in an Apple store it felt like being around a bunch of Scientologists. I use Linux, but Linux peeps are nowhere near as snobby as Mac peeps.

And since Macs are so great, why bother telling people you can run Windows on it? You should just break with Windows and move to Apple. This is Apple's way of saying their OS really can't run everything you need. :lol:

• Members

+1

I just wish more music/audio software manufacturers would produce cross-platform software.

I strongly disagree - both from a technical perspective and from a political/ economics perspective.

From a political/ economics perspective: Competition is a good thing

• Members

Well... that was a solid waste of 1'14"...

When MS puts their mind to it -- and keeps their own Mac fanboyz out of the decision process -- they can make a good OS. (XP comes immediately to mind; Win7 seems promising -- but only if they've got past the UI sluggishness that made Vista seem even slower than OS X (at least in the default configuration, with the the CPU and GPU- guzzling rescaling graphics engine --the emabarrsingly me-too named Aero -- running).

For guys like me, the charm of XP has been stability and efficiency. I get on my pal's much faster Macs and I'm often struck by how sluggish the UI seems. (Things are definitely much better with today's fast Intel chips. The old G4 and G5 Macs under OS X often just seemed to me to crawl.)

That said, I've often noted that others' Windows machines often seem sluggish -- and they often are, because those folks often have buckets of crapware running in the background, everything from Apple's own QuickTime Updater (which often seems virus-like to those trying to keep it out of their boot profile) to background anti-virus scanning that typically misses most current threats, a big drag on any system, to all the garbage and systray-ware that came loaded on the machine by short-sighted PC makers taking kickbacks for default-installed programs that are little more than come-ons and ads.

There is one of many places where Apple is so much smarter than Windows PC makers -- they go to long lengths to make sure their machines work great out of the box and that the user's experience is slick and sweet. While our friends at HP, Dell, Sony, et al, junk up their machines with offer-, ad-, and come-on-ware that bogs them down from the word go...

• Members

Like the Apple store, I'd imagine Microsofts stores will be located in high rent areas...

Scottsdale is definitely upscale. I'll pop in and see what the shop is like.

The sound on that video is awful, and their behavior ridiculous.

• Members

here's what Dell are offering

That makes me think it was designed with owners of the new Camaro in mind... sort of like the duocolor potty-lid iMac laptops seemed to be designed to coordinate with New Beetles. (And at the trendy So Cal coffee house I often have hung out in, that ownership combination was frequently sighted, typically with matching color schemes.)

Anyhow, that Alienware lappy is almost as ugly as the new Camaro. But I guess it spells testosterone to those who get theirs from consumer products.

• Members

That makes me think it was designed with owners of the new Camaro in mind... sort of like the duocolor potty-lid iMac laptops seemed to be designed to coordinate with New Beetles. (And at the trendy So Cal coffee house I often have hung out in, that ownership combination was frequently sighted, typically with matching color schemes.)

Anyhow, that Alienware lappy is almost as ugly as the new Camaro. But I guess it spells
testosterone
to those who get theirs from consumer products.

Although I wouldn't buy one, I think the new Camaro looks pretty cool. A LOT of other people seem to agree. I'd guess you are in the minority with your opinion on its appearance.

• Members

One more thing about Microsoft's choice of Scottsdale: the Phoenix area -- of which Scottsdale is a part -- is a common testing ground for new products. That's because most people in Phoenix moved there from somewhere else in the US. If new products go over well, or not so well, in Phoenix, it's assumed that they'll fare about the same in the rest of the country.

The debut of the Microsoft store in Scottsdale may just be a testing of the water rather than a committal to a full-scale launch.

Best,

Geoff

Archived