Overrated / Underrated Guitar Players - List them

metronumb

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Derek Trucks overrated?

He's not good, he's awesome. He single handedly resurrected the ABB.

And everybody loves killing Slash around here. It's amazing how G&R was such a great band with a lousy guitarist like Slash.

And Mike Campbell adds nothing to a song? Well, maybe if you get your head out of your ass you could hear him better.

• Members
Overrated: Jack White

He's {censored}.

I was wondering how long it would take to see this name. I'm actually surprised it took this long.
I for one love him and he's easily one of my favorite current day musicians. There are definitely more technically skilled guitarists out there without a date but I admire his overall musicianship and enjoy almost everything he has done. Lately I've been really digging The Dead Weathers and hope to see more from that lineup as well.
But he definitely seems to be a very polarizing person, people either love him or hate him with not much in between. Of course usually that means they're onto something. That something just isn't for everyone.

• Members
Overrated: Jack White

He's {censored}.

Amen brotha! I can't stand when he is mentioned in a best guitarist poll or list. He is simply a singer/ songwriter that plays guitar. Same with Curt Cobain. They sold a lot of records, but they are still average guitarists.

Just because someone is influential to their genre of music does not automatically put them into the arena of great guitarists, as well as negate their true technical skills on guitar.

• Members
Overrated: Joe Bananamassa or whatever his name is, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, John Mayer, Derek Trucks

Underrated: Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Michael Shenker

Yeah I know.... Only white guy blues players retreading the same tired licks through the same tired gear know how to play the guitar and so must always be handed bags of cash and constant praise and attention from major media sources.

The guys I mentioned for the most part have had plenty of attention from fellow guitar players and industry insiders (hugely influential to new players) but have never really been given the keys to the money press like the white guy blues players.

In Asian markets that give those guys a fair shake at ad money and media access they sell out stadiums. Underrated.

dear god this post is just plain hilarious

• Members

Overrated: Me. (Somebody actually told me I was good)

See avatar (Justin Hayward) for who I think is underrated, though I've already piped up about him.

Chet Atkins I want to say is also underrated, though lots of guitarists know him and think he was good. He just doesn't seem to get the notoriety that other "guitar masters" get.

As for any kind of thread like this, YMMV.