Overrated / Underrated Guitar Players - List them

metronumb

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Just because someone is influential to their genre of music does not automatically put them into the arena of great guitarists
, as well as negate their true technical skills on guitar.

Doesn't it? technical ability =/= great guitar player. Great guitar players are people who make you want to play guitar, wether its how they dance with the axe or how fast they can sweep.

• Members
Hmmmm...

...wish I was underrated. Seems like a lot of the players in that category on this thread have been filling stadiums, selling millions of records and had BJs on demand for DECADES...

McDonald's outsells Whataburger by a ridiculous margin, but that doesn't make it better.

• Members

I don't mean to offend, simply letting off my personal thoughts! :)

Overrated:

Jimmy Page; He's still one of my favorites, but I personally find his talent to fluctuate all over the place between performances and the studio.

Underrated:

Robby Krieger; He could play the blues very well, he could play flamenco ver well. I use a lot of his blues licks, and some of his solos I find more memorable than some stuff from the blues greats.

Jack White; I find he is often bashed for his tone and/or playing, but I see him as a pioneer. His solo tone (generally characterized by a cheap guitar with a big muff and a digitech octave up) I find very unique, and easy to pick out of the whole lot of people just using overdrive. He gets up there and plays the blues, something thats getting rarer. And he does it with the original rough, gritty and emotional sound you can hear on the real early blues recordings (e.g. Robert Johnson).

Just my 2 cents here, I don't mean to start any qualms!

• Members

not gonna do the overrated thing but underrated:

Peter Green

George Harrison

Dickie Betts

Les Paul

Joe Walsh/Don Felder

Don Rich

Albert Collins

Johnny Copeland

Danny Kirwan

Luther Allison

Mississippi Fred McDowell

Rory Gallagher

Roy Rogers(blues guitarist)

Grant Green

Steve Goodman

just to name a few

• Members

I've slagged on him in a few threads...but I am asking with all honesty...

What is it that Mike Campbell does well? I just don't get it. I hear guys that support singer songwriters that make Campbell sound like a 15 year old.

To me....

So for all you Campbell lovers...help me hear it...tell me in musical terms, what I am missing....

• Members

That's your opinion. The
fact
is that Eddie is one of the best and most creative rhythm guitarist in rock.

I'm sorry, yes that's an opinion. I'm sure you know that I'll never agree with your statement. I personally believe there were better, more creative guitarists (rhythm and lead) before Eddie Van Halen. I can probably think of a whole lot of music that you would like that can be argued as more creative than Van Halen. Unless Van Halen is your favorite band of all time and you have a crush on Eddie.

Mike Campbell...well, to me, he does what he does and he doesn't do it badly. I feel he's a solid guitarist & the Heartbreakers have put out some noteworthy music.

I totally agree on Dean DeLeo. I've always enjoyed his playing.