Overrated / Underrated Guitar Players - List them

metronumb

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Overrated: Eric Johnson - great player, no doubt, but everyone talks about his tone with such awe, and honestly it's not even in my top 100. His performances at the Crossroads Festival shows were pretty ho-hum. Maybe I need to listen to him more, but he's never blown me away

These are a few videos that I think are great representations of EJ at his best:

[YOUTUBE]EWgWPcbUcL8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]IxuEFUKJQwk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]mV5dMDId7uY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]PGrtGQ_0-m0[/YOUTUBE]

And my favourite studio performance of his:

[YOUTUBE]aGI2zUsDkHw[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

In Rock?

Over: Mike Campbell. WTF. There are a MILLION guys that render a song on the guitar better than him. He adds NOTHING...EVER...He doesn't even "play for the song" well. Not even a good minimalist. Yecch.

Under: Roger Fisher from Heart. His parts from their early stuff (Dreamboat Annie, Magazine, Little Queen and Dog and Butterfly) were VERY well crafted and well arranged. Thoughtful and gutsy and ALWAYS made the song better.

In Metal?

Over: Hammett. Just don't even say shit here, o.k.?

Under: Ollie Herbert. Each solo is a mini composition of an astounding quality.

In Jazz and Fusion?

Over: John McGlaughlin. Love his playing, but since the acoustic stuff, he ain't added much to the ongoing dialog that is jazz and fusion.

Under: Allan Holdsworth. In jazz circles, he is finally, finally, finally getting his due.

• Members

Well my standard reply for underrated threads, and it's backed even further by the fact that his name hasn't been mentioned in this one yet, is none other than Dean DeLeo from STP...damn if he isn't about as innovative and tasteful as it gets, rarely overplays or is self-indulgent...just a rock solid pro anyway you slice it...

• Members

Underrated: Link Wray. Sure, he didn't have incredible chops and had one hit, but damned if you don't hear his name enough for basically, oh i dunno, inventing the power chord and thus rock and roll as we know it. Even though we all know it's a joke, he's not even in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There would be no Rock and Roll Hall of Fame without him!

• Members

Rivers doesn't even play guitar anymore. From what I hear he just picks up an acoustic for one song and then smashes it.
:facepalm:

I hear they are making a new Happy Days video where Rivers dresses up as Fonzie and jumps the shark.

A simple, "I don't really like Weezer anymore" would have sufficed.