famous guitarists who are also big collectors/gearheads/geeks?

jjpistols

• Members

He wasnt so much of a collector, but he was definitely a gearhead/geek
;)

Probably the ultimate gearhead/geek along with Raymond Scott.

If you don't know who Raymond Scott is, check the website dedicated to him. You know his music: he wrote most of the whacky Bugs Bunny music. Besides that, how many accomplished musicians do you know who build/design/invent their own recording studios, sequencers, synthesizers and other contraptions, all that in the 40s and 50s?

To me, Les Paul and Raymond Scott should always be mentioned together. Between the two of them, they invented all modern recording techniques.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believe Wilco's Chicago loft has an overabundance of guitars....Tweedy himself seems to like alot of SG's.

both Tweedy and Nels Cline are gear geeks. Lee Ranaldo seems pretty geeky too about his offsets, I don't think Thurston Moore is so much.

J Mascis apparently just has guitars everywhere in his house according to Thurston Moore. I think J is more geeky about amps and pedals though.

• Members

Alex Lifeson has only occasionally hinted at an extensive collection of guitars and amps. I have my doubts as to whether he's big on rare guitars, though. I could be wrong.

Of course, he and Rush are well known tech geeks, having incorporated various technologies into their live shows and recordings since the mid 70s.

• Members

Steven Segal has a killer collection if he counts.

Ace Frehley used too have 200+ guitars and George Lynch had a warehouse full of Marshalls as well as guitars at one time.

Funny the mention of Gilbert. A guy locally Sean Baker has bought around 5 of Pauls personal Ibanez's from him.

I heard Paul only owns about 50 guitars these days.

Only 50?? :lol:

And, no, Steven Segal NEVER counts. Puhlease.

Archived